Newcomer looking for some feedback

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TreizeCouleurs
Music Contributor

Newcomer looking for some feedback

Post by TreizeCouleurs »

Hey guys :D

Basically i'm a huuuge fan of Wesnoth AND I'm a composer so putting the two together I've decided to potentially dedicate most of my 3 month uni break to writing some music for Wesnoth, to serve both as both a great fun experience for me, as well as to get some fresh new music into the game.

Before putting in the huge amount of work this requires (I was thinking by the end of the break having say 5 proper heavily orchestrated tracks completed) I thought I'd put a little taste test of what I can do here, so you guys can evaluate if I'm good enough/in the right style.

So please give this a listen, and tell me what you think, its only 2:30 so it wont take too long :D

EcclesialNight.mp3 - 3.54MB

Oh yeah and I'm aware that

1) I haven't mixed it it hot yet so its a little low
2) Some parts need to be fixed up heavily in terms of quantisation

What I've written may seem potentially a little slow/freeform for a game like Wesnoth, so let me know if you'd rather me work at something more rhythmically action based. I just thought Wesnoth had plenty of that, so it needed some slower paced tracks to break up the flow a little. Basically if you think I've got what it takes, I'm prepared to work on anything, and I've got three months of free time in which to do it in.

Thanks !! :D
CheeseLord

Re: Newcomer looking for some feedback

Post by CheeseLord »

Hi,
Form what you posted, I would probably say that your pieces could probably make it into mainline. However, like West said, At the moment, Wesnoth needs battle music more than storyline music like this. I would probably tell you to focus more on battle music, but I'll wait for West to comment on that aspect.

Overall, nicely orchestrated, and I can see potential. Of course as I've already said, you'd probably be better off composing battle music if you want your work to get into Wesnoth mainline, but hey, good demo :)
Lord of Cheese.....especially Parmesan!!!
None shall stand against the Dwarfs in their homeland

Top 3 quotes by a developer:

1. Locked
2. Do it yourself
3. "No"
TreizeCouleurs
Music Contributor

Post by TreizeCouleurs »

Thank you for the kind words, I really really appreciate it!

And yeah I won't start doing anything else until I hear exactly what needs to be done. No point putting time into something which isn't required.

I spose my main question is, are you looking to either simply add new works, replace old pieces with very similar pieces(structurally+lengthwise), or replace the old pieces with new works?

Although if I may say so, I do find the constant timpani+martial snare assault a little overwhelming at times, so I would enjoy some leeway in being able to write some stuff in the vein of "elvish-theme." But hey, like I said, I'm prepared to write whatever! :D
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

I have heard they're looking to replace "Elvish_Land"
I will now resume lurking silently.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

StandYourGround wrote:I have heard they're looking to replace "Elvish_Land"
You are thinking elf-land.ogg (ancient, from Aleksi), not elvish-theme.ogg (newer, from Doug Kaufman).
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
CheeseLord

Post by CheeseLord »

Right, this: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=27511 topic has stuff about pieces that can possibly be replaced. And just to confirm, yes, it's elf land.ogg that the Music Devs are considering. However, I think West if working on a possible replacement, so wait until that finishes....

In the meantime, I'm sure you'd be welcome to work on another piece to replace the ones in the list on that thread. As usual, best confirm it with a Lord of Music

Hope to see your work soon!! :)
Lord of Cheese.....especially Parmesan!!!
None shall stand against the Dwarfs in their homeland

Top 3 quotes by a developer:

1. Locked
2. Do it yourself
3. "No"
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Thanks for your contribution TreizeCouleurs!

I've listened to your piece a few times and I must say I like it. It's very atmospheric with some nice celtic-inspired melodies and it definitely sounds like you know what you're doing in terms of both arrangement and orchestration. I'm not crazy about some of the solo strings samples you're using, but that's a relatively minor issue. Overall, this is very good.

But you're quite right in assuming that this is a little too slow for Wesnoth. For a heavily exploration-focused, Morrowind-style RPG, this would fit like a glove. But Wesnoth is a strategy game first and foremost and really laid back material doesn't go well with battles and tactical gameplay. I know what you're saying about the snare & timpani thing, but you don't have to resort to action music clichés in order to make action music. So in other words, yes, we'd like something a lot less tranquil than Ecclesial Night, though it doesn't have to be typical frenetic martial music.

The tunes we're looking to replace are listed in the thread CheeseLord linked to, feel free to have a stab at one (or more?) but if you want to write a completely original piece that is of course fine. I have something coming up for elf-land.ogg but don't let that stop you, first of all I have no idea when my piece will be finished and secondly there's no guarantee it will turn out to be a fitting replacement. And, of course, we can always use both tunes even if only one of them ends up replacing elf-land.

Good luck!
TreizeCouleurs
Music Contributor

Post by TreizeCouleurs »

Honestly West, to compare my music to Morrowind is like the greatest compliment you could ever give me :D

Anyways I totally agree with you on all counts. I knocked that little demo up *mainly* just to show you guys that I'm actually serious about helping out, have the gear and know-how blah blah blah ... like a little showreel thingy. And yeah, I'm not sold on that cello patch either, it's waaay too synthy and sticks out like a sore thumb.

As for now, I've got my immediate sights set on replacement cues for both Sad and Northerners.

Question though, when are these actually triggered? I'm assuming before the campaign battles start or during the text that happens usually at the start of the battles themselves? I almost always play skirmishes and I don't think I've ever heard Sad, but I know for a fact I've heard that very distinctive beating drum thing from Northerners (sounds like a pitchshifted clave or something), but I can't recall exactly when.

Anything in particular I should take into consideration with these, apart from the 30sec limit they seem to have?

Thanks for the chance to contribute !
sur.nhm

Post by sur.nhm »

TreizeCouleurs, I've heard your piece and I like it very much :geek: (might even use it in my campaign if I'll sort my WML issues...)
I'm not really around any more, but you can find me in TvTropes.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

TreizeCouleurs wrote:I almost always play skirmishes and I don't think I've ever heard Sad, but I know for a fact I've heard that very distinctive beating drum thing from Northerners (sounds like a pitchshifted clave or something), but I can't recall exactly when.
Sad is used in mainline by the Northern Rebirth campaign when any of the hero's sidekicks die (not necessarily causing the player's defeat), and gets played only once for each death — like an "incidental music" track of sorts.. I don't know how many user-made add-ons use it, but at least Invasion from the Unknown does for the same purposes as in NR.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
TreizeCouleurs
Music Contributor

Post by TreizeCouleurs »

sur.nhm wrote:TreizeCouleurs, I've heard your piece and I like it very much :geek: (might even use it in my campaign if I'll sort my WML issues...)
Thanks sur!
Don't use that version because it's not nearly complete, but let me know if you sort out your issues because I'll be willing to flesh that piece out into a longer track if you need :D
shadowmaster wrote: Sad is used in mainline by the Northern Rebirth campaign when any of the hero's sidekicks die (not necessarily causing the player's defeat), and gets played only once for each death — like an "incidental music" track of sorts.. I don't know how many user-made add-ons use it, but at least Invasion from the Unknown does for the same purposes as in NR.
Thanks shadowmaster for that! I guess that implies that it must maintain a similar length then. Certainly makes things a little easier :P