War and Tension

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

War and Tension

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Just a couple new tracks that I've had laying around for a little while:

Tension

I created this one about 2 months ago, and now that the general consenus is that frantic.ogg needs to be replaced, this seems to me like something along the lines of a frantic track, although personally I am not entirely pleased with it. I only worked about 8 hours on it and I think it's actually quite an amatuer composition. It feels too predictable to me, but if you think it is appopriate for any in-game scenarios cool, if not, don't worry I won't take ANY offense to scrapping it. There is one major change I want to make to it, I believe I wrote it in C minor, than transposed the entire piano roll up a half step to step away from the C minor bandwagon that I always get myself into, but after listening to it I want to change it back. C minor just fits this piece. Other than that, and maybe taking down the velocities of 2 violin notes, I don't feel like investing a WHOLE lot of time into this one.

And then we also have:

War

This one I wrote around the same time (I believe it's in C minor as well :mrgreen: ) and I pictured it just as a loop during storyline sequences, not as game play music. Since it's short, it wouldn't work well in situations where it wasn't the only song on the playlist and it wasn't being looped. Again, I haven't worked on this one in a while and I most likely won't invest a lot of time into changing it, but I'm definitely open to suggestions if it is well accepted by the Wesnoth Musicians :D .

I've noticed that in the past, when I come back to a piece of music to try to make it better, it always comes out worse.

-Tyler
CheeseLord

Re: War and Tension

Post by CheeseLord »

Right....comments:

Although it needs work, Tension is actually a fairly decent piece. True, it seems a bit predictable, and true, it doesn't really have that *epic* feel, but hey, nothing wrong with that IMHO. The lower registers probably need a bit of beefing up for the more epic/slightly dark feel.

Aside from the technical, harmonic etc. aspects of the piece, I would raise the subject of changing the buildup which starts from 0:15 to 0:40. If you compare this section to The Dangerous Symphony introduction (mainlined): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mgUC-AYZ30 you can probably see the similar chord progression between 0:14 and 0:21 in Tension and 0:00 and 0:11 in the Dangerous Symphony. It would be a really nice use of lietmotif if you continue the note progression of the Dangerous Symphony up to 0:20 for the latter part of the buildup in Tension.

Hmmm.....that was a load of waffle. Basically, In think it'd be better if you imitated the first 20 seconds of the Dangerous Symphony in the Buildup from 0:15 in Tension.

I'll hopefully comment on War later, gotta go now :)
Lord of Cheese.....especially Parmesan!!!
None shall stand against the Dwarfs in their homeland

Top 3 quotes by a developer:

1. Locked
2. Do it yourself
3. "No"
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Actually this topic is moot. I just received a huge upgrade in my setup, so I wouldn't want these to go in anyway. Perhaps I'll post something when I figure out how to use all these new toys! :D

-Tyler
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Tyler Johnson wrote:Actually this topic is moot. I just received a huge upgrade in my setup, so I wouldn't want these to go in anyway. Perhaps I'll post something when I figure out how to use all these new toys! :D

-Tyler
VSL?
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Negative, but that's next on my list. They have a great deal going on right now until the end of Nov. for €190 you get 9 GB of VSL sounds. Or I'm thinking of getting the Special Edition package as well.

I just acquired Stormdrum 1, RA and coming in the mail nex week are SO Gold, SD2 and Goliath from EWQL.

I got to play around with VSL sounds a couple days ago and after hearing them, I don't even know if I want to use EW orchestra's anymore. I might use a couple of sounds, but it's low on the list. I might just hold out writing any orchestral music until I get VSL. I might change my mind when SO Gold comes though, as I've heard a lot of things I like come from the Library.
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Tyler Johnson wrote:I got to play around with VSL sounds a couple days ago and after hearing them, I don't even know if I want to use EW orchestra's anymore.
He he he he heeeeeeee........ :D