Brome's music

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Brome

Brome's music

Post by Brome »

Hello ! :)

I played the game for half a week now, and I love it ! Being a musician (with no experience, alas !! :( ) I decided to offer my help in composing something for the game. :)
Could you tell me what kind of song you need, or which mood needs updating ?

That would be very nice, I'll try the best I can !

(key word being : try !!!!)

Thank you !
West
Retired Lord of Music

Re: :)

Post by West »

Hey Brome, welcome to the forums!
Brome wrote:Could you tell me what kind of song you need, or which mood needs updating ?
Well, I would very much like to hear some orchestral music you've made. It'll be much easier for me to say what you might be able to help us with if I'm familiar with your skill and style and what samples you have. Doesn't have to be long or immaculately produced, just some demo(s) to give us an idea of what you can do.
Brome

Re: Which songs need to be updated...

Post by Brome »

Hey Brome, welcome to the forums!
Many thanks kind sir !
Well, I would very much like to hear some orchestral music you've made. It'll be much easier for me to say what you might be able to help us with if I'm familiar with your skill and style and what samples you have. Doesn't have to be long or immaculately produced, just some demo(s) to give us an idea of what you can do.
Makes perfect sense.

Although I made lots of little songs, under 60 seconds, I only finished a "full" one.
I've been working on this for a loooooong time, and it's not completely finished, it needs lots of tweaking, but you may listen to it here : Image

Hope it's good enough, and oh ! I forgot, I only used free soundfont, because it's what I have. I only Downloaded EWQL recently :P

--- EDIT --- Oh ! And that too, although it's old and very repetitive ! Image
West
Retired Lord of Music

Re: Brome's music

Post by West »

I took the liberty of splitting your posts from the original thread to minimize confusion. I'll have a listen to your music and post some feedback shortly.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Brome, I hate to say this but I doubt that you have the skill required to contribute music for the game. Judging from the material you've posted, that is. I think "Theme of seven of the twelth" is a pretty good tune, it has an eighties sympho pop feel that I really enjoyed. In terms of melodies and chord progressions and the generally upbeat feel, it reminded me a lot of Georgio Moroder's Neverending Story soundtrack (which I love, so that's a compliment!). However, it's not orchestral music. It's basically a conventional pop instrumental with a few repeating parts played with synthy orchestral instruments. The Joie! piece sounds like an unholy marriage between Enya and Pet Shop Boys and I can't say I liked it much.

The major problem with both these tunes is that they repeat things ad nauseum. You have a bare handful of different rhythmic and melodic patterns that repeat over and over and it gets tiring to listen to. Another big problem is that you use orchestral instruments (like strings and woodwinds) like they're just synth patches. String sections don't voice chords the same way you would on a keyboard. A woodwind player has to stop and breathe every now and then, he doesn't just bleep and bleep endlessly like a synth lead. Thirdly, there's virtually no use of dynamics. Everything is equally loud, all the time, from beginning to end, which makes the music even more tiring to listen to.

You obviosuly have a decent grasp of chords and scales, no problems there, but you have to work on your arranging skills and all the nitty-gritty details involved. There's a lot more to writing a tune in an orchestral vein than just picking a few standard orchestral synth patches and winging it. I know, because I've been there myself.

In short, I enjoyed listening to your music but it's not what we're looking for. However, if you're not easily deterred, by all means try and compose something for us. What if I said "let's hear some Wesnoth music"? Listen to the mainline music and let it inspire you. It would be interesting to hear.
Brome

Post by Brome »

First, thank you for creating a new thread just for me :D

Then, thanks for the review. I kind of knew you were going to say this, because you asked orchestral music. I gave you what I had in hand, but they not designed to be soundtrack music, therefore, yes, it lacks than "adventure" feel !!!
However, if you're not easily deterred, by all means try and compose something for us.
Since I am not deterred at all, I think what I'll do is to take a picture from BfW and compose something around it, with a soundtrack feel. Something not too long like 90 seconds. It won't have to taken seriously, it will be just to let you know if I can do this or not (and let myself know by the way ;) ).

Thanks for the review though :)

EDIT : I'll go with the map
http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/w ... esnoth.png
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

If you don't have better ideas for the demo, you can try to compose something for the UMC people*.
Lets say shorts themes based on the classical elements (Earth, Air, Fire, Water)
Someone (or just me) could find those useful.

* User Made Content, nothing official.
Brome

Post by Brome »

Hey !

It's been some time that I worked on a kind of mini project, but I didn't the judge the quality high enough, so I decided to drop it.
I just need experience and resources before something serious, that's why, if I can remember you guys in one or two years when I'll be more confident you'll get a decent track !

Have a great day ! ^__^
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Have a look here:
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=17927

You may find some helpful resources to get started.

Also the Wesnoth Music Dev Team has a library of free high quality sf2 samples which can be found here:
http://www.freesf2.com

Hope this helps!

-Tyler