Magical weapon special lowers CtH?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Captain_Wrathbow

Magical weapon special lowers CtH?

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Not sure if this should go here or in the User's Forum, but anyway...

How come the Magical weapon special sets the CtH to 70% regardless of whether the default CtH would be better or worse than that?

example: A mage attacking an HI standing in shallow water would have a 90% CtH but because of the Magical weapon special it lowers the CtH to 70%.

Is it supposed to do this? Because I don't think it is like that with Marksman. (an elvish marksman attacking the swimming HI with his bow would get the 90% CtH)
Zarel

Re: Magical weapon special lowers CtH?

Post by Zarel »

Yes, this is intentional. It's what makes magical different from marksman. It's a trade-off, you see... sometimes things have disadvantages as well as advantages - it makes things interesting.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Captain_Wrathbow

Zarel wrote:Yes, this is intentional. It's what makes magical different from marksman. It's a trade-off, you see... sometimes things have disadvantages as well as advantages - it makes things interesting.
Thanks! That's something that has always bugged me but I haven't ever bothered asking about.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

The accepted "reasoning" behind that is that the spell for the attack only works in 70% but if the spell works it hits 100%.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

I think this misconception came up because it's not explained in the discription of the weapon special: it says 70% or higher IIRC
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

wesfreak wrote:I think this misconception came up because it's not explained in the discription of the weapon special: it says 70% or higher IIRC
No it doesn't. It says this:

"This attack always has a 70% chance to hit regardless of the defensive ability of the unit being attacked."
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

I mixed that up with marksman myself where it say "at least 60%".

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

i haven't looked at the description for a long time...
Elvish_Conquerer

Post by Elvish_Conquerer »

That's really interesting. I guess i'll have to rethink attacking that HI with a mage and just put a Bowmen there, well, a mage would be better anyways but its a good thing to know!

Elvish Conquerer,
"Not only that! He made the AI so smart that, it changes the RNG without affecting statistical analysis! So even if you calculate the probability of getting what you got, it seems reasonable, even though it isn't. We've uncovered a massive conspiracy!"
Captain_Wrathbow

Wow.
Checking my inbox and seeing an email notification for a new post on this thread was quite a surprise. :P

You do realize that this thread has been dead for almost four months? :wink:
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

yeah those 70% are tricky. some people believe its a constant 66% and if anything goes wrong with it they r furious :mrgreen:

sometimes i put a HI (or anything else) on incredible locations (10,20%) on purpose, to be attacked the next turn, and because HIs dont get killed easily by anything from loys ( or elves when there are no woses around/orcs) and those guys often use spears, sometimes archers, and mermen - not taking in account that MY HI RETALIATES AS WELL :D and this is really really awesome to watch ;)

the troops that killed it are standing around a water village with half their original HP -a nice trade imho and a nice start to kill stuff the coming turns :mrgreen:
Elvish_Conquerer

Post by Elvish_Conquerer »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:Wow.
Checking my inbox and seeing an email notification for a new post on this thread was quite a surprise. :P

You do realize that this thread has been dead for almost four months? :wink:

Ah, that would be me being very, Very, bored. Lol.
"Not only that! He made the AI so smart that, it changes the RNG without affecting statistical analysis! So even if you calculate the probability of getting what you got, it seems reasonable, even though it isn't. We've uncovered a massive conspiracy!"