Fuxing a few holes - Wesnoth (and Irdya) history

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

StDrake

Re: Fuxing a few holes - Wesnoth (and Irdya) history

Post by StDrake »

alright then, i corrected the two spelling bugs, thanks :)
i guess if some mod wants to the discussion about editing the spelling mistakes could be deleted

now back to the green swamp topic and wesnoth prehistory pls
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
solsword
Code Contributor

Post by solsword »

Hmm.... Well, it seems that there are now two possible fixes. From the journey map we see that the Green Swamp is in fact same as the the Swamps of Illuven (presumably a name acquired at a later date). The mention that I found of those comes from Delfador's Memoirs, scenario 6 ("The Swamps of Illuven").
Deusite wrote:The scenario for The Dragon doesn't point anywhere near the supposed Green Swamp, it points close to the swamps of Illuven in fact, just on the wrong side of the river.
Actually I'm pretty sure that's the correct side of the river: the Swamps of Illuven are one of two ways to get around the Brown Hills. Someone with more knowledge or time to investigate Delfador's Memoirs should check this out.
StDrake wrote:green swamps in there indeed land between brown hills and the river, I don't know where are Illuven swamps mentionned. The lizard beach actually falls somewhere south of the later Blackwater.
Given this information, one logical fix is to add the Green Swamp back onto the map NE of the Aethenwood, and place the dragon there. However, another possible fix is to leave the journey map as-is (besides maybe moving the council, as Deusite mentioned) and just change the text so that the elf who sends you on the quest to the beaches doesn't mention the dragon connection. It's one line of dialogue to change, and honestly, I never understood the importance of the saurian/dragon connection here. In fact, that line felt a little out-of-place to me. However, I don't really care which solution we decide to go with. The main advantage of the second (changing that line of dialogue) is that it doesn't require us to re-draw the map of Wesnoth or change the TRoW journey map. Also, someone should add an entry about the Swamps of Illuven to the Geography page in the first case, or mention it as an alternate name for the Green Swamp in the second case.

Another reason I like the second solution: It leaves a nice big uncharted hole in the map of Wesnoth, where a campaign designer could squeeze in some more content (although for now, the area is just assumed to be plains). It also leaves around a mysterious Illuven, who was so important at some point between TRoW and DM that he got the Green Swamp named after him (unless of course DM already deals with this).

So: which fix to people prefer?
The Knights of the Silver Spire campaign.

http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~pmawhorter - my website.

Teamcolors for everyone! PM me for a teamcolored version of your sprite, or you can do it yourself. If you just happen to like magenta, no hard feelings?
The1exile

Post by The1exile »

I like the second solution. More potential = better.
Rubies for passion, rubies for revenge.
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

I'd actually prefer the first solution, the tracks need to be changed anyway due to faulty council placement and there's still place between the swamp and beach and aethenwood for any invention
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
melinath

Post by melinath »

Yay absence necro. Fixing the tracking shouldn't be too tough - just a matter of changing a few numbers. Question to those who know: Is this already done? Would a patch just have to be submitted for it if not?
Lx_121

Post by Lx_121 »

was skimming thru the writing forums, looking for interesting topics. just wondering if anything further had happened with this?
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

well I've come up with a little something on the origin of (some) races and some mediocorely ancient pre-wesnothian history, just can't come up with a suitable form now
Ideally wanted to make a twin-languaged ballad, but that takes aeons and the roght mood, another option would be some mages notes about interpretation of that into a historical study..or i could just write it plain dry and noone will like it

as for the green swamp and forest placement issue - didn't notice anything new happen about it
Lx_121

Post by Lx_121 »

1. what about doing an outline first? text and/or graphics

2. is there any kind of continuity-tracking system in place for wesnoth in-universe (fiction; cannon, alternate, etc.)?
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

1. alright, but not tonight - tired and late

2. nope..well, you can sort-of place a division into: 'existing in mainline', 'umc', 'just forum stories', and my personal favourite - 'no idea where that came from but it's in the wiki'