Lore Collection Project

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Deusite
Translator

Re: Lore Collection Project

Post by Deusite »

AKA Marz
Two profiles are better than one
Latin Translator
melinath

Post by melinath »

Thanks, Deusite! Noted.
Deusite
Translator

Post by Deusite »

Eastern Invasion

Not much text in this'un. Now I get to move on to the more interesting job of analysing.
AKA Marz
Latin Translator
melinath

Post by melinath »

Deusite: I realize this may be a bit of a pain and perhaps I should have thought of it earlier, but would you be willing to go back and add in the unit types of the specified names? This only occurs to me now because of the very odd naming for the undead in EI. It's something I need to do at some point for TRoW because of the Orc prefixes.

Also, noted and thanks!
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

I haven't worked on the description analysis much recently.

Here's a revised version of the Dwarvish analysis anyway. Stuff that isn't explicitly stated anywhere is in italics. I've added the citations for the unit lore pages, and I think I still need to add it for the Characteristics and Equipment pages. Most of the off-the-rails assumptions have been culled.
Attachments
Dwarvish Unit Analysis - Revision.pdf
(31.81 KiB) Downloaded 623 times
Deusite
Translator

Post by Deusite »

Melinath: Unit types for SoF, DiD and EI are done. UtBS will be a very low priority because of how many units there are and the fact that most of their names amount to MISTEH KILL GYE!1!!1!! :twisted:

Skrim: A small thing but if you include runic hammers as weapons then the lightning attack from the mainline runemaster should go in.

First draft for SoF analysis. I'll have to check HTTT for a few things since I haven't played it since the dialogue was revised.

Edit: Yay for rubbish grammar! I'll fix that for the next revision. I am my own worst proofreader.
SoF.pdf
(96.34 KiB) Downloaded 768 times
AKA Marz
Latin Translator
melinath

Post by melinath »

Thanks, Deusite! Good work!

Some criticism: (I'm leaving out grammatical errors and misspelling since you indicated that you'll correct those.)
(Also, sorry if it's a bit blunt at points. I'm just listing things I notice. I may point out an incorrect reference and be mistaken; I'm skimming a bit.)

1. You're welcome to write your own overview/introduction... ;-)

General Wesverse Lore:
Typo: the 'challenge' was set by Garard I, not Garard II. Also, for clarity, perhaps move the (S1) to right after the part that is in S1. (I.e. to right before 'The challenge itself is not specified...')

The Northlands: Unclear why the section on what Humans and Dwarves call the dwarvish communities is italicized. That section is also partly inaccurate. In S1, Haldric II uses 'clan', while the dwarves use 'tribe' in S3 and S8. The note on the implied structures would go after the reference. The conflicting terminology is interesting...
Generally, much of the Northlands section should be put elsewhere; a lot of it belongs in Dwarf Lore. All that should remain there is the first sentence (populations) and the sentence about the area that the dwarves mine and the natural resources found there (which could be repeated in Dwarf Lore).
Also, can you tell *whose* magic it is that activates the volcano?

Dwarf Lore
Sweet! An analysis of naming... I may have to go back and add that to my TRoW analysis...
Hmm. You could make it a little clearer that it's extremely speculative.
Also, Knalga is not a clan name, but rather a location.

The 'heart of stone' line could stand for a note about cultural bias. Also, I'm not clear on how it explains Durstorn's treasury.

Durstorn's gold and coal aren't necessarily a result of his wealth, and the gold he's referring to could *be* his treasury.

It would be nice to have a list of Dwarf Clans and their specialties.

Magic/Technology:

I can't find the source for "glyphs and runes cannot be distinguished from each other. The word 'rune' doesn't appear in the second scenario.

The use on objects is missing a reference, as is the statement that Thursagan tries and fails.

I can't find anything in scenario 8 to support the statement that magic is used on tools.

Presumption about reasons for dwarvish magic in volcano should go after the reference. Does the glyph suppress the volcano or make it erupt?

Forges being imbued with magic needs a reference.

Relations:
I can't find the source for "They appear to be neutral to humans and innately dislike the elvish" in S2...

The Sceptre of Fire: You can include all sceptre-specific information in the Wesverse section.

Combat:
Hmm... there's not really a good way with the current setup to source the level of enemy units.

I'm leaving the remaining Lore sections unexamined for now... I'll look over them another time.
Deusite
Translator

Post by Deusite »

Thanks for the comments. Let's press ahead now :P
melinath wrote: (Also, sorry if it's a bit blunt at points. I'm just listing things I notice. I may point out an incorrect reference and be mistaken; I'm skimming a bit.)

1. You're welcome to write your own overview/introduction... ;-)
Nah, I like bluntness, it puts you in your place.

What write my own preamble... and do... work? :augh:
melinath wrote: The Northlands: Unclear why the section on what Humans and Dwarves call the dwarvish communities is italicized. That section is also partly inaccurate. In S1, Haldric II uses 'clan', while the dwarves use 'tribe' in S3 and S8. The note on the implied structures would go after the reference. The conflicting terminology is interesting...
Italic stuff is supposed to be contradictions and other randomly related points. I'll just use them for contradictions, less confusion. Dwarves and Haldric use both tribe and clan it seems.
melinath wrote: Also, can you tell *whose* magic it is that activates the volcano?
No, but I speculate that its dwarven magic.
melinath wrote: Dwarf Lore
Sweet! An analysis of naming... I may have to go back and add that to my TRoW analysis...
Hmm. You could make it a little clearer that it's extremely speculative.
Also, Knalga is not a clan name, but rather a location.
Yes, definitely speculative. Names are written more according to the author's taste than anything else. Have you seen the orcish names in DiD? o.o

I've never been sure what Knalga is exactly. The broadest interpretation is that it's the mountains where dwarves live in the north and the most specific is Rugnur's clan.

Knalga's the southern arm of the Heart Mountains, yay for wikis! :mrgreen:
melinath wrote: It would be nice to have a list of Dwarf Clans and their specialties.
Hmm, there's only two in the campaign and a dubious third. A short list it will be.
melinath wrote: Magic/Technology:

I can't find the source for "glyphs and runes cannot be distinguished from each other. The word 'rune' doesn't appear in the second scenario.

The use on objects is missing a reference, as is the statement that Thursagan tries and fails.

I can't find anything in scenario 8 to support the statement that magic is used on tools.

Presumption about reasons for dwarvish magic in volcano should go after the reference. Does the glyph suppress the volcano or make it erupt?
By glyphs and runes I mean the terminology. Although I might hazard a guess that glyphs are more powerful. The Arcanists use them instead of runes and the larger scale gate-closey-thingies are called glyphs. The magic being used on tools is speculation.
melinath wrote: Relations:
I can't find the source for "They appear to be neutral to humans and innately dislike the elvish" in S2...
I based that on the way they talk to each other, and it should be S1 ;)
melinath wrote: Combat:
Hmm... there's not really a good way with the current setup to source the level of enemy units.
Does that mean the Surghans? The source for that would either be the scenario or a macro that (I think) creates them.

I'm not really sure what you mean.
Last edited by Deusite on August 17th, 2009, 6:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
AKA Marz
Latin Translator
melinath

Post by melinath »

Deusite wrote:
melinath wrote: Combat:
Does that mean the Surghans? The source for that would either be the scenario or a macro that (I think) creates them.

I'm not really sure what you mean.
I just meant that it's not something that's not included in the scenario text. If you put in a reference like "S9" or "S3", you'd be referencing the story text, since that's the precedent for that kind of reference. There needs to be some other way of referencing things like unit level. Perhaps S?SF for scenario file?
Deusite
Translator

Post by Deusite »

Here is the next version. Feel free to unleash your inner grammar monkey. I never seem to be able to fix my own grammar issues as well as other people's anyway, hmm.
Attachments
SoF.pdf
SoF Episode II
(97.83 KiB) Downloaded 2118 times
AKA Marz
Latin Translator
Deusite
Translator

Post by Deusite »

I don't like double posting but...
DiD.pdf
Malin didn't get enough love...
(91.95 KiB) Downloaded 650 times
(respect the British English! No favorabilities here!)

... here's the first draft for DiD. I can see why Mal Keshar is in IfTU now, that whole abyss thing raises some interesting possibilities.

Those orcs need some renames, some of them aren't even pronounceable.
AKA Marz
Latin Translator
mabeenot

Post by mabeenot »

A couple typos in the DiD analysis:

Year instead of "ear" on pg. 7 in first paragraph of Combat section.

Tath instead of "That" on pg. 10 in the second paragraph under Necromancy

Maybe add woses to the list of creatures that hate the undead at the end of pg. 10 since you noted earlier in the wose lore that they hate undead.

Other than that, sounds good. The presence of an abyss really needs to be explained somehow in the campaign...
Deusite
Translator

Post by Deusite »

Thanks for reading!

Maybe the abyss was left to be vague intentionally, who knows, although an explanation would make that easier. As well as an explanation of all thing to do with UtBS. It's a shame quartex isn't around to ask anymore.

Autocorrect kept changing Tath into that, rawwwwr :evil:
AKA Marz
Latin Translator
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

There's a reference to SoF at the beginning.

I think the abyss is just an ordinary chasm in a cave. The reference to the fall is probably just an IncrediblyLamePun.

The Arkan-Thoria/Longlier is a river, you can find it here: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Geography_of_Wesnoth

The description of the goblins is probably just Darken Volk's description. The manual states that they appear in every orcish litter.

The zombie/goblin altercation (along with the names Ed and Shaun) is just a reference to a zombie comedy.

The book kept in Tath is not Crelanu's book. DiD is set before DM, so the book is still guarded by Cleodil and her descendants.
As for keeping it, the order of magi is analogous to today's scientific community: knowledge is valued, even if it can be used for less-than-wholesome purposes.
Preventing allies from protecting a city constitutes treason (S6).
This may just be Malin's opinion.
Necromancers can collapse tunnels with ‘a word and a gesture’. (S10)
This probably has little to do with necromancy and more with magic in general. The tunnel was probably a not-particularly-well-constructed escape tunnel.
Torches affect the undead very little (S5).
Torches affect undead quite a lot. It's just that leaving torches burning at night around a camp didn't stop Malin from massacring it.

About the Mal prefix, it is *not* a generical 'malicious' prefix or the like. Malin has the somewhat unique excuse of it being a shorthand for his original name.
It has also been conjectured that Ravanal knew Malin and named his cult in honor of his teacher or the like. (but this is mostly off-hand speculation)

It may at some point be a good idea to stop Malin from renaming himself.
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

Due to the lack of comment, I've finalized this Dwarf unit description analysis.

Now I'll begin the Elves. It'll be largely in the same format, but with one page about Elvish Magic as well.
Attachments
Dwarvish Unit Analysis - Final.pdf
(34.14 KiB) Downloaded 661 times