Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Quietus
Art Contributor

Quietus' revival artwork thread

Post by Quietus »

Or at least i hope it will be :P

My inactivity has largely been due to my moving to Scotland to go to uni (spaceinvader im after you hehe). A week into my course and ive finally settled down enough to get back onto the forums (the 5-6 months have been a real strain on me, and ive largely avoided forums as ive had a tendency to explode if people annoy me).

But that time has passed and im back in a productive mood, and thought i would start posting artwork again. This is just a dragon drawing i did earlier today, took about 40 mins. C+C? im not a keen sketcher but im trying to get more into it.

Unfortunately i dont have a scanner in my dorm atm so i had to take a picture on my camera sorry =[
Attachments
IMG_0050.JPG
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Quietus' revival artwork thread

Post by Thrawn »

That's a pretty awesome looking dragon ^_^ My only question is to what exactly is on top of his head XD
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Antonius

Post by Antonius »

Yeah, awsome! Something about the stature and eyes gives me the impression that it is intelligent. Contrary to that it's severe underbite implies that he is pretty dumb. I don't really know what you are going for though.
My computer just got back to me with a new hardrive...
Do you know the magic word,
Seldom seen and often heard?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Looks like a cool design, but the profile view makes it feel like a technical drawing rather than a start on a living, breathing picture.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Thrawn wrote:That's a pretty awesome looking dragon ^_^ My only question is to what exactly is on top of his head XD
Thanks, i was experimenting around and decided it was a fin that would go down his back. Something like this
thespaceinvader wrote:Looks like a cool design, but the profile view makes it feel like a technical drawing rather than a start on a living, breathing picture.
Well im not all that great at proportions so i didnt really want to try the entire thing XD, but my next piece will probably be the entire body
Last edited by Quietus on September 2nd, 2009, 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

I love it :). Its very well done. Alot better than what I've been able to do so far...
Dragon.png
Dragon.png (9.31 KiB) Viewed 5601 times
So what are you going to do with that? Are you making a portrait or a sprite or something :) ? It looks like it has great potential. :)

EDIT: Oh dear are people shunning this thread because of my horrendous, ugly, horrible, disgusting, repulsive, uneducated, poisonous, venomous, unenjoyable, unrefined little drawing? I hope not... It's supposed to serve as an obvious foil to your nice drawing...
Current Projects:

UMC Campaign Guardian Order.
Main Campaign Thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26895
Art Thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 28&start=0
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

xbriannova wrote:I love it :). Its very well done. Alot better than what I've been able to do so far...
The attachment Dragon.png is no longer available
So what are you going to do with that? Are you making a portrait or a sprite or something :) ? It looks like it has great potential. :)

EDIT: Oh dear are people shunning this thread because of my horrendous, ugly, horrible, disgusting, repulsive, uneducated, poisonous, venomous, unenjoyable, unrefined little drawing? I hope not... It's supposed to serve as an obvious foil to your nice drawing...
Currently the artwork is for nothing. I started doodling and thought it would be cool to hear some peoples opinions (i porbably should have put it in the off topic section now that i think about it). Though once i can buy a cheap mouse for my laptop i really want to get back into my spriting (i have a massively overdue request from Noy that i really need to get started on, Sorry Noy =[). I also have about 4 campaign ideas ready and waiting, so i might try and expand those into something playable (again when i have my mouse).

For now here is just another doodle. Im not all that happy with how it came out, there's something about the snake's head i dont like and the knife itself looks a little bland but i thought i would post it anyway. :P (again sorry for the quality)
Attachments
IMG_0063.JPG
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

The shading seems very random. Also, relatedly, the dagger(?) looks as if cut out of cardboard. One contributing factor is that the handles edges are wavy, not straight at all; you must have a very good reason if you really want to go with that, as it makes it a lot less convincing.

Btw, did you make your avatar yourself?
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Blarumyrran wrote:The shading seems very random.
For the most part it is random. Im not great with the whole shading thing yet. I probably wont do anymore sketching as i prefer spriting and having the ability to CTRL Z things =P
Blarumyrran wrote:Btw, did you make your avatar yourself?
Nope its from Kingdom Hearts Chain Of Memories I think.
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

Quietus wrote: i prefer spriting and having the ability to CTRL Z things =P
:idea: kitteh spriting perhaps? :D

and actually the dagger isnt so bad, people do make weird shapes on knives, just the middle is confusing for perception - carving or perpendicular additional piece of metal?
The problem with the snake is the proportions of jaws, lower one is too thick and too big in comparison to the upper
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Lord Ork
Code Contributor

Post by Lord Ork »

If you want undo, you should draw only the outline, scan it, and shade on computer. This way you can mend easily the wrong points.
It is ok to correct me if my English is too bad.

Working on Cunnicula Civil War
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Or, they have these wonderful things these days called erasers :P
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

thespaceinvader wrote:Or, they have these wonderful things these days called erasers :P
When working digitally, knowing you can go crazy without completely ruining your work is a reasuring thought. Its just not the same when you put pencil to paper.

EDIT:stDrake, im not great at cats, but if you give me what you've done, i can do some editing.
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Those are very cool.

And glad to hear you're back! :D I remember when I first saw your minotaurs... (the old ones) I was like "WOW, those are the best things I've ever seen! :shock: :shock: (and more than a hundred :shock:s)
:lol:

Anyway, the snake's eyes look... weird. They're so small and he looks like the same as me and my friend when we are in school and we desparately try to see what reads in the chakboard! :lol:
Check out my sprites!