Is a this pointa way to allow more than one recruiter?

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
Fosprey

Is a this pointa way to allow more than one recruiter?

Post by Fosprey »

I know it wasn't possible a year back but maybe there has been some upgrade that i don't realize? I searched the forums but it doesn't allow me to search anymore.

Here is the real deal.

I want that every faction starts with the same unit, but also want they to choose a secondary unit.
The probelm is that the unit i want to be allowed to recruit is the first unit (I don't care if the secondary unit can recruit too is irrelevant to me).

But i want players to be able to choose their secondary unit on the game creation screen. The problem is that as far as i know the unit you choose in the game creation screen is the only unit that can recruit the entire game.

Anything i missed?

EDIT: Is there a way to increase the amount of units a side can have without gold penalty other than giving it villages and for it to show in the hud? Same question for gold generated per turn
Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: Is a this pointa way to allow more than one recruiter?

Post by Gambit »

It is possible to switch leaders via some WML (see below). WML still can't control the game creation screen however. This must be done in game. You also still can't have more than 1 recruiter at a time.

The jist of the leader switch WML:
Store current leader and remove canrecruit. Possibly give him an overlay to say that he was a leader. Or that he's a lieutenant or something.
store unit at $x1 $y1 and make him leader.

You can do this on moveto events for all keep terrain types. Or inside setmenuitems.

You could use modifyside (I think that's what it's called) to set the sides income. Increment it onrecruit. This would display in the hud.
Fosprey

Post by Fosprey »

Excellent thanks, that will work for what i need.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Fosprey wrote:I know it wasn't possible a year back but maybe there has been some upgrade that i don't realize? I searched the forums but it doesn't allow me to search anymore.

Here is the real deal.

I want that every faction starts with the same unit, but also want they to choose a secondary unit.
The probelm is that the unit i want to be allowed to recruit is the first unit (I don't care if the secondary unit can recruit too is irrelevant to me).

But i want players to be able to choose their secondary unit on the game creation screen. The problem is that as far as i know the unit you choose in the game creation screen is the only unit that can recruit the entire game.
Well, the players can choose both their faction and their leader, so in a prestart event you could just create the first unit based on what faction they had picked and turn the original leader into the secondary unit?
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

Code: Select all

[set_menu_item]
id=Allow_recruiting
#code to switch leaders
{VARIABLE someone_recruit 1}
[/set_menu_item]

Code: Select all

[event]
name=recruit
fist_time_only=no
[filter_wml]
 [someone_recruit]
  value=1
 [/someone_recruit]
[/filter_wml]
#switch leader back
[/event]
You can choose secondary recruiter in prestart and put his id to some_variable. Naxt you must use "id=$some_variable" in filter inside set_menu_item.
It will be like your main leader give order to secondary leader to recruit one trooper.
Yojimbo252

Post by Yojimbo252 »

Gambit wrote:You also still can't have more than 1 recruiter at a time.
Just out of interest are there any plans to change this or is there a reason why there can be no more than 1 per side?
Against The Frontier - A Goblin based Scenario (Comments and feedback most appreciated)
silene

Post by silene »

Yojimbo252 wrote:
Gambit wrote:You also still can't have more than 1 recruiter at a time.
Just out of interest are there any plans to change this or is there a reason why there can be no more than 1 per side?
It has been possible to have more than one recruiter for several months already.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Wow! Why do so many exciting improvements get left out of the changelog?
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

beetlenaut wrote:Wow! Why do so many exciting improvements get left out of the changelog?
QFFT
That's right there's an extra F in there. I'll let you guess what it stands for.

Thank you for adding that feature though (and for letting us know).
silene

Post by silene »

Gambit wrote:Thank you for adding that feature though (and for letting us know).
(I kind of wonder what your attention span is.) You already thanked me three months ago for letting you know that the feature had already been available for quite some time...
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27236
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

:oops: :lol2: so I did.

This won't work for you though Fosprey. Just stick with the ideas we already gave you. At least until 1.8
Yojimbo252

Post by Yojimbo252 »

silene wrote:It has been possible to have more than one recruiter for several months already.
Ah ok. Just read your linked post and note that it's for 1.7. I tried it out for 1.6 and failed, thus assumed it wasn't possible.

Thanks for the confirmation.
Against The Frontier - A Goblin based Scenario (Comments and feedback most appreciated)