Invasion from the Unknown (legacy version)

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eponymous-Archon

Re: Invasion from the Unknown

Post by Eponymous-Archon »

Playing medium difficulty and I think several of the levels are too hard. The maps are very complex and you have to do things in the right order, so you can never do them right the first time (unless you are very very lucky). Strike on New Knalga is ridiculously hard with an overwhelming number of enemies and nowhere near enough gold (I have over 500) to wait them out. Also, and this may be a more general point, why don't allied leaders whose death means loss ever run away? They always seem to stick to their keeps even as they are invaded. (Eg, the dwarf king in Strike).
The Eponymous Archon
Max

Post by Max »

Eponymous-Archon wrote:Also, and this may be a more general point, why don't allied leaders whose death means loss ever run away? They always seem to stick to their keeps even as they are invaded. (Eg, the dwarf king in Strike).
running away isn't an easy task for an AI. sticking to their keep is the best bet to keep them alive.
Danath

Post by Danath »

I was playing old version until I had a bug error -> crash in the last map, so I downloaded last version of Wesnoth and IftU. Played again using cheats just to know the end of the story :lol2:

(1) What difficulty levels and game (& campaign) versions have you played the scenario/campaign on?
Medium

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario/campaign? (1-10)
Overall 8. Most of the scenario are hard, few easy

(3) How clear did you find the scenario/campaign objectives?
Mostly clear, although I would add "kill the big boss ONLY with..." :evil:

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline?
Loved it. "Necromancer and tourist guide" :lol2:

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario/campaign?
-Is quite hard to keep your units alive in the last scenarios.
Spoiler:
(6) How fun do you think the campaign is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the campaign to make it more fun?
Nothing I could think not said on point 5

(8) Any grammatical mistakes in dialogue/story text?
Not sure if in the nearly last objective I read "puta n end" instead of "put a", clicked too fast :hmm:

Note: I don't know if you made any change since the old version I played about this, but Elvish Forefather+berserker potion=demon killer, no matter how strong they are. Killing enemy leaders in the first turn there is an hex available, priceless.
stargazer

Post by stargazer »

(1) What difficulty levels and game (& campaign) versions have you played the scenario/campaign on?
If reviewing a specific scenario, please specify.
Elvish Marshal (Difficult). It was really hard during a couple of scenarios in the beginning but then I played with great number of promoted units and in the second part I managed to collect about 500-600 units of gold to the end of each scenario :D
I found it difficult enough especially first two scenarios and the scenarios where the Big Boss intervenes.
I had no problems with it.
Very interesting.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario/campaign?
Too numbered enemies, possessing strong ranged attack. Sometimes it was a real nightmare to save my royal units :augh:
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the campaign to make it more fun?
I would like to add a fourth level for elvish druids as in UtBS

No
booky

Post by booky »

Great job people :)

I've played both campaigns. Difficulty: 2nd one.

7, but sometimes 11 :)

Very clear.

Very clear and interesting.

To keep heroes alive.

-

-
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

hey !
this is fun stuff.

usually i never play campaigns (at least so far) but i was bored and gave it a go and it was really great fun.

i played medium diff, and i am kinda pleased with my group so far.

i just have one question, i am currently playing "The Elf versus Goliath" (after valley of Moon, which is great), and i am kinda stuck, i used the first "opening ball" which opened an entry to a cave, but after that i have no clue where to go, the cave itself leads to another room which is closed though and there is no other exit.

any hints you can give me ?
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Mabuse wrote:i just have one question, i am currently playing "The Elf versus Goliath" (after valley of Moon, which is great), and i am kinda stuck, i used the first "opening ball" which opened an entry to a cave, but after that i have no clue where to go, the cave itself leads to another room which is closed though and there is no other exit.
Move a unit to (10, 19); some walls at the center of the same room will lower; there you will find the last trigger which opens the walls around (21, 19).
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Yeran

Post by Yeran »

Feedback for the 1.5.x/1.6.x version:

Easy, current stable version, campaign version 1.14.0

Seemed ok taking easy difficulty and the expert-campaign description into consideration

The hints in the victory condition screen are a very good idea and strongly needed. Beside that I sometimes felt unsure if I could recruit or not if I could reach a keep.

Good dialogues, can't really talk about the story as I'm not a huge fan of the good undead idea and certainly missed some points as the walls of text are sometimes overwhelming if english is not your first language. I liked the references to other campaigns however, as there is so many new stuff you get trouble connecting it to wesnoth lore.

I think it was fine, mostly the shadow master proved to be a major problem. I dont know if I missed some hints but he was kind of hard with his unexpected healing all the time. With the right strategy he finally went down smothly.

