1v1 multiplayer map

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Hellrider

Re: 1v1 multiplayer map

Post by Hellrider »

Your critics are reasonable. Indeed, even if the map looks better without impassable, the normal terrain 'modified' is not easily recognizable as the former..
I tried adding chasm or lava which sadly look uglier than when i see myself in the mirror in the morning :P

I guess the solution is not to play this map right before/after Hagbart's ;)
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

hahaha !!! no no dont use lava or something that doesnt suit to ur map.

and im not saying u should replace all impassable peaks by something else everybody will be confused about.

its just this:

im a very welcoming player concerning new ideas and unusual techniques, so introducing inpassable grasland with inpassable forest would be a very appealing idea to me.

Q did it once and it instantly revolutionized the gameplay experience, and if u saw his map (i have it saved on another computer) u would certainly agree.

my suggestion:

either introduce some terrain that is really different in color from the terrain usually used and make it inpassable in the middle, and on the edges of the map use the normal impassable peaks. deal ?
Hellrider

Post by Hellrider »

i guess that whatever you use to make it distinguishable from the rest of the terrain (sand, deep water, lava, chasm, cave..) it just won't fit with the rest of the map..

If normal grassland or hills or forest plus impassable doesn't work because it confuses the players i'd rather have some boring impassable mountains..
Appearance is important to me but should not prevail on gameplay or usability :(
tsr

Post by tsr »

Hi,

How about creating a cloudy-overlay-terrain that makes any terrain under it impassable? So taking the clouds out of the mountains and whenever you need an impassable terrain you just add the clouds.

/tsr
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

tsr wrote:Hi,

How about creating a cloudy-overlay-terrain that makes any terrain under it impassable? So taking the clouds out of the mountains and whenever you need an impassable terrain you just add the clouds.

/tsr
Good idea. The invisible impassable overlay is useful, but it's too annoying to be used outside of special scenarios or niche roles. A visible impassable overlay that people could always recognize would be a godsend. I'm surprised that never came up in this thread.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

hi!

ive played ur map against sidzej but had to go after some time so its still opened who will win the game.

here is the replay. its a highly defensive map that u created - i still have to somehow manage to overwhelm elves with dwarves here. my plan is to leave the southern side as it is and only continue to recruit in the far northern edge of the map. like that, i hope to build up enough pressure to overwhelm the (not so ) few elves. im still waiting for you to change the terrain in the middle quickly to one style.

when i see him around i will tell u how it ended.
Attachments
Eigene_Karte_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
unfinished
(17.96 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
Hellrider

Post by Hellrider »

The terrain in the middle was changed to impassable grassland/hills but it was reverted because more than one person noticed it was hard (at first sight) to recognize where units could effectively move (since keeps are pretty "close"). So for now it will remain impassable mountains.

I'm also interested in the replay of the your game against sidzej (2nd part too). Both for balancing changes and in case i submit this map for the upcoming map contest (i am not sure i have time to look into map .cfgs). :wink:

Edit: i just noticed in the replay that you played the map in an "older" revision. I suggest you try it now since it's probably less defensive ;)
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Yo, post this in the map tournament thread. ;)
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme