The Earth's Gut for BfW 1.16

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

chrisfellner

Re: Campaign: Dwarven Kingdom (6 scenarios)

Post by chrisfellner »

Hy@all,

Just finished Scenario 1-6 on wesnoth 1.73, excellent work :)
Looking forward to play the rest. 8)

chris
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Re: Campaign: Dwarven Kingdom (6 scenarios)

Post by Anonymissimus »

I've uploaded version 0.0.2 to the 1.6 add-ons server. 1.7 will no longer be supported until it'll become the next stable version somewhen. 1.7 branch is so incredibly buggy, I'm only creating wml workarounds for the engine bugs then.
The campaign is removed from the 1.7 server - I wanna thank for 632 downloads nevertheless :).

The travel dots are partly removed due to the BfW version change (since 1.6 seems to not yet support [variable] within [part]). I've only debugged through the campaign but everything should at least be playable now.

Added scenarios 7-10:
07_The_bridge_is_broken: Has become rather about 3 scenarios and a diverging campaign path all packed into one.
08_Lost: See above. Is now added since the scenario in between is finished.
09_Unusual_allies: A standard big battle; Dulatus defends with his troll allies their settlement against rivaling trolls and undead.
10_Old_friends: The heros reunite. Features the random underground map generator.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
docrock

Re: Campaign: Dwarven Kingdom (10 scenarios, 0.0.2 (BfW1.6.4))

Post by docrock »

hi, this time posting in the right thread. last post was due to me playing too many campaigns at the same time, again soz for that one.

playing on BfW 1.6.4, default difficulty.

so: first scenario, dialogue from Dulatus "quilty" should be "quality" me thinks.

introduction to second scenario: "the small group blinking stepped ..." should be changed to "the small group stepped blinkingly ...", would be more fluent imho

besides that: in the second scenario, finally somebody who describes the benefits of doing the one or the other thing in the objectives, thank you. scenario objectives, bonusses and carryover tend to be something people forget when creating scenarios and their descriptions. but yours are great so far, everything very clear and detailled.
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
stillcen

Post by stillcen »

The wording at the start of the "Break Through" scenario lead me to believe that the scenario would end if i Killed either leader or stepped in the go spot. The scenario only ended once i stepped in the go spot, killing the leaders was just bonus.

enjoying the campaign.

stillcen
docrock

Post by docrock »

"Breakthrough" looked like shooting fish in a barrel at first, but the high base income equalled that out, the orcs proved to be more resistance than expected, still a pretty easy scenario imho, maybe upping the orcs gold by 20 or 30 in the beginning might help to prolong things.
in "Up the mountain": "steal" should be "steel". and wow, that female assasin, that portrait, wootage, i just thought "what a shame to fight her", cooking for her and doing the candlelight-dinner-thingy would be much more cool (edit: though she might have to take that mask of hers down first, which might reveal some unpleasant surprises).
stillcen

Post by stillcen »

I found the scenario before 'Lost" to be really easy, the Lich only recruited 3 bats, then went splat to 3 level dwarven hammers.

In the Lost scenario the ruddy caged troll died before my dwarf could even get up there to help out, 5 spaces away and watched him die, Three times in a row i had to save scum, before the skel archer missed enough.

I really enjoy the no recruit, few unit, type scenarios.

stillcen
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

That small "Rescue the troll whelp" subscenario is a test if you can effectivly use Dulatus' steadfast ability and zone of control. ;)
I've tried it on hard for the first time, it works exactly the way I want it to. Of course you're required to arrive at optimum condition there: Dulatus and Pelcatlus at full health, Dulatus has the regeneration ring from scenario "Breakthrough" and is on level 3 (should be no problem by now). Proceed carefully, you're granted enough time to heal Pelcatlus in a village if neccessary.
In his first turn, Krolock fought the wc. On their first turn, the wc and the archer fought Krolock, wc died. There's a wraith in the eastern cavern, but his movement was removed during that turn, granting me another move to put Dulatus on the bottleneck so that the wraith couldn't reach the now severly wounded Krolock. Pelcatlus killed the archer, Dulatus was attacked for several turns by the wraith, but he was standing on a hill, had steadfast, level 3 and the regeneration ring which made him a fantastic defender, granting Pelcatlus enough time to heal in the nearby village. Krolock didn't sacrifice himself (I gave the ai enough instructions for that) but sat around until full health and attacked the wraith, but he died from Dulatus' counter damage then...
The scenario only ended once i stepped in the go spot, killing the leaders was just bonus.
There's a tested enemies defeated event, nothing wrong.
other stuff : fixed etc

Here are my current thoughts about the rest of the story of the campaign. Probably rather a collection and connection of story pieces from various campaigns. ;) I had the idea to connect it to the hammer of Thursagan since there is not yet anything told about how that artifact came from the caverns of flame to Kal Kartha. I still need a name for the mines reconquered by Hamel's party, should be Kal <something>.

