Invasion from the Unknown (1.80.2) for Wesnoth 1.8

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

Invasion from the Unknown (1.80.2) for Wesnoth 1.8

Post by Iris »

This current thread is related to development and discussion of IftU 1.70.x and 1.80.x for Wesnoth 1.7.x / 1.8.x only.

This add-on won't correctly unless you are using Wesnoth 1.7.7 or later.

Feedback and artwork development threads:

Older discussion threads:

Download instructions:

The latest release is 1.80.2 and it is intended to work with Wesnoth 1.7.7 or later only.

The latest version of this add-on can be obtained directly from the official add-ons server, or from the URLs below: The release notes for the first version of this series follows. For the latest version's release notes, go to the thread's last post and skim from there upwards.
Old:
Last edited by Iris on November 9th, 2009, 10:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Invasion from the Unknown (1.70.0) for Wesnoth 1.7/1.8 ONLY

Post by Iris »

There were apparently a few odd changes in the AI since 1.6, so the enemy boss in scenario 7 (and probably others in which they cannot recruit) will run away, scared from the player instead of attacking anything on its way. Thanks to Crab there's a fix for that now, but it will take Wesnoth 1.7.7 to be released first. For now, just pretend the bug isn't there. :augh:

edit: To those who are already tracking mainline SVN trunk, I remind you that since this add-on is hosted by the Wesnoth-UMC-Dev project, there are always newer updates between releases in the repository's trunk, on http://wesnoth-umc-dev.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wesnoth-umc-dev/trunk/Invasion_from_the_Unknown. If you have a working SVN client, you can track that instead of downloading from the add-ons server. The aforementioned bugfix is already both in mainline and in IftU's trunk.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
docrock

Re: Invasion from the Unknown (1.70.0) for Wesnoth 1.7/1.8 ONLY

Post by docrock »

hi, once again playing IftU, this time on BfW 1.7.6. got to "Over the Sands" and encountered no problems so far except the alternate ending of this scenario leading to the mountain pass not triggering. i am not that good with WML but i'd guess it's something with the filter for the movement event. btw, great rework of that map, much better now and much more interesting.
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
Iris
Site Administrator

Invasion from the Unknown (1.70.1) for Wesnoth 1.7/1.8 ONLY

Post by Iris »

Version 1.70.1 is out! (But hasn't been uploaded to SF.net yet.)

This version has very few significant changes because I've not been able to concentrate on playtesting lately. There are two outstanding bugs that are not fixed in this release:
  • The alternative ending to scenario 4 (Over the Sands) doesn't work.
  • Scenario 5a (Crossfire) may become unwinnable under some conditions. None of the (two) reporters has provided a reliable method to reproduce.
  • Many other bugs which have not been reported by people
An important change introduced in this release is disabling the effects of plague for various enemy units which were never intended to be raised as walking corpses in the first place. Scenarios 10 and 11 also have new minimum starting gold settings which should make them possible to beat/survive when low on resources. Also, lots of changes have been made in the hope of making arcane users less effective alone against foes.

Maintaining IftU has become increasingly difficult for me because interfers with the development of its sequel, After the Storm (see blog post), Thunderstone, and improvements for the Wesnoth-UMC-Dev Project.

If anyone who has spare time, patience, and a fair deal of experience with WML is interested in maintaining IftU, please contact me by PM before November 18th. Anyone who is interested in becoming co-maintainer should be able to:
  • Learn to work with the infrastructure provided by the Wesnoth-UMC-Dev Project, which hosts this and other add-ons. That is, they'll still have to work with me as one of the Wesnoth-UMC-Dev admins and the campaign's creator/lead maintainer, and keep in touch with us using the IRC channel as described in the website.
  • Provide a summary of their technical skills, and specify the Wesnoth version and operating system they use.
  • Provide a single paragraph with an appropriate explanation of why they want to help maintain IftU.
At most, one co-maintainer will be chosen if everything goes fine. There won't be cake. Working as this campaign's maintainer/co-maintainer is not exactly the easiest and most pleasant volunteer job out there and I won't be surprised if I don't get any applications. You have been warned.
xdarkfirex1

