[Complete] The GRAND TAG! - a 2vs2 Tournament

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Re: The GRAND TAG! - a 2vs2 Tournament

Post by Dragonking »

Team Noob Leavers lost agaisnt SPaM 2nd game of the 2nd round, but won the 3rd one.

Replay of the game 2 is unavailable due to reloading issues. Replay of the 3rd game is attached below.

Great games guys! It was really fun (and challenging! ) :)
Attachments
4p_-_Castle_Hopping_Isle_Turn_14_replay.gz
Replay
(64.88 KiB) Downloaded 457 times
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Faello

Post by Faello »

Radament, CragHack, grzywacz, Dragonking - could you contact the Yogibear and ask him to repair the replay from the second game of yours ? I'd do it by myself (contacting, not repairing :mrgreen:) but I don't have all the parts.

It could be nice little jewel in the replay pack I'll combine after the tournament, considering it lasted over 30 turns :)
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
Faello

Post by Faello »

OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT:

1) At 8:00 AM of GMT time today 2nd round of The GRAND TAG! was finished and 48 hours break for purpose of organisation matters has begun.

2) Final Round of The GRAND TAG! will begin at 24th of August 8:00 AM of GMT and will last until the 7th of September 8:00 AM of GMT

Time for the results people (numbers in round brackets = no. of games won by the team) :)

Noob Leavers (2) vs SPaM (1)
Les nuls (1) vs Team WC (0) sudden death

Tournament Tree after the end of round 2 of The GRAND TAG!:

Noob Leavers and Les nuls advanced into the Final Round - congratulations ! I hope that you'll give us all the entertaining Finale :mrgreen:

EDIT: The GRAND TAG! Final Round has begun! (Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:55 am)

Let's see who will win this tournament :)
KalenzZ

Post by KalenzZ »

The first match will be played Friday, at 17:30 GMT on the server 2

:D
Faello

Post by Faello »

Noob Leavers won the first Final Game (guys, please post the replay :) )

2nd Final Game is meant to be played at Sunday (Aug 30) at 17:30 GMT on the server 2

EDIT: Corrected the game time

All observers are invited :)
Last edited by Faello on August 29th, 2009, 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

Faello wrote:Noob Leavers won the first Final Game (guys, please post the replay :) )
Sure. :)
Faello wrote: 2nd Final Game is meant to be played today (Aug 29) at 17:30 GMT on the server 2

All observers are invited :)
Actually 2nd Final Game is meant to be played tomorrow (Aug 30) at 17:30 GMT.
Attachments
4p_-_Blue_Water_Province_Turn_12.gz
Replay
(71.63 KiB) Downloaded 453 times
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Faello

The GRAND TAG! - a 2vs2 Tournament

Post by Faello »

OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

1) At 0:01 AM GMT of 31 Aug 2009 Final Round of The GRAND TAG! was automatically finished after all games of the Final Round were played and power struggle between Noob Leavers (grzywacz & Dragonking) and Les nuls (KalenzZ & paso) ended 8) . Here are the results:

Noob Leavers (2) vs Les nuls (1)

Complete Tournament Tree:

I hereby announce that Noob Leavers are The CHAMPIONS OF The GRAND TAG! and...

Les nuls are The VICE-CHAMPIONS OF The GRAND TAG!

Congratulations to the Champions and Vice-Champions :D !

All TGT! games were played, thus...

2) I announce that The GRAND TAG! 2vs2 tournament is finished ! (Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:40 am) I wanted to say "Thank you" to all of the participants, I also hope that you've had fun playing TGT games :)

Now it's time for the...

