Brent (0.1.7) – for 1.9

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Brent (0.1.7) – for 1.7.10+

Post by artisticdude »

Hi, it's me again (I know I'm annoying, but I can't help myself). :wink:

I was wondering if, instead of having your character move next to another character in order to initiate a conversation, you could have the player's character be next to the character and select the other character to initiate the conversation. If that doesn't make sense, let me try again. Say Brent moves up next to a character named Thermon (yes, I know there's no such person in the game, I'm just making this up as I go) and the player wants to talk to Thermon. Instead of the player moving to an adjacent hex to Thermon and having the dialogue start, why not have the player move next to Thermon and select him to initiate the dialogue? He would only be able to initiate the conversation if the player is adjacent to Thermon when Thermon is selected.

For example:

[event]
name=select
[filter]
id=Thermon
[/filter]
[if]
[filter]
id=$main.id
[filter_adjacent]
id=Thermon
[/filter_adjacent]
[/filter]
[then]
[message]
id=Thermon
message=_ "How may I help you?"
[/message]
[message]
id=$main.id
message=_ "By giving me all your money."
[/message]
[message]
id=Thermon
message=_ "Okay. Here you go."
[/message]
[message]
id=$main.id
message=_ "Gee, thanks."
[/message]
[/then]
[else]
[/else]
[/if]
[/event]

This should work, but I haven't tested it yet.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
melinath

Post by melinath »

I was thinking of doing it with add_menu_item, but that solution is much more elegant. Thanks! Though sometimes I will want to have things trigger automatically.
ydcl

Post by ydcl »

Hi, very nice idea, I love it ! But I've got some questions :
I don't understand why HP of Brent, never move. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
For ex. with the dwarf quest, the HP are to low (21).
And when can we give back, the bones ?
Thanks for explain me.
Neilarmius

Post by Neilarmius »

When I was in the dwarf city, but before I had accepted the "take message to the dwarves" quest, the guards we telling me to speak to the King but no event triggered when standing next to the king.

The Dwarf Kings name is spelled differently on the Quest Objectives than on the unit.

When I went to clear out the undead for the dwarves one of my recruits got stuck in the wall at 24,30.

Great concept. Please keep fleshing it all out.
KBF81

Post by KBF81 »

This is a great rpg - I like the concept and the "world map" is also well-done. I haven't played very long yet, but I have also run into Neilarmius' issue with the "Northern Caverns" map - after accepting the Dwarf King's quest. When I enter the map a dwarf is stuck on a cave wall tile (24,30). Do you think it has to do with my little sprite companion who is also along for the ride?
Thanks for your creative efforts.
Firesword

Post by Firesword »

i have the same prob as KBF81 and Neilarmius... (4th dwarf stuck in the wall)
But i also have a prob with the Quest after cleaning the cave, because if i return to the king 2 weeks later (after i accepted the quest) i see no message/caravan/... (i tried more than 3 times)... maybe i got the false day... :hmm:

And there is the thing with the city by the sea.. but i think you know about it...
Firesword

Post by Firesword »

... i found another thing: i played with Brynne as a Runeblade at the Forest-Fight-map (the fire sprite map)... everything went normal till i wanted to leave this map, because she can't walk at dirt.... stupid thing, cause this is the only way to leave this map... :?

i hope you can fix this (because i like the runeblade most (at the mom))
Stafford

Post by Stafford »

Nice campaign! Like the concept and the mechanics!

I'd like to help, if I can. I'm not skilled (A.K.A. don't know a thing) in WML or whatever is used in programming and graphiics, but I can write stuff. I'm fairly good at it, I think.

Not having much trouble, though. It's actually quite easy until you do the fairy quest.

Some minor glitches:
- Brynne doesn't has the bow attack animation. I think you should replace the bow with the sling or something.
- Bobcats sound like humans when you hit them.

And, I have a bug to report. (I think)

I picked up: (In order)

Forest
Ambush
Bow
Advance: Ranger
Bow
Forest
Advance: Deepforest Ranger

Not sure if it's a bug or what, but I've lost ambush as soon as I picked up Deepforest Ranger :shock: is that correct?

EDIT: Plus. I could not have any upgrades other than reading/HP bonus.
EDIT 2: Hm.... I have Reading+! I can read Druid stuff... Yay? What's it for?
ender_wiggin13

Post by ender_wiggin13 »

Hi, I liked the campaign, but I have a few issues. I lost my ambush on becoming a deepwoods ranger for one. For another, the dwarf caravan never triggered for me. Also, can you actually fight for the fire-fairies? because i said I was interested and nothing triggered with the fire-fairy leader and I was permanently allied with both sides. This was actually a little amusing because i sat on the fire guy's keep and watched him die. then i left and came back and he was back :(. so i reloaded and declined the flame sprite offer. When i became the mage branch it only gave me the standard amla afterwards instead of options the next time i leveled. With the street rat, i lose concealment and nightstalk, which is annoying, consider it is called the CITY path. If I go with the wilderness rogue instead, I not only lose the abilities, but all i get is a little bit of health and a melee knife damage bonus, not even a sling boost. I also lose my forest mastery finally, which is also somewhat disappointing. Altogether, i think some of the level 2's need some serious work.
salsaman

Post by salsaman »

I like the idea of this, even if it has a few bugs as noted above. Particularly I like that you can choose the role of your character (magic, fighter, rougue, etc).

I was wondering about the little wisp that accompanies you. I haven't got far enough to have her advance yet, but does she also get a choice of abilities ? It would be nice if she needed less XP to upgrade, and then you could choose to give her for example healing ability (+1 to all units adjacent, cumulative), cure, magic missile, more hitpoints, more melee damage, ambush, faster movement, skirmisher, maybe even plague (so if she kills a unit, it also becomes a wisp which fights for you), or the ability to pass through walls (like ghosts).
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Guys, unfortunately Melinath's missing in action on the forums, so it's very unlikely that anything will come of your comments anytime soon. I'm hoping he comes back at some point, but he's been missing for months now, so...

Just thought I'd let you know.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

I'd say artisticdude should take the project until Melinath comes back, what do you guys think?
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
ydcl

Post by ydcl »

Go ahead !It's a nice idea !
Waxwood

Post by Waxwood »

You shouldn't volunteer people like that, ydcl and PeterPorty. If he wanted to, he could easily just take it over for himself since the creator appears to be gone but from what I hear, he's quite a busy fella. Please don't volunteer people for jobs like this.
sunfire1226

Post by sunfire1226 »

This is a great campaign so far, but there is an issue with the Dwarf vs. Undead part. When you first enter the tunnel you have 4 dwarf units plus your sprite, and it causes three units (for me the sprite and two dwarfs) on the cave wall. Two units you're able to move off of the wall, but the other is firmly trapped in stone. I don't know if this bug has been reported yet, but I figure it's worth saying.