Admin Abuse

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
the400rabbits

Admin Abuse

Post by the400rabbits »

I was the victim of abuse by an admin and a player whose totalitarian censorship has affected many players, including my alternate account Gattsu which was my first account on Wesnoth. After encountering these people for the first time I thought I'd never open another Wesnoth client again, much less post in a help forum about it.

But, two years later, I decided to pick up the newest build of Wesnoth and give it "one more go". After playing for only two days, I encountered the admin and player again. Our encounter was less than pleasant to say the least.

I joined a 6-player game hoping to observe quietly until the host would offer an afk player's spot. When the time came, I asked if I could take the open position. Then this happened.

So after trying to explain the lack of respect one of the players was showing to my parents, I guess cmonyimann thought it proper to oppress my free speech (about my family) and mute me. All the while, the admin was supportive of this and even went so far as to "warn" me of a possible banning should I continue speaking.

I don't think my behavior merits a mute nor do I think I was wrong for trying to show this girl how impolite she was. And I definitely don't think my behavior merits a banning. So, please post your thoughts as I'd like to see this situation seriously and expediently resolved.

Thanks for reading, and I hope this matter is resolved fairly and impartially.

Sincerely,
Gemmalynn Montoya

Edit: Sorry if this thread was posted in the wrong forum, I didn't see anywhere to place this thread and I thought it would be best if I placed it here.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Re: Admin Abuse

Post by Soliton »

the400rabbits wrote:So after trying to explain the lack of respect one of the players was showing to my parents, I guess cmonyimann thought it proper to oppress my free speech (about my family) and mute me. All the while, the admin was supportive of this and even went so far as to "warn" me of a possible banning should I continue speaking.

I don't think my behavior merits a mute nor do I think I was wrong for trying to show this girl how impolite she was. And I definitely don't think my behavior merits a banning. So, please post your thoughts as I'd like to see this situation seriously and expediently resolved.
What exactly would you like to happen?

The host of a game is pretty much allowed to do what he likes. (There are limits but someone getting muted over a quibble is certainly not one of them.) If you don't like what he does you are free to leave the game and open your own or whatever. You don't have some kind of universal right to show others how impolite they are forcing them to listen to you...
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
the400rabbits

Post by the400rabbits »

Thanks for your reply. I was actually looking to bring attention on the admin more than on the host. Though I did want to put some focus on their collaborative oppression.

It's no skin off my back that the host decided to mute me. I only take offense at the possibility of an admin abusing his privileges like he intended to do; as he has done to me and others in the past.

Again, thanks for the reply, and have a nice day.
Gemmalynn
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

the400rabbits wrote:I only take offense at the possibility of an admin abusing his privileges like he intended to do; as he has done to me and others in the past.
I'm afraid you're going to have to take offense all the time then since the point of being an admin anywhere is having some privileges so you can do your job. Obviously that then means that these privileges can be abused...

So unless you have some actual cases of abuse to report (like the title suggests) this thread is pretty pointless.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
the400rabbits

Post by the400rabbits »

Please review the screenshots. Also the operative word in the "abusing privileges" sentence is "abusing". I'll try and rephrase it for your convenience.

"I won't take offense at the privileges an admin employs to do his job. I will, however, take offense at the abuse of those privileges. I was abused today by a host, cheerily collaborated on by the admin. It's tragic, but there isn't anything I can do other than report the facts.

So here they are: I was abused three times today. Once by a player, once by a game host, and once by an admin. I don't expect reprimands for any of their actions, I simply want to let you know that this is going on and try to figure out better ways of resolving this issue should it occur again."

It's quite possible the involved individuals -- 58th_CookieBite (player), cmonyimann (host), and Noy4 (admin) -- will sufficiently replicate the behavior that precipitated this abuse. I'd like to set down guidelines of what can be done to prevent this from happening and if such drastic measures like refusing to play with said individuals must be employed to circumvent another fiasco, so be it.

Thanks for the quick response, and have a blessed day.

Regards,
Gemmalynn
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

So...why aren't you showing what the abuse was in response to?

There's nothing in those screenshots which would always be unwarranted abuse.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Lol way to go cmonyiman.
You disrespect people, they tune you out. Duh. You disrespect enough people, you get banned. Also Duh.
It's Cmonyiman's game. If you want to be an overlord, or a benevolent leader, then go host your own game.
It's Noy's job to police behaviour. If you want to be an overlord, or a benevolent leader, then go host your own server.

I happen to be good friends with the host. It is EXTREMELY hard to tick him off. If he muted you, then there isn't anyone in the world who wouldn't agree it was warrented. I lol'd when he said "it was for your own good" because it was. If you would have kept that conversation going, Noy would have probably banned you.

Noy does not abuse anything. The COC is given to us first thing every time we login to the server. That is our warning. And then there is general politeness and common sense.

There seems to be a large gap between you calling his manners fail, and Noy calling you an idiot for insulting people when a mod is in the room (though you shouldn't insult people even when there isn't a mod :? ).
cmonyiman

Post by cmonyiman »

First you missed out some parts of the discussion, especially those where you were insulting people
Second you already had a warning that if you continue you'll be banned and you continued to fight

If I did anything I did the good thing for you (as Gambit already said)

Besides it's only a game in which you weren't even playing. Warning is not abuse, you didn't get banned you didn't get kicked though you were pretty annoying and most likely would have deserved it.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Lets fill in the blanks, shall we?
Attachments
Picture 1.png
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
Max

Post by Max »

that's priceless^^
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

This is why plaintiffs should never leave holes.
And why the jury must always be suspicious when they refuse to elaborate.

So even if your idea were valid (which remains to be seen), you've tainted the crap out of it with this bad example. It is tained to the point that nobody will listen.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I believe the plaintiff has made his case. Now that more evidence was provided by the defense showing pieces of the rest of the conversation, it's clear to see that any and all responses made by the host and admin were warranted.

Case closed.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time