1v1 Replays! (THE ARCHIVE)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rigor

Re: 1v1 Replays! (THE ARCHIVE)

Post by Rigor »

i finally made it, built only 2 fishes instead of 6 what seemed right and led them into an assault from the right side of the den of onis. after i managed to lure my opponent into a very occupying attack with leader participation, i sneaked with 2 hex per turn speed past him,deploying my final deadly weapon in his backyard. i think a scout would have served me better to be honest. chapter cave-fish is closed :D
Attachments
2p_-_Den_of_Onis_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
ninja sushi in elf mirror
(18.32 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I really do not know why I'm posting this. Something about this game and the way it ended bothered me. My opponent lost after a streak of bad luck however he had been getting decent luck up till that point. He never spoke a word.

This is a 1.7.7 replay.
Attachments
2p_-_The_Freelands_replay.gz
(13.06 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

i think there should be a thread about bothersome games in general.

today i had a game where i could have cried out of anger. situation:

3v3 hexcake, one leaves early, i have the honor to play two sides. so far i was not really pissed because sometimes players are so slow so np.

then, red on my side was doing some noobish things, while i was well prepared and killed lots of units.

then, red did more foolish things so that i had to save him and give him hints on how to best move his crappy few units so he wont lose all of them in 3 turns.
at some point, brown left "because hes going to die" what in fact was not happening at all.

THEN, i got disconnected, and one of the opponents was flaming me how i cant take the loss (at a point of the game, where i really wouldnt say that) and later when i tried to get them back to load the saved game he said i might have manipulated the save so i would turn it around with such a trick. i was really angry for such an idiotic statement.

in the end, he didnt want to participate any more and the best of them was playing against me in a 3v3 mode.

and then the thing that really started to bother me happened: incredible rngs - virtually every turn (and there were many turns). velensk i know how u feel! we saved the game at a point where i would have loved to grab his dirty elf-drake-undead neck and toss his head into the screen. i know its just a game and im not really so serious about it, BUT SOMETIMES I [censored]_ING AM !! aw man, im sure u know what im talking about XD

but look for yourself, here are part 1 and 2. part 3 is in progress.
Attachments
6p_-_Hexcake_Turn_20_(4352).gz
part 2
(101.63 KiB) Downloaded 316 times
6p_-_Hexcake_Turn_11_(4067).gz
part 1
(28.75 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

here is part 3 we finished today. i actually managed to kill a leader XD, still a very bothersome game. super good player toasting me there: bill-08 i dont know if hes been playing with only this nickname or if there was somebody else behind the computer. anyways, if u should cross this guy take care of a patient and carefully planned playstyle.
Attachments
6p_-_Hexcake_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
part 3
(191.46 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

a game on a new map:

two is a crown.

this map is really dope !

looks like crap but in fact is really entertaining (maybe due to the fact that i never lost a SINGLE game on it yet :D :D :D )

this time, the guy i was playing with was really good as well !
Attachments
2p_-_Two_is_a_crowd_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
Rigor p1 picked orcs vs stanimir picked drakes
(14.71 KiB) Downloaded 521 times
Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

A very nice sparring session for the orcs vs. humans tournament with Veliq on Thalin's Stronghold. Many ups and downs on this one.
Attachments
2p_-_Thalin's_Stronghold_-_C..._replay.gz
(22.96 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Bellerophon wrote:A very nice sparring session for the orcs vs. humans tournament with Veliq on Thalin's Stronghold. Many ups and downs on this one.
That's interesting that non-default maps are allowed in the tournament. :hmm:
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

That's interesting that non-default maps are allowed in the tournament. :hmm:
It was a practice match, using grrr's random map mod. :) Not to practice the map but the matchup.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

a super kewl match :)
Death

Post by Death »

For anyone interested, here's the greatest game I've ever been a part of since I started playing Wesnoth about a year or so ago.

Setting: Death's loyals vs. Elvenking's HODOR on the new Sablestone (both factions randomed, and the map was generated as well).

EK starts with a hard night attack, and Death concedes two villages in exchange for a chance to deal some good damage. This set the tone for the rest of the game, as EK had more income to HODOR while Death had more kills to level. This back-and-forth cycle continued with a lot of action for several days, with neither side ever having enough punch to deal the final punishing/finishing blow to the other.