TOURNAMENT SUMMARY:
Number of players that participated: 16+1(soul_steven as a sub :) )
Number of teams: 8
Number of games played: 15
Tournament lengt: 2 months with since 1st post ; 1,5 month since the beginning of the first round
Number of working replays: 12

It was relatively small tournament, but even with only 16 players, I sent totally about 80 PM's to the players and edited main tournament post about 80 times too :D I think that any bigger 2vs2 tournament (that is a 32 player/16 players) needs either a 1 VERY COMMITTED person to organise it OR (and it's much better option) 2 or 3 organisators. "2 out of 3 games to advance" is the optimal option since majority of players advance further before they'll lose interest in playing. Recruitment phase is a good option because it allows to bring other team into the tournament if somebody will resign from it few days after joining (which may always happen). 5 to 6 minutes per turn is acceptable maximum for players - it's not awfully long, yet still allows players to plan their moves carefully. I think that rules regarding maps could be better - essentially, I could limit the tournament maps to only the most serious ones for purpose of playing the Final Round (like Clash, Loris, Xanthe etc.) but it's up to the personal taste, still these maps are probably the most balanced from all of the 2vs2 maps. 2 weeks period for playing the 2 or 3 games is the minimum but 1st round shouldn't be prolonged too much.

Special Thanks to:
alpha1 - for helping me to create a rules for this tournament. Thanks bro :)
cmonyimann - for helping me to move the 2nd round
sidzej - for being a good team mate
soul_steven - for helping me to move the 2nd round
forum moderators - for sticking this topic and accepting the idea

4) I've created a TGT replay pack. Download & unrar it to your savegames directory and watch all the 1.6.4 TGT! replays !

TGT replay pack

That's all folks :D
Last edited by Faello on August 31st, 2009, 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Congratulations on a job well done. :D
Take a breath.
Radament

Post by Radament »

Congratulations to grzywacz and Dragonking, and many thanks to Faello for (hopefully) paving the way for more 2v2 tournaments with his great organisation and support. My only gripe is that a CDeath vs. SPaM duel didn't happen :)
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

and congratulation to you, faello,

having a 2v2 tournament go to completion is a feat by itself...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
grrr

Post by grrr »

Yeah, this date matching problem is complex to solve.
There are websites on the internet that help to make appointsments (everyone just enters the available slots), but more important is probably to enforce dates. To increase the incentitive of everyone finishing the tourney properly I would propose to have the players pay 10 wesnoth dollars, or even real money (always works better) which they get back after being eliminated or winning the tourney. However, not turning up to a game would forfeit the tourney fee, of course. Yeah, it might seems rude and after all, this is only a game. But I witnessed the problems Le nuls and Team WC had, and this needs to be prevented at all costs.
Faello

Post by Faello »

Thanks guys, I'm happy that we were able to complete this 2vs2 tournament. I hope it will open the road to more of such tournaments in the future :)

Well, I tried to put the communication with the players to the higher level via advising them to install the ICQ communicator (which basically would allow them to contact each other every time they would be online, thus making setting the games a faster process) but - except Radament and CragHack and me - nobody used it.

I predicted that such thing can happen, that's why I enforced the policy about only registered users being allowed to participate in the tournament (because they had to be registered to send me PM or information in this topic to join it). At least they could send each other a PM's now, but it's not a perfect form of communication, still it had to be a sufficient one.

Regarding wesnoth dollars - I don't think that any virtual currency would act like a motivator for a players. Basically, if end of the round and necessity of playing all the games (their obligation) doesn't motivate them to play, virtual currency wouldn't help either :hmm:

Regarding the real money bail - I think that it would be troublesome for organisator (receiving and after that, sending back all the money) and could scare off some players from the tournament (not because it would be some serious money that need to be paid, but because it would be additional burden for them to take care of this). Probably you would find a players with a good atittude to the tournament itself using this method, but you could have troubles with filling all the spots, not to mention that you would have to take care of all this cash transfers, which could take you some time.
grzywacz
Inactive Developer

Post by grzywacz »

ICQ? Meh. An IRC channel accessible through a Java applet / Chatzilla would be much easier to use for everyone, with the additional benefit of making group discussions in real-time possible. :idea:
chaoticwanderer

Post by chaoticwanderer »

Glad to see everything turned out fine. Good game, all. :)
The RNG helps those who help themselves.
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

The Grand Tag was great fun for all. Nice work Faello.

<De-sticky>
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty