Wesnoth Tower Defense

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Wesnoth Tower Defense

Post by Velensk »

This is a thread for players to provide feedback on this add-on I created. Also here for people to report tech problems that they experience with the add-on.

The version on the server is merely a demo.

EDIT: to included instructions

To access game options right click on various things.

To place towers: right click on an empty hex that is not ford or cavewall and select the tower you wish. Towers will fight on their own.

If you right click on an tower, you will gain the options of either buying xp for it, or selling it for minor gold.

If you right click on your spearman, you will have the option to upgrade your various towers. Upgrades will cause your towers to start at a higher level.

About the towers
Basic towers (bladesmen, archers, and crushers) these towers are always cheap and for mazing they are the best. Archers get many strikes for relatively low damage, crushers get high damage and low strikes. Bladesmen get the least total damage, but get marksmen and later multistrike (which allows them to divide up their attack)

Ice towers: twice as expensive as basic towers and start with low damage. At low levels it causes slow. When you upgrade your ice towers they become much stronger and gain multistrike, then an ability which slows all adjacent enemies(edit).

Fire towers: slightly more expensive than ice towers. Deals fairly heavy damage with some damage to enemies adjacent to the target.

Stealth towers: 4x the cost of basic towers and low damage for its cost. These towers make up for it by having poison and specials. Their specials allow them to hide. The first enemy who steps next to them when they are hidden will instantly stop. As you level it up they will gain more impressive damage and will be able to hide under more conditions.
Last edited by Velensk on September 10th, 2009, 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
blue

Re: Wesnoth Tower Defense

Post by blue »

I tried to download this add-on but i get this error: "A problem occured when trying to create the files necessary to install this add-on"

Is there any other add-on i should install before i download this one or is it something else?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Others have reported this kind of problem to me, and the answer unfortunatly is I don't know. You should not need any other files to download this add-on however it seems to be causing problems. I did post a message in the technical support section about this, however nobody has replied to it.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Max

Post by Max »

20090911 04:37:38 error filesystem: io_exception thrown while installing an addon; "Could not open file for writing: "./userdata/data/campaigns/Tower_Defense/units/attackers/?.cfg'"
two files are missing afterwards in above folder: _.cfg & abilities.cfg. try to rename _.cfg.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

There is no files called _.cfg There is one called abilities .cfg I could rename that one. I suspect that the thing that it is calling _.cfg is actually ?.cfg

I'll try renaming both those files and re-uploading it. Please download it again soon to see if it works now.

EDIT: it seems to work, but I had to release another patch to fix the fact that the 'please enter the number of players' message was sent to all players not just the first player causing some error messages.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Finally got rid of the please enter number of players message.

Added a new tower, tweaked a few things.
Kagar

Post by Kagar »

I was playing a game and the game crashed upon upgrading an ice tower to level 4, giving an error about being unable to find the unit.

[EDIT: more specifically, about "no unit model"]
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

There is no ice tower 4. It should just AMLA. When I have some time I'll check into this.
Lucifer626

Post by Lucifer626 »

that is the piont i was in that game also i really enjoy this senerio so if u could fix fast that would be great
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Hopefully that should have fixed it. Please download it again and check.
siddh

Post by siddh »

I absolutely loved finishing this add-on! Great fun.

Anyway the units that display each "wave" in the west/left side of the screen affect AI's movement. So the NW SW enemies tend to flank West a LOT more than the NE/SE enemies East. ( or at least im guessing that's what's causing the weird tendency )
It might be possible to fix this by changing the units displaying each wave into petrified units for an example... Im not sure if it works, just an idea.

Also the Ice Caster is bugged, there's a typo in the unit file:
it says "advances_to: nul" where it should say "advances_to: null" which causes the game to crash when you level an ice caster high enough.. anyway i just manually changed it to play without problems :D

Also I dont think you can do much about it but the AI movement was the primary cause for the game to be too easy.... Explanation: you create a pocket, sort of an L shape that opens towards any enemy starting position and the enemies will run into the pocket not being able to determine which way the can actually reach the tower.. which results to that they cant find the way and just run inside the pocket made with the towers.

At least when i finished this it was primarily due to that kind of buggy behavior of the opponents' movement.. Also the cost for the towers could be slightly better balanced.. Or at least I couldnt think of any reasons to use Champions. :)

Anyway thanks for the add-on kept me busy for hours, it was fun! =)
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I'm positive that in the latest version the ice towers are fixed. I've just checked and in my copy null is spelled properly.

I actually haven't finished this however school has been keeping me busy and I've discovered I don't like just taking this on the server and testing it as in invariably involves teaching it to a new group of newbies who don't know how to play and who complain about difficulty and length.

About the champions: I agree that with the current difficulty they are not needed, however by the final wave the player will need towers that can individually deal over a hundred damage from a single hex. The fact that they have multi-strike and 3 different damage types is a nice bonus.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I have finished the beta for this add-on and put it up on the 1.8 server.

Just a few major changes:
-All waves are now in (though challenges still are not randomized.
-Most towers have been buffed (some quite extensively), some enemies have been buffed.
-Another type of tower has been added. This tower costs as much as a champion and has a decent arcane attack. Will also deal a set amount of damage to an enemy within 3 hexes at the start of its turn in addition to its normal attack (the fact that it gains no exp for this is intentional).
-The map has been revised extensively so that it is no longer symmetrical. Each player will have to deal with a different terrain set-up.
humanressource

Post by humanressource »

Greetings!

As much as I would like to see War Of The Dragon updated, here are some issues for you to fix :)

Central Tower can be sold, possibly leading to Godmode. At least i didnt loose...

No victory after last wave, possibly related to the sold Central Tower.

Moves Queue seems to get broken every time a unit gets to Central Tower, at least with one player (maybe it scales up to 2 or 3 units, proportional to player count).

big ups
cheers
HR
For we are many!
Susi

Post by Susi »

this tower defense is fun but its kinda hard to win but well thats prob just me