Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Cloud
Art Contributor

Re: Chocobone (WIP)

Post by Cloud »

It's a helm of some sort, though I think it could do with a little differentiation between skull and metal.
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

thespaceinvader wrote:What's going on with the rider's head? It looks like he has mushrooms growing out of it...
It seems to me like a helmet with a weird shape.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

thespaceinvader wrote:What's going on with the rider's head? It looks like he has mushrooms growing out of it...
It seems to me like a helmet with a weird shape.
Yep.

http://spartanwarband.com/albums/reprod ... rest03.jpg
Except the crest is metal.

For the record, we're not editing this, we're moving ahead with animation. Let's not mince around, let's get this done already.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Here's my first attempt at the attack, and my first attempt at animation. Looks like there's a bit of jumping around with the shoulder garments that I'll have to clean up. How's the rest of it?

EDIT: cleaned up a lot of the jumping (including the error in the gif). Much better now.
Attachments
chocobonegif.gif
chocobonegif.gif (5.17 KiB) Viewed 3366 times
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

He seems to be using the spear to slash, not stab.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Zigg wrote:He seems to be using the spear to slash, not stab.
I'd assume he's lowering the spear to charge.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

Aethaeryn wrote:
Zigg wrote:He seems to be using the spear to slash, not stab.
I'd assume he's lowering the spear to charge.
I thought that too, up to the point where it stopped without the Chocobone running forward.
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Zigg wrote:
Aethaeryn wrote: I'd assume he's lowering the spear to charge.
I thought that too, up to the point where it stopped without the Chocobone running forward.
Movement into the opponent's hex is not part of the animation; it's handled by the engine. I'm assuming that with the sprite sliding forward, frozen on that second frame, it will look right.
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

A-Red wrote:Movement from hex to hex is not part of the animation; it's handled by the engine. I'm assuming that with the sprite sliding forward, frozen on that second frame, it will look right.
Oh, right.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

A-Red wrote:
Zigg wrote: I thought that too, up to the point where it stopped without the Chocobone running forward.
Movement into the opponent's hex is not part of the animation; it's handled by the engine. I'm assuming that with the sprite sliding forward, frozen on that second frame, it will look right.
Not quite.

Remember, wesnoth never attacks horizontally; it only attacks downwards and diagonally - and for making all of our animations, we officially neglect the northern hemisphere ( because the only 'right way' to handle that is to actually provide a full set of north-facing animations).

What you have is fine, but make a third frame where the spear is tilted down/diagonally.
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Here's the completed attack animation with the third frame.
Attachments
chocobonegif.gif
chocobonegif.gif (7.28 KiB) Viewed 3194 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I'd suggest making the step larger/more obvious, thrusting the spear more (two to three frames of the rider twisting to thrust) and putting in a motion blur - model this on the ones seen in the Drake Clasher line, which will serve as a model for future pierce attacks anyway =)

Otherwise, this looks great.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Are you sure he'd have to twist and thrust the spear? Since it's a charge attack, I imagine him using it like a lance--no thrust, just letting the momentum of the charge do the damage, which it seems to me would be much more effective than anything involving the strength of his arm thrusting. I think I need some convincing on that one, but the other crits are duly noted, and will be fixed. I'll be away most of the work week, but I'll get to them, and the block animation, whenever I can next weekend.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

2 points on that: you can still thrust with a lance, particlarly a light one like that. Second, whilst the attack is a charge, the animation isn't, it's a single step more or less - to make it look more powerful, some motion in the rider's body would look good =)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

thespaceinvader wrote:2 points on that: you can still thrust with a lance, particlarly a light one like that. Second, whilst the attack is a charge, the animation isn't, it's a single step more or less - to make it look more powerful, some motion in the rider's body would look good =)
Do what he said - we know that this will significantly improve the animation. It really gives it a lot more 'oomph'.