DEFENSE (and AIKIDO ability)

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
Enchanteur

DEFENSE (and AIKIDO ability)

Post by Enchanteur »

Hi !
like you see, i've the beginner's entousiasm !! :D

I ve some questions about "defense" because i didnt see something in the wiki about modify defense.
i've see a tag [defence] in an era.
Can I make an ability with this tag ?
Example :

Code: Select all

#define ABILITY_DODGE 
[defence]
add 10
[/defence]
#enddef
add 10 to all defenses on all lands for this unit ?

Other case : I've the idea to make an "Aikido" defensive hability.
What it does : more damage the attackant could done = more defense for aikidoka.

How to make this : an ability, and a event "attacks" with the filter ability aikido on second unit.. it s ok for this now, i know how to do that.

But the crucial operation, i don't know.

can i do this ? :

{VARIABLE_OP unit.chance_to_hit add -$unit.damage.value}
or this ? :

{VARIABLE_OP second_unit.defence add $unit.damage.value}
(unit is the attacker, and second_unit is the defenser with aikido)
French Player. For now, I'm working on creation of abilitys and units with WML. My goal is to make an enhanced version of Elves, playable with standard campains. HERE : http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 58&start=0
StDrake

Re: DEFENSE (and AIKIDO ability)

Post by StDrake »

first of as you already noticed the game spells it "defense" not "defence" so keep that in mind when writing code
you might try using [defense] tags but if it's not in the wiki it's likely not to work (i think it might be though), i had to alter that with the VARIABLE_OP in an event. I also had to alter each terrain defence separately, couldn't do just unit.defense - had to do unit.defense_flat, unit.defense_forest etc.
Also note that the defence in variables are stores in 100opposite fashion (100 minus what you see as defense) so if you want to raise it, you'll actually have to subtract from it.
If you want to play with chance to hit in events you'll have to experiment, i didn't see any playing around with that in events.
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Enchanteur

Post by Enchanteur »

StDrake wrote:first of as you already noticed the game spells it "defense" not "defence" so keep that in mind when writing code
you might try using [defense] tags but if it's not in the wiki it's likely not to work (i think it might be though), i had to alter that with the VARIABLE_OP in an event. I also had to alter each terrain defence separately, couldn't do just unit.defense - had to do unit.defense_flat, unit.defense_forest etc.
Also note that the defence in variables are stores in 100opposite fashion (100 minus what you see as defense) so if you want to raise it, you'll actually have to subtract from it.
If you want to play with chance to hit in events you'll have to experiment, i didn't see any playing around with that in events.
Ok.
I've see you had made a TRAIT for the felin era (at night felin get +10 chance to hit, and +10 defense). I didnt find what unit use it. or i dont have the last version of your era (and dont know where to get it).
If i remember well, you made a tag "defence" ? i didnt found the .cfg file where you altered all land type defense.
It's a good idea to made a TRAIT for that.

If i understood well the model object is made on the tags, and key is the final word.

example :
tag Unit have tag Abilities
Tag Abilities have some tag An_Ability
tag An_Ability have keys (value key for example)

So to access a value :
$unit.abilities.an_ability.value

I find use this more intuitive than tags because i develop more in Vb or Java than in Html ou Xml.

And it's the same for all other stuff of the wml objects.
So, if i find where is the tag "chance_to_hit" in this objects-model, i can modify it. and for that i must read wiki to see for each tag, what are the others tags or key, and access to values with the model object.

when event "attack" trigger, then i can modifiy value of "chance_to_hit" before the strike.
French Player. For now, I'm working on creation of abilitys and units with WML. My goal is to make an enhanced version of Elves, playable with standard campains. HERE : http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 58&start=0
tsr

Post by tsr »

Hm, I would like the Aikido-ish ability to only give extra strength to the defender when the attacker misses and maybe even reduced strength when the attacker hits.

Otoh, I am not the coder nor the designer nd it might be somewhat un-KISS.

