The Silver Lands (0.1.0) for BfW 1.7.6 and later

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Espreon
Inactive Developer

The Silver Lands (0.1.0) for BfW 1.7.6 and later

Post by Espreon »

This thread is for the discussion of The Silver Lands, a single-player campaign for 1.7.6 and later.

Satellite threads:
Related campaigns:
Other related threads:
The Silver Lands is a single-player campaign for 1.7.6 that takes place after Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm, in the (off-map) eastern region of the Great Continent (the Silver Lands).

Campaign description (extracted from the first episode):

"Even after the fall of the great Chaos Empire there are still those loyal to the great evil; those people are very eager to reform that monstrosity, and they are willing to do anything to unleash the horrible evils into this world.

Our 'little' story takes us to the region east of the commonly known, to an elementalist who will accomplish the seemingly impossible."

Like IftU and AtS, this campaign shall have two episodes (playable as two separate campaigns). About thirty scenarios are planned. As only two scenarios are done, I consider this release (0.1.0) to be a demo. Regardless, please report any bugs (here or on the #wesnoth-umc-dev channel on the Freenode IRC network), spelling/grammatical errors, et cetera. Also, if you have any suggestions, please share them.

Please ignore the elementals' unit descriptions, as I am going to rewrite them.

Thank you.

Downloading:

The Silver Lands can be obtained on the addons server for 1.7.8 and later. Also, it —and xdeltas— can be obtained from SourceForge.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: The Silver Lands (0.1.0) for BfW 1.7.6 and later

Post by Velensk »

Just giving you a summery of my impressions.

Intro to first scenario: Not mindlessly slaughter everything on the map. The idea is to make it a very mindful slaughtering of enemies on the map.

First Scenario: Nice simple into scenario.

Second Scenario: This is where I started having issues. I was jotting down notes for this one as I was playing it and these were the impressions of my first play through.

Either I missed something or I can recruit elementals in this scenario that I couldn't in the last. Is this a feature or am I just missing something

I’m going to assume that I missed where they explained the impassable barrier, but if you didn’t explain it then shame on you. If you must have an impassable area then at least come up with a reason for it. It would be nice if you could create some kind of mystic barrier terrain to show that there really is something blocking off all that area then you could simply replace the mystic barrier with the real terrain when the area becomes accessible.

Blessed spring: Err... it would be neat if there was any reason to use it. It’s to far away from anything that is happening.

If you are going to have a place that looks as artificial/magical as 31,31 it would be nice if it did anything. Looking at it gives me the impression that there is some significance to that area because lakes do not naturally do that. As a result it feels... less than satisfying. Like it was there to be there when it looks like it should be there to do something. If it isn't going to do something, then I think it would bother me less if it looked more like a natural lake.

I find it incredibly strange that a dieing person would write a letter to himself gloating about where he hid his own treasure, and that he would describe in in terms of the map co-ordinates.

You appear to have forgotten to seed the map with villages. If you do not have some sort of “Reset gold” effect in the next scenario this could be a major problem.

I find the idea of some of the elementals talking a bit strange. Especially so when they use exclamation points.

It tells me: “We should go away from the swamp” but I find myself heading there anyway, because it is the only place that seems to have anything for me to do.

Wyrms, which are winged creatures, do not fly?

I open the gate and my main character goes flying from across the map to go through your cutscene leaving my army to fight aliens in the swamp :/

I get the feeling that what you were attempting to do with this scenario would work best if we started close to the woses and had decided to stay/explore the woods then have the lich show up around turn 7. I feel the way you had it set up would frequently lead to strange dissonance especially in the case of the barrier which I found very damaging to the atmosphere. Also it would have been nice to know I should have saved some gold for incase my leader got hurled across the map and needed to recruit.

The crackling flames is a nice idea but I find that it is more annoying than adding after awhile as I like to listen to the music without the repetitive overlay

I’m supposed to get my my leader to the tomb, after he’s been sent across the map to try to fight off the undead? If I am supposed to go up and open the gate immediately then my leader would never have the time to abandon his allies to explore a tomb, and if I'm supposed to just go exploring for fun and then open the gate when I'm done then by the time I do open the gate I'd be stuck with a battered army and a few hundred gold debt.

I’m finally back to 0 gold. After my allies have already been slaughtered pathetically.

Merely been teleported to a safe location sounds like a way of saving a player who has made a mistake (like me in this instance). Not inherently a problem but not very satisfying.

You have clearly put a lot of effort into the presentation of this campaign.

The aliens popping out of nowhere is annoying. I already defeated them. I shouldn’t have to be fighting more of them while I try to get my troops to where they would be useful. Though I suppose it is my fault for not following the scenario advice but where else was I supposed to send my troops, the rest of the map was blocked off.

