Outsider Art for Bad Moon Rising

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
StDrake

Re: Bad Moon Rising: phantom sprites

Post by StDrake »

as for reviewing the ports again i may say this - the middlemost picture seems to have taken some damage on the hair - there's a patch missing on the left part..well probably not missing, but you've let a weird thick line of solid colour in there ending with a half-arrow on the top which causes some havoc, it probably isn't even needed there

the picture on the middle-left could still use some unification in the bottom eyelids - one ends round, while the left eye lands flat, maybe let it be more like the right one?

between the two blondes - depends on what type of person you'd prefer to present - the left one looks definitely younger and prettier, I'd blame that on the eye colour and faceline, but for an Ukian she looks a bit pale, might use more tan from the snow sun reflections?
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

StDrake wrote:the middlemost picture seems to have taken some damage on the hair - there's a patch missing on the left part..well probably not missing, but you've let a weird thick line of solid colour in there ending with a half-arrow on the top which causes some havoc, it probably isn't even needed there
I'm not really following you with this. Are you referring to the stray hair?
StDrake wrote:one ends round, while the left eye lands flat, maybe let it be more like the right one?
OK, thanks.

I've started a replacement for the ironwheel & aerowheel (I don't like the current one). I started with a short sword in the right hand, but changed it to a chakram. Might have been a mistake, maybe I should just change the ironwheel unit to have a melee blade.
EDIT: Just about finished
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Re: Outsider Art for Bad Moon Rising

Post by Mefisto »

I have two questions:
1. Chakrams are supposed to have wery sharp outer edge, aren't they? So I don't know how she can hold them this way and not cut herself.
2. I understand that it is a female. So probably in this position you could see a side of her breast sticking out from behind the plate she is wearing. Now her chest looks like male chest.
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

maybe if the chakrams were wider then she'd have how to hold them more..comfortably
doofus-01 wrote:
StDrake wrote:the middlemost picture seems to have taken some damage on the hair - there's a patch missing on the left part..well probably not missing, but you've let a weird thick line of solid colour in there ending with a half-arrow on the top which causes some havoc, it probably isn't even needed there
I'm not really following you with this. Are you referring to the stray hair?
i'm referring to this - it's either the lack of anything in the red marked area or the needless patch that i've painted green
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

StDrake wrote:i'm referring to this
OK, I see. Thanks.
Mefisto wrote:Now her chest looks like male chest.
I think I fixed that now. Thanks.

The chakrams may be too thin, but I don't think it's enough to warrant redrawing.
The attachment 9aero2a.png is no longer available
This is the dogface (not finished).
9aero2a.png
9aero2a.png (93.47 KiB) Viewed 3125 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

The Aerowheels chest stills looks much too male:
1. "She" has no breasts.
2. "She" still soesn't have a real female figure.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

I'll argue about the figure, she's just very buffed(maybe a bit too much in the shoulder region comparing to other parts, but consider she's kindof 'alien'), but agreed that there's still no trace of breasts
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Her shoulder probably is too big. As for the breasts, they just aren't very big. Maybe there is something really wrong, but I'm not seeing it, so it'll stay that way for now.

This is a replacement portrait. The more I look at the current one, the less I like it. I have a better feeling about this one. It's about as close as I'm going to get to making it look like the same person as the dark-haired archer.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

...I'm not sure--I see breasts, and hips. I'm not sure that he's going for the stereotypical scantily-clad well-endowed game-female here.

On the actual images: something feels off about her right arm; I think maybe it's squeezed in too close with her body..? Her left hand is kind of small, too.
For the guy, his right arm is a little strange, too. It looks like he's got it in the position for fingering a violin...which is not exactly a strong position to be in, oh ho ho. His left hand looks a little bit strange, too...I'm afraid I can't say anything more specific than that, as my anatomy is no better than yours.
Not-an-edit on the new portrait: I think her hands are a little too small, again. Also, something feels very strange about her hips/legs...I think the hips may be twisted somewhat strangely, and the legs too close together? Not sure.

All that said, great work! As always, the amount of effort and dedication you've put into this should go as an example for many would-be addon authors (such as yours-truly, oh ho ho), and you've definitely improved as you've been working on this, as well c:
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

i think the thing is that the lower lip is too big and too glowy, not sure if the whole mouth isnt too big, but id start with reducing and softening the shine, i'd say you exaggerated on the muscles a bit too - softer shading there might do the trick if you want to preserve the outline
as for the hips..not sure how to judge them, you might just avoid the problem by cutting high and not showing them at all ^_^
oh right theres the sword too, the blade is nice, but the realistic shine makes it contrast the rest of the port too much, that's something that doesn't need to be that good without the rest following
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks. I made a pass at the hands, mouth, and hips. The lips are just a one-colour line, the "shine" was supposed to be teeth. I think it's OK to have the sword shine. If it were a buckle or button it would be a distraction, but the blade can stand out a little.
Skizzaltix wrote:I'm not sure that he's going for the stereotypical scantily-clad well-endowed game-female here.
Right. I aim for realistic, or the buffed side of realistic for the blue people. Doesn't always happen, but that's the goal.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

This is to make Scarrion have a similar costume as ^her, and to look more like his spearman portrait.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The feather fighter phantoms were kind of blocky, these should look more interesting.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

It grows harder to tell that they're females. (They are females, right?)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Well, they are, but that shouldn't be their defining trait. On the other hand, it would be weird to find out the dwarf thunderers are female. So I adjusted these a bit, not sure what else to do, aside from giving them big boobs and bigger hair (which I don't want to do).
Attachments
wing-master.png
wing-master.png (4.38 KiB) Viewed 2850 times
wing-dancer.png
wing-dancer.png (2.11 KiB) Viewed 2850 times