/tsr
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

urgh the trait ive made is a bad thing to base on, it doesn't work in fact. I'd rather propose looking into ability_events.cfg and browse through the handler for knockdown
i must thank you at this point for a reason to look into that train again and maybe fix it :D

and the latest published version is of course on the addon server
Last edited by StDrake on October 9th, 2009, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Enchanteur

Post by Enchanteur »

tsr wrote:Hm, I would like the Aikido-ish ability to only give extra strength to the defender when the attacker misses and maybe even reduced strength when the attacker hits.

Otoh, I am not the coder nor the designer nd it might be somewhat un-KISS.

/tsr
Hi, there is a event about missing attack, but i dont know how to alter next defensive attack of defender, because I don't know to keep value of a variable between 2 events, or 2 differents moments of the game. It's possible that there is a way to change damages of defender for a duration (until end of turn for example), but I'm not enough experimented to be sure.

I have another idea that i could do, and will do :

Whenever attacker misses, One attack is removed of his strikes number. It can be done to add an attack to the defender instead, too.
Enchanteur

Post by Enchanteur »

StDrake wrote:urgh the trait ive made is a bad thing to base on, it doesn't work in fact. I'd rather propose looking into ability_events.cfg and browse through the handler for knockdown
i must thank you at this point for a reason to look into that train again and maybe fix it :D

and the latest published version is of course on the addon server
ok I will, and i will try to make some stuff that alter defense on a land, or alter chance_to_hit, by myself or reading other era.
There is some events you made i understand not at all, and very complex. But it seems WML can be use to made functions, iterations, conditions, like other langages, but it s so hard to know how and debug.

Each time i have to shut down the game, and launch it again. Is there a way to apply .cfg change without reload all ?
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

Hi, there is a event about missing attack, but i dont know how to alter next defensive attack of defender, because I don't know to keep value of a variable between 2 events, or 2 differents moments of the game. It's possible that there is a way to change damages of defender for a duration (until end of turn for example), but I'm not enough experimented to be sure.

I have another idea that i could do, and will do :

Whenever attacker misses, One attack is removed of his strikes number. It can be done to add an attack to the defender instead, too.
you can add a variable (simply attempt to set it, it appears one will be created if it doesnt exist during an attempt to alter) to remember what happens, probably a variable on the aikido unit rather than a global one, then make a procedure that restores state before your trigger when an event comes that marks when the altered state should end. That's how all statuses work.
it's quite possible that this could be done without events also, by experimenting with my 'hunt the weak' ability ive discovered that attack stats can change in a single combat inbetween strikes (the ability kicked in when its requirements got fulfilled as a result of the first hit, and the following already came in altered)
Enchanteur

Post by Enchanteur »

Here :
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/DirectActionsWML

[object]: gives some unit an object and removes all items on the tile the unit is on.

* id: (Optional) when the object is picked up, a flag is set for id. The object cannot be picked up if a flag for id has been set. This means that any object with an id can only be used once, even if first_time_only=no is set for the event. This restriction is per level. In a campaign objects with the same id can be assigned once per level.
* [effect]: one or more effect elements may be listed. See EffectWML for a description of [effect].
* duration: if 'level', effects only last until the end of the level (note : 'level' is the scenario, so this doesn't mean it last until the unit levels-up).

It s not say what is the default duration.
apparently it can be
duration=level
or
duration=3 (=3 turns ?)

what can be duration = until end of this fight ?..
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Enchanteur wrote: * duration: if 'level', effects only last until the end of the level (note : 'level' is the scenario, so this doesn't mean it last until the unit levels-up).

It s not say what is the default duration.
apparently it can be
duration=level
or
duration=3 (=3 turns ?)

what can be duration = until end of this fight ?..
If you don't specify duration=level, the object will last forever (I think you can also explicitly state duration=forever if you want, for clarity's sake). There's no other valid values for it.
Enchanteur

Post by Enchanteur »

HELLO !

last time, I was thinking about temporary change the chance to hit or to be hit with malus/bonus.
Not the same that marksman that give a fixed chance_to_hit.

I endend to found the solution, and it's realy easy to do.

It don't must to be do with TRAIT or ABILITY.
It must to be do with WEAPON_SPECIAL !