You seem to have extended the environments longer than average night to be even longer still. The woses were dead enough as it was without the 10 turn long night.

My ghost died on turn 21
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Velensk wrote: First Scenario: Nice simple into scenario.
Thanks.
Velensk wrote:Second Scenario: This is where I started having issues. I was jotting down notes for this one as I was playing it and these were the impressions of my first play through.

Either I missed something or I can recruit elementals in this scenario that I couldn't in the last. Is this a feature or am I just missing something
Yeah, that is a feature. I probably just forgot to update scenario one's recruit list.
Velensk wrote:I’m going to assume that I missed where they explained the impassable barrier, but if you didn’t explain it then shame on you. If you must have an impassable area then at least come up with a reason for it. It would be nice if you could create some kind of mystic barrier terrain to show that there really is something blocking off all that area then you could simply replace the mystic barrier with the real terrain when the area becomes accessible.
I merely forgot to throw in an explanation for the barrier.
Velensk wrote:Blessed spring: Err... it would be neat if there was any reason to use it. It’s to far away from anything that is happening.
Then I shall either move it closer to the swamp or add another spring that is closer to the swamp.
Velensk wrote:If you are going to have a place that looks as artificial/magical as 31,31 it would be nice if it did anything. Looking at it gives me the impression that there is some significance to that area because lakes do not naturally do that. As a result it feels... less than satisfying. Like it was there to be there when it looks like it should be there to do something. If it isn't going to do something, then I think it would bother me less if it looked more like a natural lake.
Well, I added that and similar features, as I liked them. But, I guess I could give it actual gameplay value.
Velensk wrote:I find it incredibly strange that a dieing person would write a letter to himself gloating about where he hid his own treasure, and that he would describe in in terms of the map co-ordinates.
Then I shall obfuscate the description on the location of the treasure.
Velensk wrote:You appear to have forgotten to seed the map with villages. If you do not have some sort of “Reset gold” effect in the next scenario this could be a major problem.
Well, I did not place any villages in the immediately accessible areas, so that players wouldn't be able to farm gold from them. I guess that I could create more gold-giving events.
Velensk wrote:I find the idea of some of the elementals talking a bit strange. Especially so when they use exclamation points.
Then I shall have Sorum'tar/Tyramos convey the words of elementals.
Velensk wrote:It tells me: “We should go away from the swamp” but I find myself heading there anyway, because it is the only place that seems to have anything for me to do.
Didn't you read the sign that was close to the swamp? ;)
Velensk wrote:Wyrms, which are winged creatures, do not fly?
Just because something has wings does not mean that the creature has to use them (or even has the ability to use them).
Velensk wrote:I open the gate and my main character goes flying from across the map to go through your cutscene leaving my army to fight aliens in the swamp :/
Eh, I forgot to remove that...

Also, they are not aliens.
Spoiler:
Velensk wrote:I’m supposed to get my my leader to the tomb, after he’s been sent across the map to try to fight off the undead? If I am supposed to go up and open the gate immediately then my leader would never have the time to abandon his allies to explore a tomb, and if I'm supposed to just go exploring for fun and then open the gate when I'm done then by the time I do open the gate I'd be stuck with a battered army and a few hundred gold debt.
Well, I intended for these things to be done before going to Sérqitum.
Velensk wrote:You have clearly put a lot of effort into the presentation of this campaign.
Thank you.
Velensk wrote:The aliens popping out of nowhere is annoying. I already defeated them. I shouldn’t have to be fighting more of them while I try to get my troops to where they would be useful. Though I suppose it is my fault for not following the scenario advice but where else was I supposed to send my troops, the rest of the map was blocked off.
Well, under the swamp, there is a massive hive of Shaxthals, so of course there are going to be connections between the hive and the swamp.
Velensk wrote:You seem to have extended the environments longer than average night to be even longer still. The woses were dead enough as it was without the 10 turn long night.
Spoiler:
Velensk wrote:My ghost died on turn 21
:(

Thank you for playing, and thank you for your input.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Minor reply: I have most frequently heard the word wyrm used as another word for dragon. Even if not all creatures with wings fly the creature illustrated appears to be flying.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Velensk wrote:Minor reply: I have most frequently heard the word wyrm used as another word for dragon. Even if not all creatures with wings fly the creature illustrated appears to be flying.
Typically, dragons that are called wyrms do not have legs. Besides, wyrm comes from an Old English word (wyrm) that is used to reference worms, snake/serpents, and creeping insects such as maggots, so the Shaxthal Wyrm is likely to be called that due to its serpentine body. As for the poor movement capabilities, just consider the Shaxthal Wyrm to have a weaker, less reliable anti-gravity device/organ/whatever than its cousins until the creator of the unit can give an official excuse/explanation.