Li'sar says: Edit Now!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Aethaeryn
Translator

Re: Li'sar says: Edit Now!

Post by Aethaeryn »

Zarel wrote:This kind of advertising is actually pretty tame. Not animated, no sound (I kept my computer muted so often back when I still played Kingdom of Loathing, because KoLWiki had an ad in rotation that played "CONGRATULATIONS! YOU'VE JUST WON A FREE NINTENDO WII!" every few minutes)...
Yes, and this may not be the biggest reason to get Adblock, but a giant picture of boobs isn't exactly what you would want someone to notice you having on your screen if you use a laptop in public (or in class). Try explaining to them, "It's just an ad!" They'll still think you're going to some perverted website. (I could be mistaken, maybe Internet advertising has gone that far downhill in the last four or five years.)
Zarel wrote:I can live with AdBlock - I get a bit less revenue from people who weren't that likely to click ads in the first place... Sure, it undercuts my profits by a fair margin, but meh, I'll find a way to deal with it.
I'd rather donate directly to a website, or purchase some kind of premium membership, if I liked it enough, but apparently I'm in a minority.
Zarel wrote:
xbriannova wrote:You think the advertisements are bad? Wait till you actually try the game. The people inside are all perverted sex maniacs. For every five minutes, there's always someone asking whether there's a girl who wants to 'get it on' :shock: . There's always someone asking for free sex :lol2:
Perhaps this wouldn't happen if the advertisement weren't intentionally designed to be similar to a sex ad...
Exactly, that's the kind of people you wouldn't want in the game. That's also what I was thinking when I saw the ad. I'm glad there's proof of that. I feel sorry for any attractive woman who used to play the game before its advertising campaign, especially if their username implied that they were female. The new community of gradually-increasing perverts probably chased them out.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Deusite
Translator

Post by Deusite »

For their next trick Evony lawyers threatened a lawsuit against someone who hated Evony so much that he typed it on a blog.

Naturally, Hilarity sues.

I admire the desperation of it all, It isn't like The Guardian think much differently.

They will come for you, WWWWolf, with a search warrant... and sharp things :twisted:
AKA Marz
Two profiles are better than one
Latin Translator
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

After some minimal surfing on the internet, it looks like they even stole one of their ad images from another site!

Some pages say the gameplay and some graphics are lifted from Civ, while most of the other graphics are from Age of Empires... At least they're not stealing our high quality sprites.

It's funny how much they've stolen, and then they're going to sue people.

EDIT: Yep, a quick Google Image search shows graphics I recognize from wasting too many years of my life on Age of Empires 2. In particular the archery range and guard tower in the south end of the map seem to be highly based off of AoE 2, as does the gate. Also, the flag on the right status menu between the helmet at the castle tower looks familiar too. The funny part? Age of Empires 2 is probably more fun to play.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
scienceguy8

Post by scienceguy8 »

That reminds me: anyone want to get a new add-hosting service? Supposedly Project Wonderful pays add hosters more than Google Ads, pays them more frequently, allows them some control over what is advertised, and uses a fairly unique model for purchasing ads that would make it quite easy for the members of the Wesnoth community to hock their wares, advertise their corners of the Internet, or even announce a big Wesnoth-based project.

Having never owned a successful web site, however, I have no first hand experience.
"You can't kill an unarmed, upside down man!"
Dr. Rodney McKay
Stargate Atlantis
Runner

Gilberti Industries
scienceguy8
Proud Member of the Marching Salukis
xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

Aethaeryn wrote:After some minimal surfing on the internet, it looks like they even stole one of their ad images from another site!

Some pages say the gameplay and some graphics are lifted from Civ, while most of the other graphics are from Age of Empires... At least they're not stealing our high quality sprites.

It's funny how much they've stolen, and then they're going to sue people.

EDIT: Yep, a quick Google Image search shows graphics I recognize from wasting too many years of my life on Age of Empires 2. In particular the archery range and guard tower in the south end of the map seem to be highly based off of AoE 2, as does the gate. Also, the flag on the right status menu between the helmet at the castle tower looks familiar too. The funny part? Age of Empires 2 is probably more fun to play.
You forgot to mention that some of the descriptions for their buildings and units are copied/plagiarised directly from Civilisation IV. How dare them :evil: !!! The way I see it, there's no point in lifting/copying/plagiarising. When you do something, you're supposed to make a point that you're capable of this and that and all of those. Ultimately, you're going to get credited for whatever you did- it would be a damn shame to be credited for something you didn't do.

Its a really rude reminder, Evony Online is, that the world is not just made up of the honest, upright and honorable, but the globe is also pock-marked with people of a darker order, unscrupulous sons of bitches.

I hope we aren't getting Battle for Wesnoth in trouble by talking about it here.
Deusite wrote:For their next trick Evony lawyers threatened a lawsuit against someone who hated Evony so much that he typed it on a blog.

Naturally, Hilarity sues.

I admire the desperation of it all, It isn't like The Guardian think much differently.

They will come for you, WWWWolf, with a search warrant... and sharp things :twisted:
And that is just proof of how pathetic and miserly the Evony Online people are.
Current Projects:

UMC Campaign Guardian Order.
Main Campaign Thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26895
Art Thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 28&start=0