Like this :

1 - INCREASE the CHANCE TO HIT :

#define WEAPON_SPECIAL_ADROIT VALUE
		[chance_to_hit]
			id=adroit
			name= _ "Adresse "+{VALUE}
			description= _ "Adresse:
Cette attaque a "+{VALUE}"+% de chance en plus de toucher."
			add={VALUE}
			cumulative=yes
			apply_to=self
		[/chance_to_hit]
#enddef
2 - INCREASE the CHANCE TO DEFEND (in fact decrease chance_to_hit of opponent, it's near the same) :

#define WEAPON_SPECIAL_EVITER VALUE
		[chance_to_hit]
			id=eviter
			name= _ "Eviter "+{VALUE}
			description= _ "Eviter:
Cette manoeuvre donne "+{VALUE}+"% de chance en plus d'eviter une attaque."
			add=-{VALUE}
			cumulative=yes
			apply_to=opponent
		[/chance_to_hit]
#enddef
3 - DECREASE number of Strikes of opponent :

#define WEAPON_SPECIAL_ACROBATIE VALUE
		[attacks]
			id=acrobatie
			name= _ "Acrobatie "+{VALUE}
			description= _ "Acrobatie:
Cette manoeuvre retire "+{VALUE}+" coups a l'adversaire."
			add=-{VALUE}
			cumulative=yes
			apply_to=opponent
		[/attacks]
#enddef
Problem is now SOLVED.

ps: sorry for french langage in the descriptions, but my english is too bad. I will try to find someone that is ok to work with me and translate this in the future, when i will finished my "enhanced elves" faction.
Lyrax

Post by Lyrax »

How's this for a translation? My French is only so-so, but I'm confident it's good enough to tackle this.

[chance_to_hit]
id=adroit
name= _ "Adroitness "+{VALUE}
description= _ "Adroitness:
This attack adds "+{VALUE}"+% to the unit's chance to hit."
add={VALUE}
cumulative=yes
apply_to=self
[/chance_to_hit]
#enddef

#define WEAPON_SPECIAL_EVASION VALUE
[chance_to_hit]
id=evasion
name= _ "Evasion "+{VALUE}
description= _ "Evasion:
This maneuver adds "+{VALUE}+"% to the unit's chance to avoid attacks."
add=-{VALUE}
cumulative=yes
apply_to=opponent
[/chance_to_hit]
#enddef

#define WEAPON_SPECIAL_ACROBATIC VALUE
[attacks]
id=acrobatic
name= _ "Acrobatic "+{VALUE}
description= _ "Acrobatic:
This maneuver decreases the number of enemy attacks on the unit by "+{VALUE}+"."
add=-{VALUE}
cumulative=yes
apply_to=opponent
[/attacks]
#enddef
Enchanteur

Post by Enchanteur »

Lyrax wrote:How's this for a translation? My French is only so-so, but I'm confident it's good enough to tackle this.

[chance_to_hit]
id=adroit
name= _ "Adroitness "+{VALUE}
description= _ "Adroitness:
This attack adds "+{VALUE}"+% to the unit's chance to hit."
add={VALUE}
cumulative=yes
apply_to=self
[/chance_to_hit]
#enddef

#define WEAPON_SPECIAL_EVASION VALUE
[chance_to_hit]
id=evasion
name= _ "Evasion "+{VALUE}
description= _ "Evasion:
This maneuver adds "+{VALUE}+"% to the unit's chance to avoid attacks."
add=-{VALUE}
cumulative=yes
apply_to=opponent
[/chance_to_hit]
#enddef

#define WEAPON_SPECIAL_ACROBATIC VALUE
[attacks]
id=acrobatic
name= _ "Acrobatic "+{VALUE}
description= _ "Acrobatic:
This maneuver decreases the number of enemy attacks on the unit by "+{VALUE}+"."
add=-{VALUE}
cumulative=yes
apply_to=opponent
[/attacks]
#enddef
GREAT !!!

here my list of new abilitys :
and what it make.
Are you ok to continue translation ? or everybody else ?
there is not only translation to do, it's also creative because there is storys to tell..

ability are distributed to appropriates units (growth ability to dryads, prietresse, etc..)
hunt to rangers evolutions. I can't give the exact list for now, but it's all logical. I willnt give "Maestria" to a druid because it's a fighting ability.

