Suggestions: Various add-ons to improve gameplay.

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Vienna

Suggestions: Various add-ons to improve gameplay.

Post by Vienna »

If it's convenient, or deemed worthy enough of spending time to do, I'd like to see the following added into the game for the overall increase of player experiences while playing..

1. Have the option to disable queueing of movements on a single turn. It's extraordinarily irksome to lose out on the next turn with a pivotal unit because of something that you didn't even realize you did prior.

2. Have the option of disabling the screen from auto-shifting your camera. It's equally irksome to try to maybe right-click a unit to re-familiarize yourself with their description when the camera is shifting off every other second to sources of action. I get it, units are fighting.

3. Random factor. I'm aware that this is in the frequently proposed ideas thread, but I think I come with something a little different than completely revamping the concept, which is: pseudo-random probability. Similar to the Warcraft III engine, it could be made to ensure that randomness is maintained without occasionally affecting game play to a large extent. I saw 3 units all miss all of their hits on a single unit in red, while each having around 60% chance to hit. All of the misses gave the unit the exp. it needed for level up, which was a little ridiculous, to be honest.

4. Denying. I don't have any substantial thoughts about it, nor have I really made balance suggestions if it were to be implemented, but this is more or less the ability to attack your own units (maybe even your allied units) after a certain low HP threshold to prevent your opponent from getting the kill and subsequently, experience (generally reduced, not stopped). In other games, exp. has a radius, which is different from Wesnoth, meaning that you can't really control how exp. is distributed/awarded to the involved units as a consequence, but then again, there's the fact to consider that if an allied unit uses it's turn to attack an ally, they're stationary until the next turn sequence. Just a thought to toy around with.

Implemented or not, thanks for taking the time to read a few suggestions.
IPS

Re: Suggestions: Various add-ons to improve gameplay.

Post by IPS »

Vienna wrote:If it's convenient, or deemed worthy enough of spending time to do, I'd like to see the following added into the game for the overall increase of player experiences while playing..

1. Have the option to disable queueing of movements on a single turn. It's extraordinarily irksome to lose out on the next turn with a pivotal unit because of something that you didn't even realize you did prior.

2. Have the option of disabling the screen from auto-shifting your camera. It's equally irksome to try to maybe right-click a unit to re-familiarize yourself with their description when the camera is shifting off every other second to sources of action. I get it, units are fighting.

3. Random factor. I'm aware that this is in the frequently proposed ideas thread, but I think I come with something a little different than completely revamping the concept, which is: pseudo-random probability. Similar to the Warcraft III engine, it could be made to ensure that randomness is maintained without occasionally affecting game play to a large extent. I saw 3 units all miss all of their hits on a single unit in red, while each having around 60% chance to hit. All of the misses gave the unit the exp. it needed for level up, which was a little ridiculous, to be honest.

4. Denying. I don't have any substantial thoughts about it, nor have I really made balance suggestions if it were to be implemented, but this is more or less the ability to attack your own units (maybe even your allied units) after a certain low HP threshold to prevent your opponent from getting the kill and subsequently, experience (generally reduced, not stopped). In other games, exp. has a radius, which is different from Wesnoth, meaning that you can't really control how exp. is distributed/awarded to the involved units as a consequence, but then again, there's the fact to consider that if an allied unit uses it's turn to attack an ally, they're stationary until the next turn sequence. Just a thought to toy around with.

Implemented or not, thanks for taking the time to read a few suggestions.
With the point 1 Im not right, because it like to much a "super power", this strategy game isnt based in super powers from the commanders like to Advance Wars.

With the point 2 I do not have any oposition or coverning idea to say something about it.

With the point 3 This happens rare times, but you need to know at all it isnt imposible at all, but maybe the wesnoth needs atleast a thing what avoid the very very good luck or the very very bad luck, doing to this type of things imposible.

With the point 4 Im not right at all, I know diying units are nasty because your enemies can get xp with a easier form, but, you need to find a posible solution to keep alive the weakness unit or to suicide it to a enemy unit who dont needs that xp from the weak unit.

Think, do you think a soldier will kill a companion only because the companion is useless?? Yeah, He will do not kill he only because is useless, here the wesnoth like to much to the real life.

Over all:
That thing what are you reclaiming does less realist the wesnoth, the wesnoth I think was a great work because it like to much to the real life in much things (luck, creative and originality from the commander) That things what I tell are very important in the wesnoth and in the reality.

I know why you are reclaiming, but Im not right in much things with you, Im less agreed than agree, so I will want to make an oposition to the idea :(
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

Vienna wrote:If it's convenient, or deemed worthy enough of spending time to do, I'd like to see the following added into the game for the overall increase of player experiences while playing.

Don't que them (mistakes happen, but you can only blame yourself not the game). Though I know there's an option from loading saves to do this.
Vienna wrote:2. Have the option of disabling the screen from auto-shifting your camera. It's equally irksome to try to maybe right-click a unit to re-familiarize yourself with their description when the camera is shifting off every other second to sources of action. I get it, units are fighting.
Do you need to be right clicking on a unit whilst it's not your turn? The camera won't shift during your turn, except at the beginning during healing parts or during movement of units.
Vienna wrote:3. Random factor. I'm aware that this is in the frequently proposed ideas thread, but I think I come with something a little different than completely revamping the concept, which is: pseudo-random probability. Similar to the Warcraft III engine, it could be made to ensure that randomness is maintained without occasionally affecting game play to a large extent. I saw 3 units all miss all of their hits on a single unit in red, while each having around 60% chance to hit. All of the misses gave the unit the exp. it needed for level up, which was a little ridiculous, to be honest.
It's just bad luck, man up, unless you want to go away and make a quantum random number generator. (the chance of all three missing isn't that small - 8/125 or 6.4%, I think [been a while since I worked with probablity]. Extremely random would be somewhere in the region of <0.01% or similar to me).
Vienna wrote:4. Denying. I don't have any substantial thoughts about it, nor have I really made balance suggestions if it were to be implemented, but this is more or less the ability to attack your own units (maybe even your allied units) after a certain low HP threshold to prevent your opponent from getting the kill and subsequently, experience (generally reduced, not stopped). In other games, exp. has a radius, which is different from Wesnoth, meaning that you can't really control how exp. is distributed/awarded to the involved units as a consequence, but then again, there's the fact to consider that if an allied unit uses it's turn to attack an ally, they're stationary until the next turn sequence. Just a thought to toy around with.
You can control how exp is distributed, if you have a low HP unit retreat it and let it heal up, use ZoC to block foes from it or if none of those are possible let it die to a foe which isn't close to levelling. Plus it's not a balance issue as both sides have the same advantage in this.

You're free to go away and make these on your own, and all credit to you if you do, who knows you could even get it into mainline if it proves better. There's plenty of support too, but don't expect someone to do it all for you. That said most of these are in the C coding of the game, so have fun with that ;).
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

The first issue can be avoided by enabling "Delay shroud updates," which will allow you to undo any normally undo-able move (not attacks), as long as you don't manually update the shroud. Of course, you do have to manually update the shroud when scouting, but this will save you from misclicks and accidentally moveto orders that move units at the beginning of your turn.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Very nice ask Caphriel, You can use the option of "Delay shoround update" but indeed, it need to to manually (sometimes you forgots :annoyed: )

But, atleast isnt thing of the wesnoth :lol2:
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Molean

Post by Molean »

What about an option to have delay shroud on by default, so that way you don't have to remember to enable it every game.
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

Definitely need a "Delay shroud updates on by default" option in preferences.

Making an irreversible mistake because "delay shroud update" is off is not a good way to start the battle. :(