Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Swamp Dwarves

Post by thespaceinvader »

Debatable - a lot of the apparent height of the thunderer comes from the thickness of the body and legs - the elder has tiny legs (and most other parts, too), which makes him seem smaller.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

If I've learned anything from the couple of months I've been drawing sprite art, it's that impression is everything. It doesn't matter if they have the exact same height in pixels, all that matters is how big they *look*. Exaggerating parts of the body and adding ornamentation (even things like hair, or a feather in a hat, or horns on a helmet) can give the impression of much greater size.
melinath

Post by melinath »

(Just in case it wasn't clear, I was trying to say that they *aren't* near the same height, *except* when you just count pixels.)
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Mega monster bump! :shock:
Well anyway... Here's a new Swamp Dwarf... Yeah, I know he's too big, and that he's weirdly shaded... but...
I had to post him, he looked so nice I think... :oops: (I used a little recolored head of the Dwarf Berserker)
He's Swamp Dweller.
Check out my sprites!
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

I like the fact that you gave him a slingshot, an weapon which (as far as I've seen) has never been used before. Interesting idea. I think the green beard my be a bit too much, but that's just my opinion. Did you try animating him? I'd love to see him with his slingshot in action. Tell me if you want someone to test any of these swamp dwarves out, I'd love to do it. :D
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

artisticdude wrote:I like the fact that you gave him a slingshot, an weapon which (as far as I've seen) has never been used before. Interesting idea. I think the green beard my be a bit too much, but that's just my opinion. Did you try animating him? I'd love to see him with his slingshot in action. Tell me if you want someone to test any of these swamp dwarves out, I'd love to do it. :D
lol, nah. I mean, I will animate the final Swamp Dwarves (which that guy even isn't, I think, might end up being, but I highly doubt that) but I'm not sure when. I mean, I'll do all the base frames and other stuff too. Then the BORING and G*Y animating stuff... :(
Check out my sprites!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Careful using 'gay' as an expletive like thaat. It really shows your age.

Art has its boring bits. You've got to take the rough with the smooth if you want to progress. But you'll learn patience as you get older ;)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

thespaceinvader wrote:Careful using 'gay' as an expletive like thaat. It really shows your age.

Art has its boring bits. You've got to take the rough with the smooth if you want to progress. But you'll learn patience as you get older ;)
I'm 15, I'm not one of *the* youngest here, I think.
But yeah, I know what you mean. :oops:
Anyway... A new elder or something. Might be something else than elder, though. (his face is under a hood, but his beard is visible)
Check out my sprites!
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

The graphics look pretty good, but I think you could make him a little less stooped and actually show part of his face, because it took me a while to figure out where his head was. It looks like he is hiding behind a... what is he holding? At first glance I thought it might be a cage, then a flag, then a knife stand, then a stick with feathers attached to it. Whatever it is, it looks great, but could use a little more definition. And maybe you could move his arm down a bit, because it looks like he has a sizable rear. Or is all this just me? I don't know, take my critique for what it's worth.
xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

woodmouse wrote:I made some sort of Elder or something. He's a BIT too huge, though. xD
I know this is an old post but I can't resist. ROFLCOPTOR!!! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I don't mean to be rude or offensive but everytime I see this post I'd laugh until my head crack. :lol2:
Current Projects:

UMC Campaign Guardian Order.
Main Campaign Thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26895
Art Thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 28&start=0
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

xbriannova wrote:
woodmouse wrote:I made some sort of Elder or something. He's a BIT too huge, though. xD
I know this is an old post but I can't resist. ROFLCOPTOR!!! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I don't mean to be rude or offensive but everytime I see this post I'd laugh until my head crack. :lol2:
:mrgreen:
artisticdude wrote:The graphics look pretty good, but I think you could make him a little less stooped and actually show part of his face, because it took me a while to figure out where his head was. It looks like he is hiding behind a... what is he holding? At first glance I thought it might be a cage, then a flag, then a knife stand, then a stick with feathers attached to it. Whatever it is, it looks great, but could use a little more definition. And maybe you could move his arm down a bit, because it looks like he has a sizable rear. Or is all this just me? I don't know, take my critique for what it's worth.
Hmm, the thing he's holding is a T-shaped wooden stick with knifes hanging from it. It would have been better if I did the strings more visible. So I fixed that too, along with the face thing:
Check out my sprites!
kyi_the_bard

Post by kyi_the_bard »

The knives look like chimes, to me. Maybe he wants to ward off bad spirits. (arcane staff?)
Meow
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Looks better, but I still feel he could lose some pounds in the back... :wink:
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Ok, hmm...
I meant him to be fat, but yeah, maybe not that bad, lol.
Check out my sprites!
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Hi, it's me again. I just noticed a few more things. All units I've seen up to now are always facing right, while this guy is facing left. That means he'll always be attacking/moving/defending with his back. Maybe the shadow is a bit too big, too. The beard seems to detached from the face, as though it were a beak. If you could smooth the transition from beard to face, it might help to define clearly where his head is located. The modifications made to the T-stick help, but what kind of knives are they? It looks like only the blades are tied to the stick.

Phew! All that being said, I think this unit has great promise. The shading looks very good to me, and the cloak looks very realistic.
Keep working with this, you're doing great! :)