When "0", it's because it's a param VALUE so 0 can be number you want.
So description must be like this :
(put VALUE in the sentence)

+++ means it need a largest description because it 's a storytelling ability that add flavour to the game.
---> mean translation is done.
---> suggestion ? means i suppose it's the good word translation isnt done yet

ABILITY_SOINS_MINEURS 0 ---> Heal Minor ?
heal others only, regain VALUE hp

ABILITY_SOINS_MOYENS 0
heal others and slow poison, regain VALUE hp

ABILITY_SOINS_MAJEURS 0
heal others and cure poison, regain VALUE hp

ABILITY_PROTECTION_ARBORICOLE 0 +++
add resistance +VALUE to all, to allies if they are in forest land
tell story that give protection in the forest and why

ABILITY_ARMURE 0 ----> Armor ?
add resistance VALUE against blade, pierce, impact

ABILITY_RECUPERATION 0
regeneration without remove poison, regain VALUE hp at begining of turn

ABILITY_RECUPERATION_ARBORICOLE 0 +++
regeneration without remove poison and only in forest land. regain VALUE hp at begining of turn
tell story that elves have everything helping us to survive in forest, food, medicinals with plants..

ABILITY_GRIMPETTE +++
Skirmisher but only in forest land (climb in the trees)
tell story that elves climb in trees and are out of control in forest

ABILITY_RONCES 0 +++
at beginning of turn, make VALUE damage to adjacents enemys if in forest (because plants grows and are epineous).
(negative heal, ennemy dont go below 1)
story about accelerated growth

ABILITY_RAMIFICATIONS 0 +++
like illumination without loyalty or chaotic but with "nature".
sort of negative leadership for enemys
if enemy are in forest , have malus -VALUE%
story about rampant growth again

ABILITY_LUXURIANCE +++
give ambush to all near allies because dense foliage
Dryad. story about grows

ABILITY_PLANTATION +++
each move , this unit create a forest on lands that arent specials (no castle no village no mountains, no water)
story about power of dryad or nature prietress making rapidly grow trees

ABILITY_NOURRITURE 0 +++
each time this unit kill unit, it gain VALUE hp.
Elvish Hunter ability. story about hunter eating prey (result of the hunting)

ABILITY_WOODELEMENTAL UNIT_TYPE +++ --->ANCIENTS_ANGER ????
each time allied unit is killed on forest, wose is created and forest removed (transformed in grassland)
create UNIT_TYPE creature (only woses for now, and natures elementals in future -> see magic the gathering style)
story about "anger of the ancients", when earth drink blood of natures adepts, force of nature wake up and venge the deads etc..

ABILITY_WOODWORK 0 +++
at beginning of turn , generate VALUE gold if is on a forest

ABILITY_TUTEUR 0 ++
increase XP gains of allied units by VALUE
story about elves weapons master that give lessons to recruits

ABILITY_VITALITE 0
at start of turn, gain VALUE Hp. cumulative with heal or regeneration.

ABILITY_VITALITE_ARBORICOLE 0 +++
at start of turn, gain VALUE Hp only in forest. cumulative with heal or regeneration.
story about vitality increased in forest and why

ABILITY_VITALISATION 0
The same of VITALITE but now, it's a healer like that provide HP gain to allied

ABILITY_VITALISATION_ARBORICOLE 0 +++
The same of VITALITE_ARBORICOLE but now, it's a healer like that provide HP gain to allied

ABILITY_RICHESSE 0 +++
Each time unit kill unit, it gain gold = XP * VALUE.
It's like a "treasure" found on body-> it s not roberry, target unit will probably be "noble"

-----------------
(((
WEAPON_SPECIAL_MAESTRIA 0
like markman but with param VALUE. (and for all type of weapons)

WEAPON_SPECIAL_HABILITE 0
only offense

WEAPON_SPECIAL_FEINTE 0
only defense

WEAPON_SPECIAL_MAGIE 0
like magical but with param VALUE.