Code: Select all

~200 YW:
-the hammer of thursagan is found for the first time by the dwarves of the old mines
-some of the dwarves don't understand its powers without Thursagan's book (see ThoT) and get corrupted
-friendship with Wesmere elves vanishes
-an ancient lich is unleashed from the deep earth because the corrupted dwarves were digging too greedily, the old mines become a haunted place; that lich is the final enemy then
-the rest of the dwarves flee, descendents are living at Kal Kartha in 515 YW
-the fate of the hammer remains unclear (so many dwarves think it went to Kal Kartha), but it stays with a corrupted lich-dwarf who joins the ancient Lich

515~518 YW
-after the currently last scenarios, the heros meet with Delfador and Kalenz having a conference in Wesmere (the one that decides that Konrad must find the sceptre)
-Kalenz tells the heros about the history of the old mines (since he had already been living at the time when the hammer (and the sceptre) had been lost)
-the heros save Konrad while he's traveling from Elensefar to Crossroads, get magi from him to fight the undead and advise him to ask Relgorn for help in order to find the sceptre
-it's the heros' task to recover the hammer from the corrupted dwarf-Lich, the ancient Lich is killed, the old mines are free from enemies again (so slight inconsistency to ThoT, the hammer is not found "centuries ago" but only decades ago...)
-the hammer of Thursagan goes to Karrag from Kal Kartha (your enemy from ThoT), because he is descendant of the old runesmiths and studies the runelore, but I rather don't want to integrate him too much in the campaign since there are already a lot of special characters, he probably will only appear in the epilog

~534 YW
-Karrag unfortunately gets corrupted by the hammer, too, since he doesn't have Thursagan's book that explains its powers (see campaign ThoT)
-as Relgorn retires, Hamel gives command of the old mines to someone of the other heros, becomes lord of Knalga and continues his efforts to find Thursagan's book (see campaigns ThoT and NR)
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

I got stuck on the scenario where you have to clear the caves with the elves on your team because the Elven Allies are weak and destroyed too quickly.
docrock

Post by docrock »

I got stuck on the scenario where you have to clear the caves with the elves on your team because the Elven Allies are weak and destroyed too quickly.
1) divide your forces into three teams, one for blocking the cave right next to your castle, one for taking out the orc and later on entering the middle entrance to the caves and one for clearing the trolls in the open
2) use the gryphon for taking all villages from your ally, he (the elf) is of no use anyways so who cares
3) keep a healer next to that suicidal tree hugger
4) over the course of time income will increase so that you can recall one or two units a turn. do it and overwhelm them with force.

edit: finally ran into a bug, in "The bridge is broken" after entering through the trapdoor some units get placed on lava hexes in a way rendering them unable to move

edit2: finally finished through all of the campaign, great work, it has been very entertaining, especially the last scenarios with our lost little midget.
stillcen

Post by stillcen »

Finished the campaign;

enjoyed it.

With a few tweeks and ballances it will be perfecto.

I might suggest that at the end, to say something about the campaign as a whole.

something like " blah blah blah.. with the new found ore deposits the dwarves were able to forge armour and weapons that were greatly needed in the comming years......"

stillcen
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

edit: finally ran into a bug, in "The bridge is broken" after entering through the trapdoor some units get placed on lava hexes in a way rendering them unable to move
You shouldn't need that much units so that you can still move them onto suitable terrain. But I have already written a "FIND_VACANT" macro that checks for terrain, it will be used in the next version. Note that, in reality, it'd be the game engines task to do that. find_vacant in [unstore_unit] obviously does not check whether the considered location has suitable terrain...

Thank you for playing. The campaign isn't finished by scenario 10, it's only the end of a story arc...
projects (BfW 1.12):
docrock

Post by docrock »

You shouldn't need that much units so that you can still move them onto suitable terrain.
lol, yeah i know. i don't remember the exact scenario where it started but somewhen through the campaign i heavily started to over-recall due to too much gold. which, of cause, was leading to even quicker finishing and even more gold, so i went with it and just did the overkill thing to the enemy, which actually might be kind of a balancing issue.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Well, then I should probably leave that bug untouched. It shrinks your recall list so you do no longer win that quickly... :lol2:
projects (BfW 1.12):
docrock

Post by docrock »

lol, but ... the units on the lava tiles don't die. that was the most interesting part about it, and because it was exactly that tree-hugger princess which ended up fondue i was finally forced to edit the save and get her out of her misery. i would not have cared for anyone else except the other relevant chars but this was kind of annoying especially as i spent several turns doing the ZoC-thing just to protect her from drakes until i finally decided to just plainly save-game-edit her out of her rather hot environment.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Re: Campaign: Dwarven Kingdom (14 scenarios, 0.0.2 (BfW1.6.4))

Post by Anonymissimus »

I've uploaded 0.0.3.
Savegames from scenarios 08_Lost to 10_Old_friends will most likely no longer work after updating since I've simplified the leader and recall list switch stuff.

most important player-visible changes:
06_The_great_gates: New map, the old one was simply too large. I spent too much time with moving when playing it.
4 new scenarios:
12_Under_pressure: I have no idea if it is too hard...survive against a generator. Generator scenarios tend to be hard since enemies are created continuously.
14_Forest_fire: Your task is to prevent a forest from burning down! That is, the forest really burns and changes to dirt!
And 2 story-only scenarios.
I've postponed the idea for the scenario with the attacking loyalists...
projects (BfW 1.12):