8, definitely one of if not the best UMC.

1. Sometimes there are really long dialogues without a break. One time I accidently finished a scenario before picking up a certain powerup and it took a very long time to click away all the text to reload. You only want to read it one time obviously.

2. The missions after the shadow masters defeat somehow felt wrong. I think there is some need to scare the player, so he feels some kind of danger. Like the raising water in UtbS for example, as currently the idea something could happen to me after the shadow master is deafeated never really settled. Overall these missions seemed rather unpolished, if not for the version-number I guessed the campaign wasn't really finished yet. No offense of course, as on the other hand this means I noticed the hard work you put in many scenarios before.

No native speaker.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

shadowmaster wrote: Move a unit to (10, 19); some walls at the center of the same room will lower; there you will find the last trigger which opens the walls around (21, 19).
great, thank you very much.
now i can continue the quest :)
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Yeran wrote:1. Sometimes there are really long dialogues without a break. One time I accidently finished a scenario before picking up a certain powerup and it took a very long time to click away all the text to reload. You only want to read it one time obviously.
Use escape, that skips over all the text at once.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

I'm pretty sure this is the best place to post this, but I'm not entirely sure.
Anyway, first of all, this is an awesome campaign and I can't believe it isn't mainline yet.
But I ran into a strange error when I tried to load a save from the scenario "Dawn of the Great War." Part way through loading the save it gave me this message:
iftu_error.jpg
It would not load any saves or autosaves of that scenario except the Scenario start save. So I just played through the whole scenario all at once without using saves and went on with the campaign with no problems. Until a few scenarios later, on "The Heart." I had the same problem again. (note: the image is actually of the error I got on "The Heart.")
I have IftU version 1.14.2 and Wesnoth version 1.6.4.
I was playing on the easiest difficulty level. If there is any other information I am forgetting, let me know.
Valyn

Post by Valyn »

Your description of a Crossbowmen says that they are proficient with the axe as well as the crossbow and the sprite shows an axe but the attack itself has a picture of a sword and says sword.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Valyn wrote:Your description of a Crossbowmen says that they are proficient with the axe as well as the crossbow and the sprite shows an axe but the attack itself has a picture of a sword and says sword.
I noticed that too. Minor contradiction though, has no effect on gameplay.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:...
I have IftU version 1.14.2 and Wesnoth version 1.6.4.
I was playing on the easiest difficulty level. If there is any other information I am forgetting, let me know.
Could you PM me with a saved game that reliably reproduces the bug?
In case you forgot this, I, shadowmaster wrote:Discussion threads: (bug reports, random thoughts, code or text revisions and other stuff should go there)
1.6-compatible releases: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23379
EDIT:
Valyn wrote:Your description of a Crossbowmen says that they are proficient with the axe as well as the crossbow and the sprite shows an axe but the attack itself has a picture of a sword and says sword.
That's what I get for changing unit sprites, names and descriptions without updating the actual attack stats, names, icons and animations.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
silent

Post by silent »

Feedback thread:

Please state the campaign version you played in your post. The version number is listed in the campaign menu entry's description. If you find any technical difficulties, please take them to the main discussion thread for the campaign, listed below under Related Links.

Medium 1.6.5

7-8. The challenge was good and difficult, but not to the point where it seems downright impossible, although when new knalga was besieged, I think I had very good RNG. However, while I think you were trying to indicate a wide open room would have some sort of nasty suprise, there really should be some sort of warning beforehand, even a vague one would suffice. The boss battles were very enjoyable too, a nice challenge, and different from the usual final bloodthirsty carnage battles used in other campaigns

Clear, since I was familiar with changing objectives from under the burning suns

I quite liked the dialogue at times, especially with some of the nasty and downright shocking suprises. I would've liked much more information on the shaxthal though, the backstory was good but I would've liked to have known more

I liked the difficulty overall, since at times it reminded me of the very little room for error known to The Rise of Wesnoth, Which I considered a difficulty, but overcame without having to replay scenarios, since I attempt to hoard gold or finish early. I think however, had I not thought of leveling adepts/warrior spirits = really good idea early on, the campaign would've been far more difficult for me. The hives were rather challenging, although I did increase the difficulty for myself somewhat by taking a 5 mp elven captain with me.

8. Other than nasty suprises resulting in saveloads (e.g, when finding the lady of light, escaping from knalga), this was a really fun campaign, with suttle hints to help, and scenario notes were very useful.

Breaking into the dark fortress is nothing short of a joke in 1.6.5, and with the dwarves help it's ridiculously easy. The enemy leaders should get far more gold to make it more interesting

not that I can remember