WEAPON_SPECIAL_MYSTIQUE 0
like magical but with param VALUE and only offense.

WEAPON_SPECIAL_PSYCHIQUE 0
like magical but with param VALUE and only defense.
)))
---> Eventualy, it can be better to make only ONE ability like this !
WEAPON_SPECIAL_MYSTIC_ATT
WEAPON_SPECIAL_MYSTIC_DEF
and
WEAPON_SPECIAL_MAESTRIA_ATT
WEAPON_SPECIAL_MAESTRIA_DEF
more clear to read and remember when coding
when add ability that make both def and att, just write both in unit wml
----------------------

WEAPON_SPECIAL_DOUBLEATTACK_DEF
number of attack * 2, only defense (it s because there is a unit with offensive attacks * 2, so strike are divised by 2, i have to do doubleattack in defense to egalize)

WEAPON_SPECIAL_ADROIT 0 ---> Adroitness
WEAPON_SPECIAL_EVITER 0 ---> Evasion
WEAPON_SPECIAL_ACROBATIE 0 ---> Acrobatic

WEAPON_SPECIAL_RETRAITE 0 --> Retrait ??
decrease by VALUE number of attack of both attacker and defender

WEAPON_SPECIAL_BOUCLIER 0 ---> Shield ?
add -VALUE to dommage taken

------------------------------------------
MORE DETAILS, SEE THE CODE OF THIS (some descriptions are quickly done in french sometime) :
------------------------------------------
Spoiler:
Lyrax

Post by Lyrax »

Sure, I can translate for you! What good is knowing English if I can't? ;-)

ABILITY_HEALING_MINOR 0
heal others only, regain VALUE hp

ABILITY_HEALING_LESSER 0
heal others and slow poison, regain VALUE hp

ABILITY_HEALING_MAJOR 0
heal others and cure poison, regain VALUE hp

ABILITY_PROTECTION_FOREST 0
add resistance +VALUE to all allies if they are in a forest
(Not exactly sure what this is supposed to do/represent, or if I have it right)

ABILITY_ARMORED 0
add resistance VALUE against blade, pierce, impact

ABILITY_RECUPERATION 0
Unit regains VALUE hp at begining of turn, but will not cure poison without the help of a village or a unit with the 'cure' ability.

ABILITY_FOREST_RECUPERATION 0
regeneration without remove poison and only in forest land. regain VALUE hp at begining of turn
Elves are especially adept at caring for their own wounds when they are in forest lands, as they are familiar with all the herbs that ease pain and promote healing.

ABILITY_TREE_CLIMBER
Skirmisher when in forest(climb in the trees)
Elves are always known to be most deadly in the forest, and human tales abound concerning elves who have the ability to fight even while climbing, or as they more frequently say, leaping from tree to tree. This may be a slight exaggeration, but there is no doubting the forest mastery of the sylvan lords.

ABILITY_THORNS 0
at beginning of turn, make VALUE damage to adjacents enemys if in forest (because plants grows and are spiny).
(negative heal, ennemy dont go below 1)
Thorns, trees, ferns and even grasses grow at prodigious rates around these creatures. While in most cases this is little more than an inconvenience, it can be a true menace in the forest. There, the CREATURE encounters a sufficient mass of plant life that it will harm his opponents at every turn. While the damage from this growth is never lethal, it weakens those who would oppose the might of the forest, and primes them for the final blow.

ABILITY_HEDGE 0
sort of negative leadership for enemies
if enemy are in forest , have malus -VALUE%
The wild, unchecked growth of plant life around these creatures will hedge up the way of their enemies, making it harder for them to harm nature's servants.

ABILITY_HIDING
Give ambush to all near allies because dense foliage
Although a dryad in a forest may appear to be solitary or lonely, the fact of the matter is that they are rarely unattended, though they are masters at hiding their cohorts with the thick vegetation of forest life. When you see a lone dryad, it's only because you haven't yet seen who she is hiding.

