Wesnoth 1.6.5 won't work with Ubuntu karmic koala

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
PwntNooblet

Re: Wesnoth 1.6.5 won't work with Ubuntu karmic koala

Post by PwntNooblet »

sudo aptitude install libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio
sudo aptitude remove libsdl1.2debian-alsa

This fixed wesnoth for me. I was having the exact problem that everyone else is describing and is rather disheartening because Wesnoth is one of my favorite games to play in Linux.

I am using Karmic Koala w/ all the newest updates. I hope this helps you guys/gals out. High five for an easy fix.
PaulInBHC

Post by PaulInBHC »

New member and Ubuntu (9.10) user here. The above sudo install also does the above listed uninstall. No need to do it.

I had to end pulseaudio in system monitor in orfer to get BfW to quit. I'll see how it works now after the above fix. Thanks
LAZA

Post by LAZA »

My problem (4 times so far):
BfW hangs/crashes at the end - after clicking on 'Exit'.
PC runs but the window doesn't go away, still after a few minutes!
So I had to close the session but even this is no solution cause the screen goes black and no login screen appears - so I have to reboot!

Ubuntu 9.10 (fresh installed)
Linux ubuntu 2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:05:01 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
wesnoth 1:1.6.5-1 (installed from synaptic)
Modus: 1900x1200x32, full screen
language: german
Dell Precision T3500
-
* Manjaro Xfce 64 Bit - Testing *
amrankwit

Post by amrankwit »

Same prob for me, minus the sound issue.

Tired of crashing on exit and having to reboot. I attempt to go and kill the process, but my sysmon won't start, or mb it just doesn't come to the front of the screen..not sure.

I'm pretty new to linux though, so in the end, I will bet my main problem is me! lol I'm running the latest Ubuntu, on a laptop from USB..I don't think thats an issue though.

So...crash on hitting 'exit'. The button even lights up and stays lit, and then nada..reboot. :(

help?
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

LAZA wrote:My problem (4 times so far):
BfW hangs/crashes at the end - after clicking on 'Exit'.
PC runs but the window doesn't go away, still after a few minutes!
So I had to close the session but even this is no solution cause the screen goes black and no login screen appears - so I have to reboot!
Funny thing, and I don't know how general it is, but after I tried to turn on sounds&music, this bug appeared for the first time, before, everything was fine with music&sounds turned off. Can anybody confirm?

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Fulgurator

Post by Fulgurator »

I've got about the same here: When starting BfW, everything works fine. But, after a little while, the music and sounds stop. When I try to exit while the music is still playing, everything is OK. When I try to exit after the music has stopped, BfW freezes. When I open my system monitor I see it consumes 100% CPU(=1 or my two 1.8 GHz cores) and is in waiting channel "futex_queue_me" or something like that.

It takes about 15-30 minutes for the music to stop, depending on whether I'm on battery or AC(yes, I'm on a laptop) and how hot my processor is(eg what noise my fan is making). It seems to be a performance issue.

Some stats:
BfW 1.6.5 from the Ubuntu Software Center
64-bit Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala, upgraded from 9.04 Jaunty
Intel Core 2 duo T7100 1.8GHz dual core processor
2 gigs of RAM
Anything else?

EDIT:
I was playing in a window, so I could open system monitor and kill the process (stopping or ending the process didn't work). I also tried playing full screen once, but that resulted in not being able to open the system monitor and having to reboot.

Also, I monitored the CPU levels while playing for half a minute, and it didn't rise over 50%. It seems like somewhere it gets stuck in an infinite loop, causing the music to stop and the program to refuse exiting. Or maybe the infinite loop is somewhere in the music routines/functions/methods.

EDIT 2:
The switch from alsa to pulseaudio seems to work, though I haven't had the time to throroughly test it.
Last edited by Fulgurator on November 15th, 2009, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulInBHC

Post by PaulInBHC »

The pulseaudio fix at the top of this page fixed the game for me BUT I play with the music OFF.
Fulgurator

Post by Fulgurator »

The pulseaudio fix works for me as well.

I'm new to this game, and I'm glad I can enjoy it full screen and with music (great music by the way), and not having to kill the process every time I play more than 15 minutes or so.
LAZA

Post by LAZA »

HomerJ wrote:
Funny thing, and I don't know how general it is, but after I tried to turn on sounds&music, this bug appeared for the first time, before, everything was fine with music&sounds turned off. Can anybody confirm?

Greetz
HomerJ
Not really!
For the first time I had no music but after editing screen solution and other things (NOT sound! I just look into it and all seemed correct for me), exiting and starting again - sound!
So it was for me a miracle why on the first start no sound was played...

But now I'll try to shut down the sound and play a little bit, just for example what the ending is...
Dell Precision T3500
-
* Manjaro Xfce 64 Bit - Testing *
anomie

Post by anomie »

Hi -

There is a bug in libsdl that can bork Wesnoth sound on ubuntu

see:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/203158

the fix:

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude install libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio 

hth.
opensourcejunkie

Post by opensourcejunkie »

hey, I tried the "install libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio" fix, rebooted, and restarted wesnoth. Now all of the sound options in "preferences" are unchecked, and then I try to check them, they refuse to be selected. I'm assuming that means that wesnoth is now unable to play sounds (or rather, now knows it's unable to play sounds). Any further advice? Or anyone run into similar problems? I'm running Kubuntu Karmic on an x86 architecture.

Thanks for any help,
-- OSJ
what if the Bible's claims about Christ depicted accurate, verifiable history? given some research, you might be surprised at the evidence...
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Maybe you, for some reason, weren't bothered with pulseaudio? See if installi g libsdl1.2debian-alsa helps.
opensourcejunkie

Well, I tried that, and installing alsa allowed me to select the sound options again (my speakers even gave a slight "pop" once music was selected. However, the music still doesn't play. I double checked the gamedata/data/core/music directory to make sure I had the music installed; it's there :-/. Any other ideas? Thanks,
--OSJ

EDIT: If I installed wesnoth from source instead of apt-get, would that make a difference? It sounds like the problem exists outside of wesnoth, but I thought I'd throw that out there anyway, for anyone with a slightly better understanding of the situation.

EDIT: Just as an aside, I also tried installing a windows version of BfW, and running it under WINE. Still no sound.
what if the Bible's claims about Christ depicted accurate, verifiable history? given some research, you might be surprised at the evidence...
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Can you play other music? The "pop from the speakers" sounds like a broken soundsystem.

If you need to test, try this:
-install mplayer
-open a terminal
-run mplayer /usr/share/wesnoth/data/core/music/*.ogg
opensourcejunkie

Can you play other music? The "pop from the speakers" sounds like a broken soundsystem.
Yeah, that's the first thing I double-checked when this whole problem began. I am able to play music via amarok and the Dolphin file previewer (I checked the wesnoth music specifically too). Movie files also work with sound when played in Dragon Player, however IIRC the last time I played one in VLC, the sound didn't work. Anyone know if they use a different...sound engine, or something? Maybe that'll help diagnose the problem. One other bit of sound trouble I have is when playing flash videos; the sound hasn't worked since I updated to karmic. That being said, everything I read about the problem said that the fault lied in Adobe's latest player, linux version.

--OSJ

EDIT: I did, for kicks, run your mplayer command, and after tweaking the filepath (mine's different), received the following error message(s):

Code: Select all

nate@davix:~$ mplayer /usr/share/games/wesnoth/data/core/music/*                                                          
MPlayer SVN-r29237-4.4.1 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team          
mplayer: could not connect to socket                         
mplayer: No such file or directory                           
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.                                             

Playing /usr/share/games/wesnoth/data/core/music/battle.ogg.
[Ogg] stream 0: audio (Vorbis), -aid 0                      
Demuxer info Genre changed to Romantic Classical            
Ogg file format detected.                                   
Clip info:                                                  
 Name: Battle Music
 Artist: Aleksi Aubry-Carlson
 Creation Date: 2006
 Album: The Battle for Wesnoth OST
 Track: 0
 Genre: Romantic Classical
==========================================================================
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 160.0 kbit/11.34% (ratio: 20000->176400)
Selected audio codec: [ffvorbis] afm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg Vorbis)
==========================================================================
[pulse] working around probably broken pause functionality,
        see http://www.pulseaudio.org/ticket/440
waitpid(): No child processes
AO: [pulse] Init failed: Internal error
Failed to initialize audio driver 'pulse'
AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Video: no video
Starting playback...
[AO_ALSA] Pcm in suspend mode, trying to resume.
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_hw.c:731:(snd_pcm_hw_resume) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_RESUME failed: Function not implemented
I checked out the pulseaudio ticket, which seemed to address an error unrelated to my specific problem, so that was no help, sadly. But, interestingly, the sound here didn't work, so if we can figure out the problem here, maybe it'll help solve the wesnoth problem, since that one yields less STDERR feedback.

EDIT: Okay, silly me. For the fun of it, I tried playing the music via the mplayer GUI, and while I did receive an error in the form of a popup box, the music would play...once I turned mplayer's volume up. <("<) (>")> !!!! After doing that, I tried playing the music from the command line again, and it plays fine. So, problem solved for mplayer, but back to the drawing board for wesnoth 8-|.