Anti-Mirror match random.

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Molean

Anti-Mirror match random.

Post by Molean »

It would be nice if there was a box next to random faction to check so that what ever random faction you would get, would be different then any other random or picked faction that is part of that game. While I don't mind mirror matches so much, some people really hate them.

It would also be nice if there was a box next to random leader, that makes sure it does not choose a leader capped at level 2.(or perhaps only those, as well, if you would prefer to have one like that)
Molean

Re: Anti-Mirror match random.

Post by Molean »

Isn't this a good simple idea worth commenting on?

To add to it, for expansion eras, you could have a random check box for always or never getting say, the tough factions/easy ones, or the good/bad ones.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

If it's worth commenting on, it's worth using the forum search feature for.

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22402
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Ken_Oh wrote:If it's worth commenting on, it's worth using the forum search feature for.

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22402
Seconded. If you are going to bring up a "new" idea, please search first in order to see if the idea is actually new. Then, if you are still hell-bent on posting something about it, make sure that it is indeed something new about that idea, otherwise you are just rehashing the past.

Also, make this your friend as well.
Attachments
Screen shot 2009-12-04 at 5.42.12 PM.png
Screen shot 2009-12-04 at 5.42.12 PM.png (7.07 KiB) Viewed 4129 times
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Molean

Post by Molean »

I searched "mirror" for this forum and came up with many pages of results, I checked out up to page 2. Considering that thread is a year and two months old, I would have been at it a good while before I found it.

Speaking of it being a year and two months old, I didn't really see anything against that idea and a few people including a developer for it. So why after all this time hasn't it been put into motion?

If I added to the idea on or near page two of the forum by editing in new content in the original post a good while after initial posting, it would most likely never be seen. Who looks for unanswered threads on page two? Who expects to see new content in a post so old, its silly to edit in content at that stage. Anyway a important part of adding a new post was bumping up the thread, so that new and old would be seen and discussed.

Please become friends with nicer ways of speaking to people.
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

Maybe he talk about option in map preferences?
Player will decide use mirror or not.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Molean wrote:I searched "mirror" for this forum and came up with many pages of results, I checked out up to page 2. Considering that thread is a year and two months old, I would have been at it a good while before I found it.

Speaking of it being a year and two months old, I didn't really see anything against that idea and a few people including a developer for it. So why after all this time hasn't it been put into motion?

If I added to the idea on or near page two of the forum by editing in new content in the original post a good while after initial posting, it would most likely never be seen. Who looks for unanswered threads on page two? Who expects to see new content in a post so old, its silly to edit in content at that stage. Anyway a important part of adding a new post was bumping up the thread, so that new and old would be seen and discussed.
So if you did indeed spend the time searching to see if the topic has been brought up previously, and you have references for your stance on why the idea should be implemented, why did you not actually post links to the previous posts? As with many ideas on here, it's not that anyone is particularly against an idea at times, but merely that the developers are busy and no one has the time or the inclination to implement it. So, unless you plan on doing it yourself, you are basically attempting to make a case for why work should be done on this idea.

Merely stating that something would be nice does not show that you have considered any of that, or cared to make an effort as to why a good case was made for this idea in the past.
Molean wrote:Please become friends with nicer ways of speaking to people.
Oh, so we are going to play the sarcastic rejoinder game now huh? Odd, as if you actually go back and read my post from a neutral standpoint, you will find there is nothing mean about it at all, and I merely gave a hint that you could just edit in further information in the future. As to your issues with using edit... If people thought it was a good idea worth commenting on, they would have done so the first time it showed up for them.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Molean

Post by Molean »

Maybe he talk about option in map preferences?
Player will decide use mirror or not.
Your completely missing the point xudojnik, with any use of random faction the decision on whether the map is mirror or not is out of the players hands. This idea would give players the choice. And considering with a larger map and that with random factions you want to hide your faction from your opponent for awhile, one can be a number of turns in before they find out that their match is indeed mirror.
So if you did indeed spend the time searching to see if the topic has been brought up previously, and you have references for your stance on why the idea should be implemented, why did you not actually post links to the previous posts?
I didn't find this in those posts.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Molean wrote:I didn't find this in those posts.
I am not saying that your exact aspect of the idea was there, just that you can use similar previous discussions (or search back a bit further to find the relevant ones) to note points made in favor of your idea.
tsr

Post by tsr »

[shameless plug]
Or if you are into 1.7+ you can use the "no mirror"-era.
[/shameless plug]

/tsr
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

tsr
[shameless plug]
[/shameless plug]
I'd hardly call that a shameless plug. I'd say it's very on-topic. :)
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

jb wrote:tsr
[shameless plug]
[/shameless plug]
I'd hardly call that a shameless plug. I'd say it's very on-topic. :)
This is really the point. Dave already said he supports the option in mainline, in the thread I posted. I'm sure if the devs see enough players preferring that era over regular mainline, they'll consider adding the function.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Ken_Oh wrote:This is really the point. Dave already said he supports the option in mainline, in the thread I posted. I'm sure if the devs see enough players preferring that era over regular mainline, they'll consider adding the function.
Yeah, I know that I for one do not even bother to play mirror matches, TSI and I just always restart. Having any sort of option to avoid that would be useful, even if it seems minor.
chains

Post by chains »

A nice add on would be to reverse a side's alignment in a mirrior match. So one side plays lawful orcs and the other plays chaotic orcs. Sure it's complex to explain in an RPG but wesnoth isnt an RPG... its like when you play ken vs ken in Street Fighter, both ken's aren't red... sure they are the same, but in Wesnoth the game is more fun when alignments differ.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

I suggested something like that a while ago but enough people poopoo'ed on the idea that I didin't follow through making an add-on that does it.