Software to Compose Music

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

firefly2442

Software to Compose Music

Post by firefly2442 »

Hello. I just started playing Wesnoth and I am very impressed. Especially with the music! What programs were used to create the music? Any open source ones out there? Thanks! :)
Roel

Post by Roel »

Roel

Post by Roel »

I think it will work only on red hat for now and you have to get it from planet ccrma
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Well, regarding what i did, i use Cubase SX 2 with HALion sampler. And i got loads of sound libraries. But this soft is not a freeware.

Aleksi.
Lindir The Green

Post by Lindir The Green »

I don't have a linux. Is there any freeware composer program for windows?
"The men of Wu and the men of Yueh are enemies; yet if they are crossing a river in the same boat and are caught by a storm, they will come to each other's assistance. Hence it is not enough to put one's trust in the tethering of horses� -Sun Tzu
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

There probably is some freeware around.

Search here:

http://www.versiontracker.com/windows/

Type what you need in the search. Goos luck! :wink:

Aleksi.
Lindir The Green

:(
No freeware ones.
Maybe I'll install MinGW or whatever it's called.
Or buy one.
Last edited by Lindir The Green on March 23rd, 2005, 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The men of Wu and the men of Yueh are enemies; yet if they are crossing a river in the same boat and are caught by a storm, they will come to each other's assistance. Hence it is not enough to put one's trust in the tethering of horses� -Sun Tzu
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

Lindir The Green wrote:Or buy one.
My wife's a composition major; at least in her fine arts department, people who in theory know what they're doing are pretty evenly split between Finale and Sibelius. From my (small) amount of experience with them, I prefer Sibelius. A fresh license will cost you approximately $300 if you can get an educational discount, however ($600ish if not).
Author of Wercator
Lindir The Green

Yeah, that's why I would prefer not to buy one.

But I don't need something too fancy. Just able to play basic tunes with various instruments.

There were some that I saw on the internet that cost only $20.00
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Quensul wrote:
Lindir The Green wrote:Or buy one.
My wife's a composition major; at least in her fine arts department, people who in theory know what they're doing are pretty evenly split between Finale and Sibelius. From my (small) amount of experience with them, I prefer Sibelius. A fresh license will cost you approximately $300 if you can get an educational discount, however ($600ish if not).
Yes but i think he wants a software to fool around and record music or use midi instruments.
Sibelius is a professional score editiing software just like Finale. So for him, there is no point.
Lindir The Green

I don't want to record. I can only play violin and I don't have a microphone. I want to create music using ONLY the computer
Roel

Post by Roel »

finale has something called finale notepad (i think) and thats rather limited compared to finale but it is free and can open finale files

edit:

get it here http://www.finalemusic.com/notepad/

but it looks like the free version doesn' t allow you to import/export midi
Lindir The Green

Thanks! I downloaded it and it is really fun! But I don't think it can import/export MIDI files. It can print sheet music, though.

I think I am going to update to the full version. It's only $25.00
azlan

Musik programs..

Post by azlan »

I just tried FL Studio..

Its a nice little program on 36mb or so... And you dont have to have a instrument to make musik with it.. But you can plug any type of instrument and record it..

And it has alot of nice effects and 48 channels i think... :)

For windows though...
|----------------------|
| The Lion is Back |
|----------------------|
Lindir The Green

And it costs 50 bucks. :(