ABILITY_PLANTATION
Each move , this unit create a forest on lands that are not special (no castle no village no mountains, no water)
There are creatures so incredibly attuned to nature that the earth cannot help but lavish them with gifts of great trees and thick undergrowth. Forests sprout in days where they would normally require decades to grow, which is a great boon to all the elves that follow.

ABILITY_FOOD 0
Each time this unit kills a unit, it gains VALUE hp.
While the eating habits of elvish hunters may seem barbaric to some, no kill is wasted and the hunter gains greater strength from consuming his enemies. It is the way of nature, and of the forest.

ABILITY_WOOD_ELEMENTAL UNIT_TYPE
Each time allied unit is killed on forest, wose is created and forest removed (transformed in grassland)
Creates UNIT_TYPE creature (only woses for now, and natures elementals in future -> see magic the gathering style)
The blood of nature's servants is a terrible thing for a forest to behold, and in the presence of some magic it is enough to make the trees rise up in anger against those who would defile it.

ABILITY_WOODWORK 0
At beginning of turn , generates VALUE gold if is on a forest

ABILITY_TUTOR 0
Increase XP gains of allied units by VALUE
Elvish weapon masters are sufficiently skilled that they turn their talents to overseeing the learning of their brethren. Under their tutelage, an aspiring young warrior will grow to greatness in a relatively short period of time.

ABILITY_VITALITY 0
At start of turn, gain VALUE Hp. Cumulative with heal or regeneration.

ABILITY_WOODLAND_VITALITY 0
at start of turn, gain VALUE Hp only in forest. cumulative with heal or regeneration.

story about vitality increased in forest and why

ABILITY_REFRESH 0
The same of VITALITE but now, it's a healer like that provide HP gain to allied

ABILITY_FOREST_REFRESH 0
The same of VITALITE_ARBORICOLE but now, it's a healer like that provide HP gain to allied

ABILITY_RICHES 0
Each time unit kills a unit, it gain gold = XP * VALUE.
It's like a "treasure" found on body-> it s not robbery, target unit will probably be "noble"

-----------------
(((
WEAPON_SPECIAL_MASTERY 0
like marksman but with param VALUE. (and for all type of weapons)

WEAPON_SPECIAL_ABILITY 0
only offense

WEAPON_SPECIAL_FEINT 0
only defense

WEAPON_SPECIAL_MAGIC 0
like magical but with param VALUE.

WEAPON_SPECIAL_MYSTIC 0
like magical but with param VALUE and only offense.

WEAPON_SPECIAL_PSYCHIC 0
like magical but with param VALUE and only defense.
)))

WEAPON_SPECIAL_MYSTIC_ATT
WEAPON_SPECIAL_MYSTIC_DEF
and
WEAPON_SPECIAL_MASTERY_ATT
WEAPON_SPECIAL_MASTERY_DEF
more clear to read and remember when coding
when add ability that make both def and att, just write both in unit wml
----------------------

WEAPON_SPECIAL_DOUBLEATTACK_DEF
number of attack * 2, only defense (it s because there is a unit with offensive attacks * 2, so strike are divised by 2, i have to do doubleattack in defense to egalize)

WEAPON_SPECIAL_ADROIT 0 ---> Adroitness
WEAPON_SPECIAL_EVITER 0 ---> Evasion
WEAPON_SPECIAL_ACROBATIE 0 ---> Acrobatic

WEAPON_SPECIAL_RETRAITE 0 --> Retrait ?? --> Retreat? Unit retreats from battle
decrease by VALUE number of attack of both attacker and defender

WEAPON_SPECIAL_BOUCLIER 0 ---> Shield ? --> Shield.
Adds -VALUE to damage taken

Okay, this is better. Not perfect, but better.
Enchanteur

Post by Enchanteur »

Yours storys are excellents. It's was what I'm looking for !!
You are on the way !

I hurry up to end the units.
If you are agree to describe it too.......

There is a more story to tell in unit's description. And it's better to know these abilitys for a unit's writing. So you are perfect candidate now you know a little these ability !! :mrgreen: