Problem With Outcast

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

usr-sbin

Problem With Outcast

Post by usr-sbin »

I was wondering if anyone on the forum had got Outcast to work on xp or higher?

Thanks in advance
Continuing Siege of Soradoc
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Problem With Outcast

Post by zookeeper »

I've had it working on XP, but it was a few years ago and I don't really recall what I needed to do. Doing the obvious googling for "outcast on xp" seems to bring up plenty of suggestions.
usr-sbin

Post by usr-sbin »

I had already tried one of the solutions that I found on google but it didn't work :S
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

It might be possible to download a Windows 95/7 virtual machine somewhere and run it from that, it's how I got Dungeon Keeper to run on Vista.
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
usr-sbin

Post by usr-sbin »

Thank you for that idea *googles*
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Like zookeeper, I managed to get Outcast running on XP several years ago. I'm guessing maybe in 2003 or so. I tried it again only a couple of years back and never got it to work despite trying every trick on the web. I'm guessing either service packs and/or DirectX updates have made the game completely incompatible with XP. I resorted to installing Win 98 on a spare machine to run it.

Outcast is an incredible game, it's without a doubt one of the best games I've ever played, but it's been 10 years since I played through it and technology has progressed immensely during that time. Even if the game has some truly innovative elements even by today's standards, there's no denying that it shows its age in many ways. The fuzzy voxel engine and a max resolution of 512 by 384 to name a couple. So I've decided to never play it again, better to just remember it as a great game than to taint the memory by playing it again and getting disappointed.

The music is still totally awesome though.