Nagas or Merfolks?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

edgar55

Nagas or Merfolks?

Post by edgar55 »

Wich one of this minor factions is the best?

Merfolks are, in my opinion, the best.

Have anybody a different opinion?
"When the light came up, the real commanders came out"
- Glaedr95
Araja

Re: Nagas or Merfolks?

Post by Araja »

Well in mainline, the merfolk have melee units, with a branching lvl2, archers, with a slow branch, and magic-users, with battle and healing paths. So they're superior in variety, and the 7-3 attack of their basic melee (max 21) vs the 4-4 (max 16) of the naga equivalent, they still outshine the nagas. Granted the Nagas' are more comfortable on sand so individual they might match up, but once you look beyond the two fighters...

In other places though, there are Naga archers with poisoned attacks and unita with submerge, backed up by steadfast units and enormous level 4s, making it a much more interesting match up.
I like the idea of a big oceanic war between the 2 factions, it's a pity water scenarios are so difficult to make well.
edgar55

Post by edgar55 »

Great explanation Araja, thanks :wink: !
The idea of an oceanic battle is, as you said difficult to make. Maybe a middle-sized scenario, with some sand islands is possible to make for this situatiom.
I´ll try to create a pack of oceanic scenarios to upload as soon as possible.
- Glaedr95
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

there are other user made water factions (brungar/sea dwarves in era of the future but they're not done yet)

also, merman does 6-3 damage, 7-3 is only if it's strong (for what i remember, anyways). Naga are also faster, and mermen have no "scouts", so a naga faction would be better in a big/medium water map than mermen would be. naga are weak to cold, while mermen are resistant, which doesn't really matter in fish vs. fish, and doesn't really matter because most factions don't even have cold.

also, i think naga would deal more damage then mermen in practice, because mermen and naga both have 60% def in shallow water, so the extra strike would pay off there.
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

Naga also get a better movetype, especially on later levels, with decent defenses even on land. Merfolk are water-bound.

As for water scenarios: why not make a campaign where you play both naga AND merfolk on one side? That would be great.
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
mm_

Post by mm_ »

Nagas, being quick AND neutral, are usually a better faction in sea battles, to my opinion. quick withdrawing at day, and merfolk slaughter at night, make them a good faction on the water. and that extra strike does pay off, as it can mean 2 hits in open water and hit in riffs where merfolk often wont even hit once. :eng:
EDIT: Araja, I think the damage hardly makes any difference either, as 6-3 and 4-4 makes 2 difference in total, and if both are strong, 1 difference. ...damnit my calculator battery is empty! :D If you take the advantages listed above, i still think nagas are the beter choice.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Araja wrote: In other places though, there are Naga archers with poisoned attacks and unita with submerge, backed up by steadfast units and enormous level 4s, making it a much more interesting match up.
Lvl 4 nagas ?
in which era is this ?
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
edgar55

Post by edgar55 »

nagas haven't any healers or magicians... they are like a melee race, with some archers, like orcs for example.

merfolks are more mixed.
- Glaedr95
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Mabuse wrote:
Araja wrote: In other places though, there are Naga archers with poisoned attacks and unita with submerge, backed up by steadfast units and enormous level 4s, making it a much more interesting match up.
Lvl 4 nagas ?
in which era is this ?
He's probably referring to the Naga Abomination in the BEEM Steppe Orcs, which according to the online unit tree is only lvl 3.

And most the naga custom units look completely awful when contrasted with the new-style mermen/naga. A naga-fan really needs to re-draw/frankenstein them.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Araja

Post by Araja »

I think I got mine from an SX pack or GEB...But I'm sure they were 4.

Maybe I was wrong about the level but I'm sure they're not from the BEEM Steppe Orcs, I don't even know what those are.

And there seem to be two points of argument here:

1: Which race is better overall?
2: Which race is best for an MP match?

I was working on the 1st, but another seems to have crept in.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Araja wrote:I think I got mine from an SX pack or GEB...But I'm sure they were 4.

Maybe I was wrong about the level but I'm sure they're not from the BEEM Steppe Orcs, I don't even know what those are.
I'm talking about Image, which is listed as the (level 3) Naga Abomination in BEEM under the Steppe Orc faction (search for the phrase here). It's probably used elsewhere (I've seen it as an avatar on the forums), but that's the one I found and probably where it originated.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
mm_

Post by mm_ »

I've seen it in the "A New Land" era (negotiate with the nagas) and in other eras too, just i don't know what they were. I remember them as a similar unit too the lvl 3 clashers of the drakes (the ones with sword, spear and mace) with the same resictance, but well... they were water fighters, nd really awsome units.
mm_

Post by mm_ »

[quote="Araja"]
In other places though, there are Naga archers with poisoned attacks and unita with submerge, backed up by steadfast units and enormous level 4s, making it a much more interesting match up.

Nagas with submerge and steadfast? Where`s that?
Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

All this can be easily found in Ageless Era or in BEEM.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

Aethaeryn wrote: And most the naga custom units look completely awful when contrasted with the new-style mermen/naga. A naga-fan really needs to re-draw/frankenstein them.
i agree, basically all old naga graphics are completely useless.
they simply dont look good anymore beside the new nagas

im in need of some more fancy naga-artwork, for an SX level :D

of course i "frankensteined" something together for myself (nagas with spears and shields for example), but im always eager to see more

P.S:
ah yes, the abomination was meant (it is lvl 3 though, as Aethaeryn pointed out already) - i thought i overlooked something interesting :)
The best bet is your own, good Taste.