Aura's Sprite Realm - New 23/1/10, Amazon Spearwoman

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
wesfreak

Re: Aura's Sprite Realm

Post by wesfreak »

i would take away the lesser dijinn's mustache. nice touch on the ogre head though.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

I'd suggest the level 2 blue genie guy just be called 'Dijin' instead of 'Greater Dijin'. Otherwise it would make people wonder where all the regular Dijins are at. Greater Dijin would be more appropriate for a lvl 3 version or for the lvl 2 if the lvl 1 was just 'Dijin'.

On the artwork, instead of taking away the lvl 1's mustache, give the level 2s some facial hair as well. The Ifrit would probably have a goatee of some sort and maybe a handlebar mustache on the lvl2 blue one.
TheJM

Post by TheJM »

It makes sense to me.. There's a lesser dijin and a greater dijin. There's no need for just a regular dijin. :o
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

It's like the traditional dividing of Demons into Lesser Demons and Greater Demons. It's not a problem to me.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

TheJM wrote:It makes sense to me.. There's a lesser dijin and a greater dijin. There's no need for just a regular dijin. :o
It just bugs me that there's no consistent point of reference. Since 'lesser dijin' can improve themselves (level) to become 'greater dijin' what is their 'lesser/greater-ness' in relation to? If a greater dijin is any dijin that is stronger than a lesser dijin wouldn't any greater dijins surpassed by a former lesser dijin that trained up be considered lesser dijins? If there was a point of reference (an average dijin) than lesser or greater would make sense; its a dijin that is weaker or stronger than an average dijin. Compare the troll grunt and wose line names.

It just bothers me. The decision is up to Aura of course.
Aura

Post by Aura »

Well nothing is final yet. I'll leave the names for now, but when/if I do a Lv 3 I'll amend them to Lesser Dijin, Dijin, and Greater Dijin.

I have added facial hair to the Lv 2 dijin upgrades, and made a Lv 3 sorceress. Would anyone be able to WBG the induvidual unit images for me when I declare them final ?

EDIT : Created a Lv 3 Swordsman, the Desert Sheik. He got the Lv 2 camel guy's head and shield, a bigger cloak and blade, and a purple loincloth-style attachment to his belt.

melinath

Post by melinath »

These look pretty good. Just to warn you, I am about to list problems I notice but I can't tell you for sure how to fix them.

- The swords on the lvl 2 swordsmen look like fencing swords (because they are.) Not something I'd expect desert warriors to wield.
- The sword on the lvl 3 swordsman looks way too curved to be practical.
- The mage line sports a number of unstable positions.
- I like the Shiva's feathers, but I'm confused by them too, because I feel like I'm seeing the top of her wings when I should be seeing the bottom.
- The camels' legs look off. Very flat.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Why do women always have to be blond? :hmm:

A desert faction is a perfect example to show that there can be women who aren't blond in video games.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
melinath

Post by melinath »

For that matter, why are they all pale white? Doesn't work so well in a desert. Lots of sun?
Aura

Post by Aura »

Well all the desert elves are pale white in the campaign. I'll leave those female mages with blond hair, but if I make another line I'll give them a different color. I'll try and get the issues with the swords fixed, and give the Shiva new wings. Do you mean the female mages or male ones, and which specific units ? I'll also add some brighter shades to the camel's legs.

EDIT: I've also made this sprite.

Technically it's a custom, but the arms and body were basically made with a real part right next to them so the outlines/shading are fairly similar though not exact. I really can't do faces :(
Aura

Post by Aura »

Some updates. Tweaked the swords on the swordsman line, though I've still got a bit to do. Added a first version for the Lv 3 Camel Rider, and attempted a fix for the shading on the camel's legs.

wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

i don't think a scout would go very fast if it had to lug around all that armour. i feel sorry for that camel. try something more scout apropriate.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Aura wrote:I've also made this sprite.

Technically it's a custom, but the arms and body were basically made with a real part right next to them so the outlines/shading are fairly similar though not exact. I really can't do faces :(
Looks to me like you're pillowshading.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Also, the legs are tubes.

Remember that the shading shouldn't be in the middle, it should be on the right (from our point of view) - the lighting in wesnoth is from upper right when the sprite is facing SE.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Aura

Post by Aura »

Here's what I've been working on, a goblin faction. The spearman, flagbearer (Rouser) and hero (Impaler) come from mainline, the rest are edits. If any Era wants these civilisations, please go ahead and use them :) I'm planning to add more to them both.