Orcs, never mind

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zigg

Re: Orcs, orcs, orcs

Post by Zigg »

Yes, i think Skrim's explanation is really good.

:-)
chaoticwanderer

Post by chaoticwanderer »

thespaceinvader wrote:I certainly feel like the SotBE orcs have a Klingon-ish sense of honour, but very much on the brutal side of things. And they're definitely not above underhanded tactics.
Have to agree here with spaceinvader. Your description makes them seem far too one dimensional. Orcs in wesnoth have not always appeared as mindless savages, like Tolkien orcs; for example, HoT tells us that some orc tribes joined the Northern alliance and fought alongside dwarves and humans; heck, the orc chieftan you encounter in scenario 3 is downright polite. And as for the weapons, you don't know anything of the quality of their weapons; it seems implied that their weapons are generally worse than human weapons, such as in Liberty when they encounter orcs with weapons that have been supplied by the Crown, indicating the Queen has began hiring orcs as mercenaries, and the company notes the improvement in weaponry and gear.

Furthermore, just because basic human soldiers have spears, that doesn't mean it's because they were unable to be outfitted with swords; on the battlefield(both in real life and in wesnoth) both weapons have different roles, and spears require less skill to use than a sword, so it makes sense to equip a majority of your largely inexperienced soldiers with spears, even if you could equip them with blades. For example, it's the same with orcs; for them they equip goblins with spears, while the regulars get blades, which require more skill to use.
The RNG helps those who help themselves.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

chaoticwanderer wrote:Your description makes them seem far too one dimensional.
All I did was try to clean up the existing one....
chaoticwanderer wrote:Furthermore, just because basic human soldiers have spears, that doesn't mean it's because they were unable to be outfitted with swords...
All I know is what I read in the Spearman's description.
chaoticwanderer wrote:And as for the weapons, you don't know anything of the quality of their weapons
They are apparently just bronze slabs of iron that look like scimitars.

This is going nowhere, there is nothing to debate. If someone wants to refine the unit/race descriptions, I'm sure it would be useful. But this thread is too full of ... distractions, so please do not post it here.
Thanks.