Movies discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: What is everyone's favorite movie at the moment?

Post by Turuk »

IPS wrote:Noy is boring becuase he closed my thread of movies

But I maked that thread because I dindt know this thread exist
Well, if you know the reason, why is it his fault that you did not bother to look for an existing thread? He was not trying to limit your desire to discuss favorite movies, but merely pointing out that you missed seeing a relevant topic that is even stickied so that users do not miss it.

Terminator was good, Terminator 2 was not bad, but the third...
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
IPS

Post by IPS »

Terminator 2 for me was much better than the vertion 1 because the history is more interesting, but terminator 3 and 4 ARE A BULL [censored]

Maybe with with your post Turuk you are saying the true, but its the 2nd post what he close because a thing :augh:

But, some studies marked and considerate this: the best form to learn is to kick, but, it I dont like to lear to kick :(
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

IPS wrote:But, some studies marked and considerate this: the best form to learn is to kick, but, it I dont like to lear to kick
Right, well perhaps you could manage to kick yourself over by the Posting Guidelines, or kick them over to you, and give them a read. It will help you out.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Urs
Art Contributor

Post by Urs »

Just saw Fight Club a bit ago... one of my favorites now.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Urs wrote:Just saw Fight Club a bit ago... one of my favorites now.
If you are so inclined, read the book. Even better than the movie, and explains a bit more, gives you a better perspective on everything. It really messes with your head too.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

HOwever, Chuck Palaniuk, or however you spell his name, rates certain parts of the movie better than the book - the ending in particular, if i recall correctly.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

thespaceinvader wrote:HOwever, Chuck Palaniuk, or however you spell his name, rates certain parts of the movie better than the book - the ending in particular, if i recall correctly.
Agreed, the book ending is not nearly as good as what was visually imparted in the movie.
MrTristan

Post by MrTristan »

My favorite movie at the moment has to be, "Fantastic Mr. Fox". When I went to see it I thought it wouldn't be that great. I was never so wrong in my lifetime.
Coaxke

Post by Coaxke »

After watching the previews for 'Avatar', I thought it looked kind of bobo, but when a friend and I had nothing to do but go to the movies and had already seen most of them, we decided to watch Avatar.

Wow, it blew me away!

It was a fantastic movie that had a little bit of everything! It really makes you want to live on Pandora, with its beautiful nighttime scenery, freedom, no worries (before the humans came, at least), and of course the amazing creatures, especially the ikran. Anyway, I highly recommend everyone to give this movie a chance even though the preview didn't look so good. It absolutely amazed me and I want to see it again!
Please click here to apply for a Computer-Aided Enrichment Center program. Message me if you need help following the simple, on-screen instructions.

Projects I'm currently working on:
  • Warlords
  • WesCiv (delayed)
  • WesCol (delayed)
Hatter_Madigan

Post by Hatter_Madigan »

true, avatar did knock my ****(expectations) in the dirt! it really blew my mind. the whole movie was filled to the brim with the best eye candy i have ever tasted. please go see this movie and if you have the choice, see it in 3d. its deffinately worth it!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Avatar was a visual explosion, but without the horrible 'look at MEEEEE!' 3d of previous attempts. The story was derivative, and far too long, but it tugged the right strings in the right places. However, let's face it, you weren't there for the story. And the visuals were well worth the admission.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Coaxke

Post by Coaxke »

:shock: You assume too much! The story was fantastic, and sure it stretched on, but that was not at all arbitrary.
Please click here to apply for a Computer-Aided Enrichment Center program. Message me if you need help following the simple, on-screen instructions.

Projects I'm currently working on:
  • Warlords
  • WesCiv (delayed)
  • WesCol (delayed)
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Just as a contra-reaction to Star Trek XI, which I happened to see just now on pay-per-view: All Star Trek movies before number eleven!
Especially all the even numbers, which used to be the better ones (The Wrath of Khan, The Voyage Home, The Undiscovered Country, First Contact *sigh* memories, I tell ya...)

Sure, ST:XI has some eye-candy; sure, ST:XI has a lot of funny scenes; sure, I had fun guessing which character was who during the introductions... but all this shiny stuff doesn't really make it better.

Really, whatever happened (and most important: what will happen in this timeline afterwards) in ST:XI isn't part of the ST:Universe as I know it or as I liked it. I won't spoil anything for those who haven't seen it yet, but I assure you: at the end of the movie, some important facts of the ST:Universe have changed, including no longer existing planets, people, and so on... I wonder why they didn't couldn't do something else than just copying Star Wars in showing something before the events as we used to know them. I didn't like this idea when I saw ST:ENT, and I don't like it now - in fact I like it even less now. Why not continuing where we stopped? Why no ST:Titan (with Capt. Riker, I saw some novels following his adventures), or a little bit more off the usual: ST:Admirals (Admiral Picard anyone?), why not setting up a whole new crew? Why no movie about another franchise (ST:DS9 still needs some coverage for the open ends left)? Why no story from the Dominion War - if they really wanted to do a big action picturen from the "past"? Why this unbelievable "love story"? Why this time-line crap again? Why, I am asking: WHY this movie that doesn't fit into the franchise's universe at all? And why, why call it just "Star Trek" as if it is the original thing?

I am sad, I am really really sad... :(

*goes mourning for the big adventures from his childhood* :augh:
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

A quick top 5 of my personal favourites.

1. Kingdom of Heaven [didn't care much for Olando Blooms acting in this film, i feel Russel Crow or any other male actor could have done just as good a job if not better, but the film itself IMO is superb. Fantastic musicalscore, interesting story likable characters. I can watch this movie hundreds of times over and never be bored.

2. The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad [Nostlagic value mainly, i grew up watching faulty towers, blackadder and carry on, so this sort of comedy really appeals to me. Boob and slapstick humour :lol2: ]

3. Pulp Fiction [What can i say? Im a Tarentino fan boy :geek: ~honourable mention to Reservoir Dogs and KillBill Vol.1 (two other Tarentino movies i consider favourites)]

4. Army Of Darkness, ED3 ["And this is my boom stick". Bah just see it if you havnt already, its freaking hliarious]

5.Shanghai Noon [Big fan of Jackie Chan, and i think him and Owen Wilson work really well together, again another slapstick style comedy]

As for my favourite atm... it would probably have to be either pixars UP or Inglorious Basterds as those were the two last films i saw in the cinema.
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

Underworld - Rise of the Lycans deserves an honourable mention, definitely on par with the original (perhaps a shade better as it doesn't have the whole Gun vs. Sword vs. Tooth issue. Just swords and teeth, lots of teeth) and miles better than the second.

Kiss of the Dragon, the film which got me into Jet Li's stuff. Some great martial arts and a pretty good storyline to go with it. The One is another of his that deserves a mention, some great music in that one.

And the following definitely deserves a very honourable mention, even though it isn't a film.

Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes (The Original, BBC versions). Personally I prefer the latter, as John Simm (The Master from Doctor Who) is much better as an insane bad cop than semi-sane good cop. Not that it matters, Philip Glenister (a.k.a. DCI Gene Hunt) plays his part as a 1970's cop perfectly with epic quotes like "A quick word on police brutality - Plenty of it" and "Drop your weapons! You are surrounded by armed b******s!".
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!