Wesnoth Downloads

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

quartex wrote:But I warn you, it's not a simple thing to do. I'd only try it if you have a decent knowledge of programming and UNIX.
Oh? I had a fairly easy time compiling it, after getting the SDL libraries...

Of course, I don't know how 'decent' my knowledge of programming and UNIX actually is.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
scott

Post by scott »

themroc wrote:
scott wrote:I compiled 0.8.2 for mac, I'm FTPing it right now to
http://www.cis.rit.edu/~slk8779/wesnoth/

It should be ready for download in about 15 minutes
thank you
scott wrote:Really, no mac user has an excuse to not compile - XCode makes compiling so easy. Getting the libraries all set up was the hardest part, so I might expand on Sithrandel's guide a little.
I have an excuse, i tried many times, to compile wesnoth, but when i try on x11 and terminal i got only a error. And sithrandels guide didnt work either for me. :(
scott wrote:Come on! We're mac users - you need to get gellin'
Windows people - definitely not gellin'

Yes i know, but i cant help

cya
themroc

If you want to learn how to compile BFW on OS X (10.3 preferably), feel free to private message me. I started from a zero knowledge level so I can remember the little zigs and zags involved in getting this thing going.
themroc

Re: Mac OS X Binary

Post by themroc »

Fulk d'Anjou wrote:This is Fulk d'Anjou, who is barely computer literate much less a programmer.
me too
Fulk d'Anjou wrote:Is it not true that the binary referenced above is not ver. 8.2?
Sure it is, it was the only way, to avoid my questions about compiling.
Fulk d'Anjou wrote:Is it not true that one who is adept may download the version 8.2 source code and "compile" it on a Mac running OS X?
Its true, of course. I tried various times on commandline with the guide under the source code, it failed everytime in "make". Many times to try with sithrandels Guide, and always failing, probably it is only for Jaguar (like he wrote in the readme) and i have Panther.
Fulk d'Anjou wrote:My third query: can an unlearned one like me learn to do this without risk to my computer?
You are simply a lucky one :D

cya

themroc
darksteel

why

Post by darksteel »

WHY IS VERSION 8.3 OUTFOR WINDOWS AND NOT FOR MAC :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: why

Post by Dave »

darksteel wrote:WHY IS VERSION 8.3 OUTFOR WINDOWS AND NOT FOR MAC :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
It's because the developers have gotten together and have evil plans to disappoint Mac users and advantage Windows users, because we feel that Windows is a better operating system than OSX. We actually do have an OSX version, but we're not releasing it because we want to frustrate the Mac community for a while before doing so... :twisted:

---

Uhh...seriously...the Wesnoth development team produces the source tarball. We then rely on people to make versions for their platforms. I usually make the Windows version, since I'm a Windows user and have access to Windows development tools. Sithrandel has historically made the OSX versions, but he's not around at the moment, so OSX users have to rely on someone else doing it.

If the OSX community would like to donate Mac hardware to the development team, then we will try to make Mac binaries, but until then, we have to rely on someone to do it. (This is also the same for other platforms, such as BeOS).

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
darksteel

dave

Post by darksteel »

then can you tell me where i can go for the up dated version instead :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Dave wrote:It's because the developers have gotten together and have evil plans to disappoint Mac users and advantage Windows users, because we feel that Windows is a better operating system than OSX. We actually do have an OSX version, but we're not releasing it because we want to frustrate the Mac community for a while before doing so... :twisted:
OK, being the experienced programmer you are, have you heard of the megahertz myth?
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

i made a mac copy today, but nowhere to put it. if someone give me a place to put it I'll upload it. otherwise I'll probably have a place tomorrow (or less likely, later tonight)

edit: actually, looking at the time, VERY unlikely, because I'm going to bed now :P
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

MadMax wrote:
Dave wrote:It's because the developers have gotten together and have evil plans to disappoint Mac users and advantage Windows users, because we feel that Windows is a better operating system than OSX. We actually do have an OSX version, but we're not releasing it because we want to frustrate the Mac community for a while before doing so... :twisted:
OK, being the experienced programmer you are, have you heard of the megahertz myth?
Sure.....what about it?
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
darksteel

huh

Post by darksteel »

what is megahertz myth :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
scott

Post by scott »

That you can rank a computer's performance by using clock speed as a metric.

It is not true when comparing Intel and Apple computers because differences in chip architecture make a 2.2 GHz Intel computer perform as well as a 1 GHz Apple computer (for example).
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

scott wrote:That you can rank a computer's performance by using clock speed as a metric.

It is not true when comparing Intel and Apple computers because differences in chip architecture make a 2.2 GHz Intel computer perform as well as a 1 GHz Apple computer (for example).
Yeah but I really don't see how it's relevant. I was comparing software not hardware, and I wasn't being very serious anyhow :)

CPU speed really isn't that important anymore, compared to other things. Available memory is probably the most important, along with how fast you can access that memory. CPU cache is also very important. Even when just comparing CPUs though, things like the instructions the CPU can execute, number of registers it has, etc, can easily dominate raw clock speed.

David
darksteel

Post by darksteel »

dave, can you tell me where to go to get the up dated version for mac :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
miyo

Post by miyo »

darksteel wrote:dave, can you tell me where to go to get the up dated version for mac :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2853

- Miyo
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Dave wrote:
scott wrote:That you can rank a computer's performance by using clock speed as a metric.

Yeah but I really don't see how it's relevant. I was comparing software not hardware, and I wasn't being very serious anyhow :)

CPU speed really isn't that important anymore, compared to other things. Available memory is probably the most important, along with how fast you can access that memory. CPU cache is also very important. Even when just comparing CPUs though, things like the instructions the CPU can execute, number of registers it has, etc, can easily dominate raw clock speed.

David
OK... Isn't OSX based on Unix? :)
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom