After the Storm (0.2.1) for Wesnoth 1.7.8+ ONLY

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm (0.2.1) for Wesnoth 1.7.8+ ONLY

Post by Iris »

NOTE:

This topic is for an outdated and unmaintained version series. A lot of progress has been made since then. The current and more complete version is currently available on the 1.10.x add-ons server and has a separate topic on this forum. Please follow that link and skip this topic, kept only for historical purposes.

Progress:
  • Episode I: 5 scenarios out of 11 planned.
  • Episode II: not started.
Prequel: Satellite threads: Downloading:

The latest release is 0.2.1 and it is intended to work with Wesnoth 1.7.8 and later only. It should also work with Wesnoth 1.7.7. It may work with earlier 1.7.x releases but I'm not giving support for them.

It can be obtained directly from the add-ons server for Wesnoth 1.7.8 and later, or from the URLs below: Again, it should work on Wesnoth 1.7.7 despite the unavailability of a package on the add-ons server for 1.7.7 and earlier.

The release notes for the first version of this series follows. For the latest version's release notes, go to the thread's last post and skim from there upwards.
First version's release notes:
Last edited by Iris on September 29th, 2012, 8:26 am, edited 7 times in total.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Theron

Re: After the Storm (0.1.1) for Wesnoth 1.5.9+

Post by Theron »

AtS 0.1.0, medium difficulty

I played the first four scenarios and I liked it.
I have a few comments:

Scenario 1:
The scenario notes state the carryover bonus being 40%. But you will only get 20%. Personally I don't like the idea of changing bonus rules.

Scenario 2:
Dark Adepts and Ghosts are now recruitable without any hint.
Dark Adepts may be impressed citizens of scenario 1.

Scenario 3:
Bats are now recruitable without any explanation.
At first I thought Green would be overrun but after clearing my area and slowly moving NE everything was under control.

Scenario 4:
The first painful scenario. It seems to be designed not only to deplete your gold but also to kill several veterans. Maybe I should have developed some level 3 instead of more level 2 units.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Theron wrote:AtS 0.1.0, medium difficulty

I played the first four scenarios and I liked it.
I have a few comments:

Scenario 1:
The scenario notes state the carryover bonus being 40%. But you will only get 20%. Personally I don't like the idea of changing bonus rules.
I didn't:
???
???
I have no idea why you are getting only 20%... mind to post a saved game?
The first painful scenario. It seems to be designed not only to deplete your gold but also to kill several veterans. Maybe I should have developed some level 3 instead of more level 2 units.
Yeah, the only problem is that you downloaded version 0.1.0, which was reuploaded as 0.1.1 15 minutes later; 0.1.1 includes a big disclaimer regarding that scenario. It's not completed. :P There are not even enough villages or dialog.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Theron

Post by Theron »

There is an (version 0.1.0) autosave attached which will give one 20% bonus.

(Note that this is a quick second play of scenario 1 just to verify the 20%. I didn't care for my units and experimented with WCs.)

Edit:
Attached screenshot scenario 1, victory screen (carry over percentage=20%)
AtS 0.1.1, Wesnoth 1.5.9, Mac OS X 10.5.6

This seems to happen only with scenario 1.
Attachments
Bild 1.jpg
AtS-1-The_Skirmish-Auto-Save11.gz
(48.66 KiB) Downloaded 708 times
Last edited by Theron on February 7th, 2009, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I just realized what the problem is: if you kill the leader by normal means, the event that takes care of the gold carryover mechanism isn't triggered.

EDIT: because the enemy leader's death event is overriding the enemies_defeated event handler. Duuh. :(
docrock

Post by docrock »

played 0.1.1 on default difficulty, agree with theron very nice so far. i just do not think the 4th scenario is too hard. was pretty well playable with lvl2s and lvl1s which were very close to levelling on scenario start, levelled them with the first wave, took out the leader straight north and everything was set.
if you kill the leader by normal means
ahemm, are there other means? did i miss on something?
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

:debug -> context menu on the enemy leader -> create unit -> anything.

The leader will disappear and next time you move a unit or end your turn, you'll win the 40% bonus. I'll upload a possible workaround this Sunday or Monday.
Iris
Site Administrator

After the Storm 0.1.2

Post by Iris »

Uploaded version 0.1.2 to the usual locations.

It fixes the gold carryover bug in scenario 1 (silly mistake :oops:) and includes a completed but probably unbalanced scenario 4.
lu_zero

Re: After the Storm (0.1.2) for Wesnoth 1.5.9+

Post by lu_zero »

would be possible having alternate amlas for the heroes?
Thorlis

Post by Thorlis »

Hi! I had a question about Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm; specifically, a plot question.

I’m currently writing the plot for a Wesnoth campaign set after the Fall, and in my eyes, I see IftU as canon, and I’d like my campaign to fit, plot wise. So, my question is this; what is the state of all of the different factions by the end of After the Storm? What is the state of the Iron Triad, the remaining Shaxthal, the chaos forces, the Aragwaithi, the Steppe Orcs, the Quenoth Elves, the elves from IftU, and any other characters, bad guys, and forces I may be missing? I’d like to know which of those are still a danger, which may have turned to good/evil, and which of them are dead and gone. What about, for that matter, Galas’ crew?

If you could answer these questions for me, it would help me immensely!

-- Thorlis --
sridhar

Post by sridhar »

Hey Shadow Master,
Played your demo release. I just loved. The first scenario environment is so beautiful. Btw., Is there anyother way that you'll include Paladins?
Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Sridhar
Kelben

Post by Kelben »

Edit 2: No, right post... Looking for trying it... :)
-WAR- Wesnoth Allied Rebels
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

sridhar wrote:Hey Shadow Master,
Played your demo release. I just loved. The first scenario environment is so beautiful. Btw., Is there anyother way that you'll include Paladins?
I honestly have no idea what Paladins have to do with this campaign, or the world of Irdya after the Fall, for that matter. Could you elaborate a bit?

Also, an announcement:

Due to time constraints, I may not be able to publish a newer release of this campaign for a long while. I planned to rewrite some dialogues in the first few scenarios and do a minimalistic change to the plot (the overall plot remaining pretty stable, for those of you who have read the storyboard which I won't link to from here). There are also a lot of art issues that affect both this and IftU, which need to be solved before I publish another release of either.

If you intended to volunteer to help with coding/writing, I'm sorry to say it'd be a waste of both your time and mine since I cannot transfer my creativeness to third parties as I do with regular files.

Since I expected this situation, I did not reupload the 0.1.2 release when the 1.5.x server was cleared a few months ago. It can still be obtained through SourceForge.net, but it may not work properly with Wesnoth 1.6.x, and won't work at all with 1.7.0. And its current scenarios are boring like hell.
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: After the Storm (0.1.99.0a) for Wesnoth 1.7.8+ ONLY

Post by Iris »

Version 0.1.99.0a is out!

This is the first AtS release for a long time, yet I don't have much to offer. Unfortunately, things have not improved as I hoped and I've had little time, concentration and inspiration for working on AtS and IftU, especially due to the ongoing work to keep the latter up to date. This situtation should now start to improve as AtS' development now has greater priority than IftU's maintenance (blog post). You can help too by applying for helping maintain IftU!

This version has a completely rewritten scenario 3 that, although possibly difficult, should be less frustrating as it is just a survival and later scenarios do not heavily depend upon its outcome (in terms of gold pieces). Scenarios 1 to 3 are fully playable and scenario 4 should work too, although it may be unbalanced as it hasn't been checked after the changes in the 3rd scenario.

Consider this release akin to a demo or teaser, and not a production version of this campaign. If everything goes well, the next release may have more scenarios and more interesting changes for those who try the demo!

At this time v0.1.99.0a is only available from SF.net. It will be available on the 1.7.8-1.8.x add-ons server once the mainline game version 1.7.8 is released (soon). If you are using the latest mainline game version from the SVN trunk, then you can already get AtS from the add-ons server. Despite this, it should work on 1.7.7 without any major problems.

Special thanks to Espreon and Aethaeryn.
Last edited by Iris on November 10th, 2009, 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Mention 1.7.7 compatibility.
13arrage

Re: After the Storm (0.1.99.0a) for Wesnoth 1.7.8+ ONLY

Post by 13arrage »

Okay, downloaded it on 1.7.8 from the add-on server. First two scenarios worked just fine, but it can't load the third because of a missing unit error. One 'invisible dummy.' Now, my WML is garbage, but there IS no invisible dummy unit mentioned in the code for the third scenerio, nor in the units folder. Sounds like it's a placeholder unit, and I'll admit that I didn't look too closely for it anywhere else, but...Help?