Telaron's Art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Telaron

Telaron's Art

Post by Telaron »

I just joined yesterday and would love to try my hand at art. I have included a few of my previous art projects.
Attachments
Blademaster.png
Blademaster.png (3.21 KiB) Viewed 4425 times
Guardian.png
Guardian.png (6.9 KiB) Viewed 4425 times
Last edited by Telaron on September 3rd, 2010, 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out the FOSS game Sumwars
Wish I had more time for composing music...
woodmouse

Re: Anybody got any work for me to do?

Post by woodmouse »

The one on the bottom looks great, I think!
Check out my sprites!
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

The top one is obviously a ripoff of the swordsman's attack frame, but it looks like his chest plate has been melted on his right side (it droops). You couldn't hold your arm out like that for more than half an hour at most, even less when you're weighted down by a heavy sword and armor. Try a different pose, with, say, his sword across his chest or held down at an angle. The second one looks pretty good, but the style of the sword and helmet don't really match with the style of the armor. Have you got any animations for either of these sprites?
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

Yeah, I've got several other animation sprites for both. I'm trying to take this one slowly and get the body movement right. Having a little trouble with finding the correct leg movement. The Guardian attack 2's legs are a recolored version of the Siege Trooper's. Any suggestions? Also the sword on the Guardian will need some adjustments. It is blocked by the ball at the unit's right.
Attachments
Guardian-defend-1.png
Guardian-defend-1.png (6.63 KiB) Viewed 4391 times
Guardian-attack-2.png
Guardian-attack-2.png (3.32 KiB) Viewed 4391 times
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Telaron wrote:Also the sword on the Guardian will need some adjustments. It is blocked by the ball at the unit's right.
Erase/replace the ball. :wink:
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
stimj

Post by stimj »

For the second one, I would suggest using a different color for the blade or for the rest of him. With him all the same color it is difficult to distinguish the blade from the armor when it crosses in front of him.
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

This Crusader also has the same problem. I tried positioning the feet in a "fencing" position. Didn't look good at all. I drew this guy free hand and he will need a lot of work. I thought that if I could get any leg ideas from the Guardian, than maybe I could use one on this Crusader. His body may need to be downsized. What think ye?
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

Sorry, bear with me. I forgot to add the crusader image. THIS is the crusader. :oops: He still needs a weapon and a shield. Am still working on both.
Attachments
Crusader Knight.png
Crusader Knight.png (3.42 KiB) Viewed 4358 times
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Are you offering these images for someone to use or are you asking for a project to work on? Cause I've got the latter one if you're interested... :wink:
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

I like the second attack frame. not liking the fact that its really hard to tell what going on with the sword. More contrast in to colors would fix this. Oh nice mail by the way, the coat needs work though (they can be hard to do).
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

I'd love to either work on any of these images for someone's campaign etc or work on a project. Thanks for the advice! :) I'll try fixing the sword.
Captain_Wrathbow

Telaron wrote:I'd love to either work on any of these images for someone's campaign etc or work on a project.
Well here's mine if you're interested... it's your choice if you'd like to take it up or not.

I'm making a ghost unit called a Blood Spectre. (It's a "boss" in a campaign I'm making) Here's my pathetic attempt at it:
BS-stand-anim.gif
BS-stand-anim.gif (5.32 KiB) Viewed 4277 times
Obviously it's nothing more than a recolored Wraith. (despite "spectre" being in the name, the wraith images are so superior to the spectre's that I based it off of them) At first I had just turned the blade and handle of the sword bright red, but it didn't look distinct enough, so I ended up deciding to drown the whole poor thing in red and now it looks like a pinata.
So what I'm looking for is a fresh, distinct-looking ghost sprite that also bears recognizable resemblance to the rest of the ghost line. Preferably with a reddish theme, to be true to the name. Doesn't have to be team-colored if you don't feel like it. So feel free to base it off mainline images or my images or draw from scratch or whatever you feel like. I doubt you can do worse than me so do whatever you like with it.

So that's my "little" project. Feel free to work on it if you like or just ignore me. :wink:
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

So let me get this straight. Would you like me to use this image and work off of it or would you like me to start fresh? Would it be a Wraith or would you like a Specter base? And to answer your initial question... I'll give it a shot.
Captain_Wrathbow

I really don't mind whether you want to patch up my bloody pinata or start fresh- whichever you choose. You're the artist. I mainly just put my attempt up here to give you an idea of what I'm trying to do. Sorry for the wraith/spectre confusion: I like the name spectre better than the name wraith, but I like the wraith's sprite better than the spectre's. I think it would probably be better to use the wraith as a base, since it's simply so much cooler than the spectre, IMO. But go ahead and use whatever base you like if you've got a good reason. Like I said earlier, you can't do much worse than me, so you're free to do as you please. I just want it to be reddish colored overall, and to be fairly distinct from the rest of the ghost line. (really, as long as it isn't just a recolored copy of another ghost sprite, it's fine) :)
I really don't have too much specific instructions, you've got all the freedom you like with it.
Thanks for taking up the project, I'll be glad to use whatever you can come up with! :D
Telaron

Post by Telaron »

O.k. I'll do a few and post them. Probably won't get through until sometime this weekend.