Newbie guide to virtual orchestration -- anyone interested?

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

West
Retired Lord of Music

Newbie guide to virtual orchestration -- anyone interested?

Post by West »

The latest year I've been jotting down brief ideas and snippets of text for what could possibly become sort of a newbie guide to virtual orchestration. It will deal with everything from what hardware and software you need to basic orchestration/recording tips and a walkthrough of how to create a basic orchestral arrangement. Right now it's all a mess, as mentioned it's just snippets and various short notes on what topics to cover. But before I even think about going any further I'd like to know if anyone would be interested in a guide like this.

I know that to some of you this might seem like hubris. I'm not an experienced composer by any stretch of the imagination, and me writing an orchestral music how-to might seem a tad arrogant. But at the same time I feel that I have learned so much over the last three years that I would like to share it somehow.

I can't give you an ETA on this project, if I decide to go ahead with it. My free time is limited these days and I prioritize writing music over writing *about* music. All I would like to know this seems like a good idea.
tsr

Re: Newbie guide to virtual orchestration -- anyone interested?

Post by tsr »

Yes!

I think this as excellent idea. There are some things that we need to find out for ourselves from the ground up but most things we can learn by reading something and then experimenting from that level.

If the article is relevant (and I am sure it will be) posting (or linking to) it on the wesnoth-wiki will ensure that prospective music contributors to wesnoth _and_ a lot of other people thinking about creating music this way will find really useful information.

/tsr

ps. I also think that this future article adds to the good will of wesnoth much like the article Jet wrote about artists in FOSS (is that in the wiki yet?)
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

tsr wrote:There are some things that we need to find out for ourselves from the ground up but most things we can learn by reading something and then experimenting from that level.
Yes, that was my thought as well. I experienced a lot of frustration when I started out as there was no single comprehensive guide availiable, and I had to spend a lot of time fumbling blindly and learning things through trial and error. There are a few good articles (or were; many of those linked to in the Resources thread aren't there anymore), but most of them deal with more advanced techniques or specific sample libraries. I would like to write something that will help people to get started, with the most basic tools possible.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thumbs up. Your guide wouldn't show hubris and I think it would be useful.
CheeseLord

Post by CheeseLord »

That would be a great idea.....I for one would like this idea :mrgreen:
Perhaps one of the hardest things IMHO as a composer is starting. I remember when I started composing (6 months ago) when I had no idea of digital orchestration. There were, and still are virtually no guides for using DAWs and soundfonts and everything on a basic level. I admit, I almost gave up 3 months ago on automation, FX channels and all that technical stuff, because I had no idea how to proceed. Even now I only have been learning about them from finding online lessons on a music forum. So yeah, a guide for newbs would be awesome and I'd think much welcomed by lots of aspiring musicians :)
Lord of Cheese.....especially Parmesan!!!
None shall stand against the Dwarfs in their homeland

Top 3 quotes by a developer:

1. Locked
2. Do it yourself
3. "No"
Kess

Post by Kess »

Splendid idea, I hope you go through with it! :mrgreen:

I have looked for something like this halfheartedly for some time now, just to get a grasp of the basics, without much success.
Zaphod42

Post by Zaphod42 »

I would be very interested. One of the first thing I liked of Wesnoth was the very good soundtrack, compared to the music usually found in other games, and I would love to contribute. I did try a few months ago, but since I never composed though a "computer" orchestra, and I could not find any good tutorial, I didn't go very far. So in my opinion, yes, it's and extremely good idea.
marcusvinicius

Post by marcusvinicius »

I'm sure it is. If I get a quarter of your knowledge about virtual orquestration I'll be a happy guy.
Listen to the music
O que faz de mim ser o que sou. É gostar de ir por onde ninguém for
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

OK, thanks everyone. I'm glad to see that people are interested, it definitely makes me want to get to work on this project. But like I said, I can't really say when or if it'll be finished.
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

I like the idea. What do you think about maybe some of the LoM's and MC's adding to it if we have $0.02 to throw in? maybe post it as a sticky but moderate the replies on the thread, then put it all together at the end as a whole? Just an idea. I'm all about the spreading of information.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

how about doing it on the wesnoth wiki ? we can always lock pages once you're happy with them
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
CheeseLord

Post by CheeseLord »

Hmmm....this may be off topic, but I recommend budding composers to look at this: http://www.robin-hoffmann.com/2009/09/2 ... or-part-i/ and the second part - some awesome insights on composing complete with examples from score + live performance.

1. Locked
2. Do it yourself
3. "No"
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Tyler Johnson wrote:What do you think about maybe some of the LoM's and MC's adding to it if we have $0.02 to throw in? maybe post it as a sticky but moderate the replies on the thread, then put it all together at the end as a whole? Just an idea. I'm all about the spreading of information.
Absolutely, sounds like a great idea! Of course, we'd have to make sure we're not giving completely contradictory advice as I doubt we all work the same way. Or at least make the reader aware that there are many different ways of doing things and even if you say x and I say y, we're both actually right.
Boucman wrote:how about doing it on the wesnoth wiki ? we can always lock pages once you're happy with them
Sure, why not.
CheeseLord wrote:Hmmm....this may be off topic, but I recommend budding composers to look at this: http://www.robin-hoffmann.com/2009/09/2 ... or-part-i/ and the second part - some awesome insights on composing complete with examples from score + live performance.
Wow, talk about in-depth guide! Thanks for the tip Cheeselord, this is definitely a valuable resource.
CheeseLord

Post by CheeseLord »

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to say,
I'd be happy to help with anything if you want. I'd personally love to chip in a few tips and freebies :)

1. Locked
2. Do it yourself
3. "No"