The knights of arthur

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

DanielF

The knights of arthur

Post by DanielF »

I have an idea for a Knights of Arthur era/campaign base. basically, after the fall of wesnoth, some of the knights of the dead king Arthur land and attempt to restore wesnoth, though under a different name, to its former glory.
there really is a designer of the universe.

go python!:)
michchar

Re: The knights of arthur

Post by michchar »

Ok, cool, are you going to do it, or are you begging others to do it for you?
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Wesnoth is a unique world with a unique storyline. Don't confuse existing fictional stories (like King Arthur and the knights of the round table) with Wesnoth.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

ancestral wrote:Wesnoth is a unique world with a unique storyline. Don't confuse existing fictional stories (like King Arthur and the knights of the round table) with Wesnoth.
So it won't ever be mainlined. Crossovers can be fun, and as long as its not part of mainline canon, who cares? I'd probably play it.

Edit: Of course, one would have to be careful which version of the Arthurian myths they used to avoid copyright infringment. The Medieval material I presume would be public domain, but some more modern retellings and such would be copyright-protected.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
drachefly

Post by drachefly »

I think it'd take real effort to use enough material from any source to become infringing, frankly. Everything out there on this is Nth derivative.

If you're going to do it, I want not just knights but also selkies, spriggans, a redcap, lions...
and a pony.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it. -- You-know-who
The Kingdom Of Loathing Era
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Eh, Arthur in general is public domain. You could run into minor issues if you tried to, say, retell the exact story of the dreadful remake with Kiera Knightly. But, let's face it, why would you want to?

A generic Arthur-and-his-Knights in a medieval setting would be fine. A generic anglo-saxon setting would be fine by me, since it's based on the historical period he's supposed to have inhabited.

Etc.

Enjoy making your faction ;)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

thespaceinvader wrote:Eh, Arthur in general is public domain. You could run into minor issues if you tried to, say, retell the exact story of the dreadful remake with Kiera Knightly. But, let's face it, why would you want to?
Hey, I kind of liked that film. I'm not going to pretend that it was particularly faithful to traditional Arthurian myths, but that's not the point. Taken on its own merits, it was a decently entertaining film.

Though of course this is rather off-topic.
The X-files

ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Of course Arthur is not copyrighted. You're missing the point.

If you're going to spend time to add to the Wesnoth experience and contribute to the timeline then why not go the extra mile and make it your own? Make it fit in? Make it like Arthur but put some new names in and change things around.

And perhaps down the road it may even be canonized and integrated into the official storyline.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
drachefly

Post by drachefly »

There are definite and legitimate reasons one would want to make it Arthurian as opposed to Arthur-like. Let the kid (or grown up as the case may be) have his fun.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it. -- You-know-who
The Kingdom Of Loathing Era
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

ancestral wrote:Of course Arthur is not copyrighted. You're missing the point.
You know what, I don't think I am. The copyright issue was a complete side note, not related to the rest of my post. My issue is with your apparent attitude that if an add-on isn't compatible with mainline, it shouldn't be made.
If you're going to spend time to add to the Wesnoth experience and contribute to the timeline then why not go the extra mile and make it your own? Make it fit in? Make it like Arthur but put some new names in and change things around.
Not every add-on has to "fit in" with mainline. Their are in fact some pretty good ones that don't. I for one appreciate the variety.
And perhaps down the road it may even be canonized and integrated into the official storyline.
As hard as this might be for you to accept, some add-ons are pretty clearly created with no intention of ever getting added to mainline. In fact, I would guess that this is true for the majority of add-ons. Doesn't make them worthless.

Edit: to avoid going further off-topic, if you wish to continue this discussion I suggest we do so either in a separate thread or by PMs.
The X-files

DanielF

Post by DanielF »

My idea thing is that arthur last remaining knight is sent through a portal by merlin, and he ends up in post-fall wesnoth.

Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

That actually sounds pritty cool. I'm curious to see this turns out.
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
DanielF

Post by DanielF »

Hey, I am going to need graphics.
Can anybody help?

Issyl

Post by Issyl »

Aura

Post by Aura »

Well, use the mainline Loyalist graphics as placeholders. They are close enough for the moment. Sounds like a cool idea though.