Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Re: Some sketches

Post by Mefisto »

Thanks for crit. I made it this way: I made the layer with contour of tree, with branches. Below I placed the layer with filling of the contoru. Below I made the layer of leaves in background and at the top I placed the layer with leaves in the foreground. Then I added below this stack the branch with its leaves before and behind and at the end I added the branches at front - with their leaves. No filter at all, just tedious work on placing leaf after leaf.

I probably should have done the bark with hard brushes, like the leaves. I went out much softer. I hoped that the work is done. OK. Ill change the nose and try to improve the rest.

Edit: Now I can see that it really looks like bonsai, not like huge mass of celulose. Do you think that it would be helpful if I add another layer of leaves behind everything to fill the most glaring gaps in the canopy? Well, I'll see.
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

Return of lamias. I made a sketch for tail attack animation. I have a problem. The first and the second frame depict the snakish part of lamia's body which would fit into the 72x72 pixel box. The next three wouldn't. Wouldn't it be a problem for the game engine to use in animation pictures of variable size? Well, maybe I should ask in WML workshop. Nevertheless: the mighty tail attack!
Attachments
No upper/human body added yet. This will come later.
No upper/human body added yet. This will come later.
atak_ogon_l3.gif (2.77 KiB) Viewed 3382 times
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Mefisto wrote:I made a sketch for tail attack animation. I have a problem. The first and the second frame depict the snakish part of lamia's body which would fit into the 72x72 pixel box. The next three wouldn't. Wouldn't it be a problem for the game engine to use in animation pictures of variable size?
This is no problem, just let all frames be centered at the same point. (So, if you have do add space on the left, add the same space on the right.)
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

Thanks. I'll post all my lamias soon and start animations.

Update: L1 and L3 standard frames. Still working on L2 because I need to upgrade previous verion to be on par with current designs of the other levels. I lost 1,5 hours of work when GIMP got frozen.

Update once again: all three levels. No I'm working on animations.
I hope they are distinguishable enough. If not I can recolour the tails of L2 and L3.
Attachments
lamia-L1-raptor.png
lamia-L1-raptor.png (3.18 KiB) Viewed 3304 times
lamia-L2-colonizer.png
lamia-L2-colonizer.png (4.44 KiB) Viewed 3304 times
lamia-L3-protektor.png
lamia-L3-protektor.png (4.9 KiB) Viewed 3304 times
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

Wose again. I tweaked the face and improved facture of tree bark. And also tried to enhance the shading. I added one more layer of leaves so this pal look more like a real tree, not like kind of carrot.
Attachments
insane bonsai.png
insane bonsai.png (300.73 KiB) Viewed 3302 times
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Oh my, I do like that Wose. Good take on it, I would say c:

Maybe if you sharpened up the face a little, though? Especially the eyes look a little undefined to me, almost blurry.
Similarly, the bark on the trunk still looks rather smooth to me, almost like a fish's scales...

Anyway, keep going! This is good, as more trustworthy people than myself have already stated ;)
Valkier
Art Contributor

Post by Valkier »

At the moment, the wose appears very flat. There's no cast shadows, no definition of what leaves are closer and further from us, and no definitive direction from which light is coming from and hitting him.
Win if you can. Lose if you must. But always cheat.
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

Thanks for input. At this moment this is the zenith of my graphic skills. I don't know how I can do it to appear less flat. I don't want to lose a fractal appearance of this guy's canopy. Do you think I should make some kind of outline around groups of leaves?
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Well, that certainly is cool, despite the flaws valkier pointed out :D
I think the leaves look pretty good as they are (some might be still a little darker though, I guess), so I don't think the outlining is completely necessary. The tree itself might need a bit of more definement considering the lighting, but generally, this looks great.
For the dark gods!
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

OK. I'll do something about it. I mean to darken some leaves and improve the trunk shading.

Update: There is.
Attachments
Manic_Bonsai.png
Manic_Bonsai.png (286.09 KiB) Viewed 3127 times
Frogger5

Post by Frogger5 »

Im new to this thread but from comparing this to the later one, its alot better. He looks a bit more 3D now. However, now the snake like bark has come to light and is slightly more obvious. Apart from that, looking good!
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

In my eyes the only real problem is that the "body" seems to have rather midget-like proportions, which doesn't really strike me as fitting.

Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

I was trying to make a portrait that matches the sprite, which has thick, twisted trunk, like a mixture of oak and willow. So I tried to draw something like that, not a walking sequoia.

Besides the canon appearance of the woses is not established yet, AFAIK.

Thanks for comments anyway. I missed a feedback.

Edit: an experiment with outlines.
Attachments
Paranoid_Bonsai.png
Paranoid_Bonsai.png (295.2 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
00201_wose.png
00201_wose.png (4.24 KiB) Viewed 3034 times
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

They say that a new cuttlefish is needed. So I did my try. I would appreciate feedback. On my wose too, last picture was completely ignored and I don't know if it is really that bad.
Attachments
New_cuttlefish.png
New_cuttlefish.png (6.29 KiB) Viewed 2934 times
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Woah. O.O

That is awesome. I really don't have anything to critique here.