Re: Invasion from the Unknown (1.70.1) for Wesnoth 1.7/1.8 ONLY

Post by xdarkfirex1 »

i am new to this forum but not to wesnoth and i'm pretty sure i haven't done anything wrong but i have wesnoth 1.7.8/ 1.8.2 beta and my invasion from the unknown isn't working.
i have the most recent version and it's only the first part that isn't working. it always has a pop-up thing that says "unknown scenario 01_border_patrol" when i try to play on easy and i know this isn't anything to big but i just wanted to quickly go through the story again and see the changes. if you could fix this then that would be great and if you can't it's not that huge a deal.
p.s. i have tried deleting then reinstalling.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

That's very strange; it doesn't happen here. Do you have any other add-ons installed?
xdarkfirex1

Post by xdarkfirex1 »

i have most other add-ons installed.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Okay, that could be cause problems; in any case, could you attach a copy of the stderr output just before receiving that error message?

If you are on Windows, the stderr log is located on <wesnoth installation path>\stderr.txt; on Linux and MacOS X you'll need to run Wesnoth from a text terminal emulator and watch the output.
xdarkfirex1

Post by xdarkfirex1 »

could you put those instructions in a more simple format because i am not a computer programmer person like person
p.s. i just checked and it's 1.7.9/1.8.2 not 7.8
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Basically the last part of the Technical Support bug reporting guide - except for posting on this thread. It doesn't have anything to do with programming, really. :P

It's 1.7.9 a.k.a. 1.8 beta 2, by the way. 1.8.2 does not exist yet.
xdarkfirex1

Post by xdarkfirex1 »

this is what is in the stderr.txt
Battle for Wesnoth v1.3.12
Started on Sat Mar 08 18:40:30 2008

Checking video mode: 1024x768x32...
setting mode to 1024x768x32
WARNING: setlocale() failed for ''.
set locale to ''
loadscreen: filesystem counter = 229
loadscreen: binarywml counter = 14547
loadscreen: setconfig counter = 0
loadscreen: parser counter = 214
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

That is not it right before seeing the error message; notice the date, and the version (1.3.12).
edit: just in case you are using Windows Vista or 7, you should check this too.
Iris
Site Administrator

Invasion from the Unknown (1.70.2) for Wesnoth 1.7/1.8 ONLY

Post by Iris »

Version 1.70.2 is released, and the only changes in it include some rather forgotten translations from WesCamp-i18n (oops) and some minor balancing of units based on playtesting of AtS in SVN trunk. That's all there's to it.
pilpilon

Re: Invasion from the Unknown (1.70.2) for Wesnoth 1.7/1.8 ONLY

Post by pilpilon »

Scenario 5a (Crossfire) may become unwinnable under some conditions. None of the (two) reporters has provided a reliable method to reproduce.
I have exactly the same problem, On Wesnoth 1.7.10-1.8 beta 3, IftU Ep1. version 1.70.2. attached.

The sequence is as follows: first the Loyalist, then Fugitives, let them flee, have received a ring (to whom? not clear).
Then Lich, then turn runs out. ( saved on lich surrounded, one turn before).

P.S. And yes, when I've found the ring and got it, the scenario got finished as it should. So it seems there is a source of the problem.
I'm not sure whether it is a bug or a feature, but seems like bug.
Attachments
IftU-1-Crossfire_Turn_28-_bug.gz
(82.64 KiB) Downloaded 704 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Invasion from the Unknown (1.70.2) for Wesnoth 1.7/1.8 ONLY

Post by Iris »

It's a feature IMHO. I could make the script give the ring to any unit if they haven't picked it up before turns run out, but then the player might not be happy that they weren't given a choice.

On the other hand, I could make the scenario last indefinitely until the ring is picked up (meanwhile, the player cannot use or receive gold/income), but the time of day sequence would continue... and the result would look rather awkward.