Finally, when Death makes his farthest push, finally taking an EK village, EK leads a furious counterassault-cum-gambit, well-calculated and with everything at stake. The game up until this point had been one of the better ones I'd played, but the ending launched it into the stratosphere, and made it into an epic.

This is exactly the game I was hoping to play when I discovered Wesnoth. Exciting right up until the very final showdown. It only kind of sucks that as much a flood of endorphins as it was to win, it must've been rough to lose. Then again, he can always blame HODOR :D

A few other notes:

On my part, I made many fewer mistakes than usual, and they were minor. EK played a great HODOR (as far as I know. some people seem to eat and poop that stuff), though it was also a very disciplined band of rogues. Not once in the entire game did I see EK make a reckless push that could've sunk him. On a couple of occasions he dangled his leader perilously close to my leveled units, but he was always just out of reach.

Also, and importantly: This was one of those rare games where the RNG-factor played out as it ought - altering the course of the game, but not making or breaking it in a single run of luck.

I heard later that the obs had a tough time deciding who was going to win (and rightly so, as proved in the end).

Also, this game was LONG. My roommates were watching a full season of friends on the couch next to me and they fell asleep. I left it on because TV helps teh add for some reason.

My roommates went to bed. I got through another full season.

Oh, and by the end of it, I had forgotten it was thanksgiving week.

Ok enough ramble. Enjoy, I certainly did.

edit:

oh ps- if anyone wants to tell me i'm wrong, stupid, and could've beaten hodor easily if only i had: a)moved right 2) recruited better, and/or d) adopted a different strategy, please by all means send me a pm. I'm always looking to get better.
Attachments
DeathElvenKingEpic.gz
Loys vs Hodor on Sablestone
(35.08 KiB) Downloaded 404 times
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

WWWWWWWWhat a great game with lots of ups and downs.

incredible how EK just thought he could march past you in that last turns, and how he got screwed over because of it. a really tough play against so MANY units, isnt it. i think you made a crucial error in countering him with so few units (the only time u ever countered) but the recruits themselves were fine. i would have recruited more fishes because of their speed on that map and because they can hold the line easier than spears. on points where there is no protecting terrain.

things u can do about hodor as loyalists is doing the things u did in the end, although u had zero horseman through the game, which might have scared ur opponend decisively more from using his leader.

and phew,

today i had a ladder rematch against psychic. it was meant to be a showdown between orcs (him p1) and elves in the caves of the basilisk.

after the orcs first attack elves were morally completely down because of 2 heavy losses at T4/5. from this point on there was one bright moment in the morning (T7) where they could have tried to put orcs on the west side under heavy pressure and with some twisted luck an assassin died at attacking a fish at sunlight, but then again elves screwed it up. luckily i had my best share of the rng at turn 12/13 where i managed to survive the night with minimal losses. afterwards it turned out to be a tour de force with a very bad village balance (and very bad luck at T14/15 *cough cough*), reducing the rest of the game to a survival-like slaughterfeast with a furious performance par excellence at the end .

NO IM NOT GOING TO DIE, DAMNIT !!!

Attachments
orcs_versus_elves_on_cotb.gz
psychic laddering Rigor
(33.94 KiB) Downloaded 408 times
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

in this game something went wrong with the dwarfish guns, probably a bad batch that also influenced drakish swords which were forged from the same steel.

my gunners had this accuracy:

thx for the game, death, ur a very good player!
Attachments
crazy_sabrestone.gz
(29.42 KiB) Downloaded 363 times
cacahuete

orcs + drakes vs loyals + elvens

Post by cacahuete »

Good game!. I don't know if that's the correct forum to post replays, tell me if im wroing :eng:
Attachments
leales_vs_dracos_y_orcos.gz
(22.01 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Moved the above to the proper thread.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
UngeheuerLich

Post by UngeheuerLich »

A game I (Undead) played this night with Rigor (Loyalists). A very interesting match with leader marches to the enemy and retreats to the castle... took us about five and an half hours to finish. 46 turns on Freelands.

Actually one of the most intersting Games i ever played, and chatting while playing was fun too. So thank you. :)
Attachments
Rigor(Loyalists) vs Ungeheuerlich(Undead) 46 turns.gz
(56.73 KiB) Downloaded 399 times