Winter 2009 - Map Making Contest Entry

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Des

Winter 2009 - Map Making Contest Entry

Post by Des »

Since the forum got locked just before I posted my entry (9:11 p.m. my time), I decided to post it here.

Redrock Gulch (1.7.9 compatible)

Map description:
Resources are abundant in the deadly valley known to military and storytellers as "Redrock Gulch." Some say whispers of the fallen can be heard from the thick of swamps to the peak of mountaintops. Travelers beware: Those passing by know to leave this famous battle site off their sightseeing list.

Noteworthy default setting:
200 starting gold

Gameplay:
The 200 starting gold is intended to reduce the influence of luck so much and, along with a wide front, provide a bigger scale battle that is not currently found in default 1v1 maps.

This map is actually the most current version of my old 1v1 Clash map (found in signature).
Attachments
Redrock Gulch.zip
Three replays (3rd is most current map version) and folder containing map and cfg files.
(63.25 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
Last edited by Des on December 3rd, 2009, 8:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Redrock Gulch (Winter 2009 Map Contest Submission)

To rely on rustics and not prepare is the greatest of crimes; to be prepared beforehand for any contingency is the greatest of Virtues. - Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: Winter 2009 - Map Making Contest Entry

Post by Velensk »

You didn't read the post. You were supposed to PM late submissions in to doc or jb.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Des

Post by Des »

Velensk wrote:You didn't read the post. You were supposed to PM late submissions in to doc or jb.
Actually I did both: I read the post and PMed them my submission. But I also wanted people to be able to download the map in case they wanted to try it and give feedback.

If there's a problem with me making a new thread, move my original post in the locked one.

Also, how is it late if it's not even December 2nd yet?

To rely on rustics and not prepare is the greatest of crimes; to be prepared beforehand for any contingency is the greatest of Virtues. - Sun Tzu, The Art of War
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Des wrote:
Velensk wrote:You didn't read the post. You were supposed to PM late submissions in to doc or jb.
Actually I did both: I read the post and PMed them my submission. But I also wanted people to be able to download the map in case they wanted to try it and give feedback.

If there's a problem with me making a new thread, move my original post in the locked one.

Also, how is it late if it's not even December 2nd yet?
Time zones. They never said it would end at midnight eastern U.S. time. They never specified when on December 1st the deadline was...
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Des

Post by Des »

Aethaeryn wrote: Time zones. They never said it would end at midnight eastern U.S. time. They never specified when on December 1st the deadline was...
Which, if you're setting a strict deadline, can be a problem for a game played across many time zones...

mabeenot

Post by mabeenot »

I had a feeling this would happen...
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Guys, it's not a big deal. Des' submission has been accepted into the contest. :)
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Des

Post by Des »

Thanks, Doc. :D

Des

Post by Des »

So by my count, 26 people submitted at least one map, some entering more than once.

...I think the judges have their hands quite full this week :lol2:

Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Des wrote:So by my count, 26 people submitted at least one map, some entering more than once.

So true. :(
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Des

Post by Des »

Doc Paterson wrote:
Des wrote:So by my count, 26 people submitted at least one map, some entering more than once.

So true. :(

Has there been a decision made as to the amount of maps from the 26+ that will advance to the next round?

Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Yes. It will be the number that are good enough. :P
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."