Non-Wesnoth works

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rain
Music Contributor

Re: Non-Wesnoth works

Post by Rain »

The one near the end of the piece was the one that really got me. I love it. It's an interesting instrument choice for the piece but it works well. It's subtle and inviting. Not sure you were going for that, but it works. Also, I'd love to borrow your guitar abilities at some point. You got a nice touch.

This is a semi recent piece. I've been analyzing a lot of Bach of late. His sense of form is impeccable.

This is just supposed to be a laid back home/village track.

http://www.allacrost.org/staff/user/rain/House.mp3
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Well, I dug up some old stuff I did when I first got cubase, I was messing around with the plugins that it came with and did some electronica/synth stuff:

http://www.tyler-johnson.net/electrode.mp3

http://www.tyler-johnson.net/transhipnotic.mp3

The samples aren't actually that bad, considering it was Cubase SX3, which is an outdated version (but I think the best one still).

-Tyler
Rain
Music Contributor

Post by Rain »

Yo dude. I really like those. I love the way the synths sound in electrode. They sound very much like sega genesis sound fonts.
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

I know this forum has been a bit slow lately so I thought I'd bring back the non-wesnoth works thread, see if you people are still around. Here's an excerpt of something I just submitted for a composition competition:

Composition Excerpt

The winner receives a Complete Composer's Collection of samples by EWQL which is a huge library. Something like 500GB, probably even more!
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Tyler, this music is GREAT! I love the mood! You've really progressed... i'm impressed! I hope you get the contest! Unfortunately, the jury is very Hollywood oriented, alias HANS ZIMMER [censored]... but, who knows? :wink:
PPH

Post by PPH »

It's very good, but I didn't like the ending so much (I know, I know... I have a thing with endings). I probably would have added a final section, similar to the beginning in volume and orchestration. But that's a matter of taste, I guess.

The beginning is great. It reminded me of the soundtracks of the first Batman movies.
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Thanks Aleksi/PPH.

PPH, this is only an excerpt, it fades out at the end, but the submitted track for the contest could only be 2 minutes in length. I would have LOVED to extend this piece, and maybe I will, but unfortunately they have guidelines for submissions.

EDIT: Aleksi you're right about the competition. I don't know if you've ever entered this one, they do it every year, but it seems that the people who win are people who have the biggest collection and can create the biggest "hollywood" sounds. Unfortunately, with my puny little Silver PLAY library, I can't really compete with these guys who already have the complete composer's collection. I went in this thing not expecting to win, just tried my best, and that's all I can do I guess. Just wait for the results! And I've been listening to a lot of your music on my iPod, that's probably why you like the mood :D I usually subconsciously take inspiration from music I surround myself with.
PPH

Post by PPH »

Tyler Johnson wrote:Thanks Aleksi/PPH.

PPH, this is only an excerpt, it fades out at the end, but the submitted track for the contest could only be 2 minutes in length. I would have LOVED to extend this piece, and maybe I will, but unfortunately they have guidelines for submissions.

EDIT: Aleksi you're right about the competition. I don't know if you've ever entered this one, they do it every year, but it seems that the people who win are people who have the biggest collection and can create the biggest "hollywood" sounds. Unfortunately, with my puny little Silver PLAY library, I can't really compete with these guys who already have the complete composer's collection. I went in this thing not expecting to win, just tried my best, and that's all I can do I guess. Just wait for the results! And I've been listening to a lot of your music on my iPod, that's probably why you like the mood :D I usually subconsciously take inspiration from music I surround myself with.
Yes, I realized that later. Great work with the sample library, by the way. I know the competition; never took part in it, but I know it's difficult to win with Silver only.
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Tyler Johnson wrote:Thanks Aleksi/PPH.

Yeah, i recognized a couple things! ;)

But, yeah, i did the contest like 3 years ago and the winner had done something very sound-design-like. Not very interesting. Plus, they always have this guy that makes horrible videos you have to put music on. I remember the video i worked on was just hideous. I don't even know how you can post something like that. My attempts at 15 years old on Bryce where better... And everybody in the forum would post comments such as: "Wow great video", "Insane stuff, amazing", but all thinking "what a piece of s***, but i can't say out loud what i think, i won't win the contest!" :mrgreen:

Anyway, who knows, keep us posted! Fingers-crossed!
PPH

Post by PPH »

Ha, ha! I think I know the video you're talking about. I tried to take part in that contest. I even composed something, but didn't like the result much and didn't enter. Actually, the music wasn't bad, but it needed work to sound realistic and professional.
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Fortunately this time, there is no video. Judging by the thread about previous competitions, there were too many complaints about the "animations" that these people created, so they decided to just throw the idea away and just have an open "Write ANYTHING you want, 2 minutes in length, any EWQL library and send it in to us". I expect there should be around 1,500 - 1,700 entries since anyone can just grab the most interesting thing they've done with an EWQL library and submit it.
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Tyler Johnson wrote:I know this forum has been a bit slow lately so I thought I'd bring back the non-wesnoth works thread, see if you people are still around. Here's an excerpt of something I just submitted for a composition competition:

Composition Excerpt

The winner receives a Complete Composer's Collection of samples by EWQL which is a huge library. Something like 500GB, probably even more!
Is there any reason this can't be used in Wesnoth, maybe with a little bit of adaptation and extension? It's got pretty close to the right sound for moody subterranean levels and the like.
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Hi A-Red. Yeah I supposed it COULD be worked into the game, but I haven't touched it in maybe 2 weeks and have sort of lost interest in working on it more. Also, I haven't seen West around in a while either, he's the one who usually does all the music encoding and decision-making.

Right now I'm just practicing composing techniques, I really don't have a great library of samples, I just have a very basic version of something that I want the complete version of. So I'm holding out until I upgrade to do anything serious compositionally. I'm still figuring out how it all works :mrgreen:

I'm sure with a better library of samples, I could create something far superior to what I have submitted thus far. Also, I'm not entirely sure the game needs anymore music. I just submitted one called 'Into the Shadows' which has an underground feel. I know Aleksi has his underground piece. If it calls for it, or someone asks me personally to continue working on it, I'll do it. But for now, I'm going to wait until I can upgrade.

-Tyler
Tyler Johnson
Music Contributor

Post by Tyler Johnson »

Competition Update:

Well, I didn't win the competition, but I am not at all displeased with the results because the winners submitted some absolutely amazing tracks. And Aleksi was right about them only caring about who has the biggest 'Hollywood' sound. But that's EWQL for you ;)

The only thing I don't like about this competition is basically the winners will receive a prize they already own, but that's what EW wants to hear, the fattest sound using all of their library.

I went in using their smallest collection (SO Silver) and tried my best, hoping they would like the fact that I had nothing and was more deserving of the prize than someone who used the contents of the prize to enter into the contest...

Here are the 2 winners for the competition:

From Hell He Comes

And runner up:

Presto

I think both of these are great submissions and well deserved.
PPH

Post by PPH »

I remember one track that was absolutely great, but not "big sounding". It rather took fool advantage of the individual instruments.