Mermen Tree Proposal

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

*level up* - merman spearman - mermaid spearmaiden graphics pending...

(I'm gonna finish all the mermen before I start on the mermaids).
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

netcaster. has a more upright stance than the hunter. I'll save any gold trim for level-3.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

The javileneer. Note that all the male mermen share the same, upright stance for each level.

The level 3's all have a much larger figure, per se, than the level 2's.

True, I copied this from the good 'ol triton, but the level-2 stance was of my own creation. Besides - it adds a nice, visual consistency to the race.

What I am unsure about, with this guy, is whether or not he needs a different helm. He looks fine in the one he is in, but, um...

Right now, both mainline mermen warriors @ level 2 get the same helm.
I don't think it would be bad for the same to be true of level 3 (which is as you see in the picture).

Obviously, the hoplite gets his big helm, but.. hm...
Worth noting that the netcasters do not get one...
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

entangler, which brings me to something else:
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

The updated male half of the unit tree!!! ;^o^;
(Hoplite edit pending)
which is really kind of cool, actually, that I have it done.

Here's the game plan. I am going to start making animations for these guys, and cfg files to go with them. It should be damned close to drag and drop - really.

Right now, I am just going to do the fighter branch units, and get them ALL DONE, and into the game. The idea is to make the process of integrating them a good bit easier by putting things in nice, small, bite-sized chunks.

Then, and I will probably have the basic frames for all the ladies done in the meantime, I will finish up the animations and prepare those.

---------

As you may see, the merman has been renamed to "merman fighter". This is because I have decided to create a mermen, and mermaid - single, basically non-combatant units.

I have in my mind, a scenario in which the human player has to help the mermen evacuate onto land, because a leviathan is attacking their city. This will, of course, require hapless innocents, and I believe these two units should provide.

The merman can level into the fighter and hunter, and the mermaid into the memaid adept/initiate and hunter.

Both of these units are level 0 - I do not think they should be recruitable, rather I think they should be campaign only. For multiplayer, the player can recruit level 1, or in age of heroes, level 2 combatants.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

5-3 melee for Spearman?!?! That's worse than a Merman Fighter.... I think it should be 6-3, and 7-3 for Javelineer.

How muc would these guys cost? and XP costs? The Spearman has a LOT more powerful ranged than the hunter... though this has precedents.

And WHY IS THE ENTANGLER SO WIMPY?!?!?! 7-2 melee on a level 3 unit... the Elvish Sharpshooter? It had super ranged. The Elvish Shyde? It had Cures. but the Entangler is just wimpy. 6-3 ranged is only slightly better than the Orcish Warlord, too...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

because this is something I threw together really quickly.
some of these stats are completely whacked.

please come up with specific lists of things you would like changed, and I will be very happy to change them - the job of managing stats is somewhat in my hands, since I have *almost* singlehandedly made these graphics.

I really don't have very strong opinions about the stats, though.
dms

Post by dms »

These mermen look really good Jetryl
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

odd... to me only the triton and hoptlite look 3rd level... the other 3rds look 2nd or even 1st.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager

Fighter: 14 gold, 6-3 melee
Warrior: 7-4 melee
Triton: 12-4 melee
Hoplite: 10-4 melee, steadfast
Hunter:16 gold, 7-2 melee, 6-3 ranged
Spearman: 7-3 melee, 7-3 ranged
Javelineer: 8-3 melee, 14-3 ranged
Netcaster: 8-2 melee, 8-2 ranged slow
Entangler: 9-3 melee, 10-2 ranged slow, Skirmisher

EDIT: I just noticed... why are almost all the attacks pierce? and what's a hunter's long range attack type?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
pip8184

Post by pip8184 »

the entangler and the netcaster are very hard to differentiate :/
autolycus

Post by autolycus »

Elvish Pillager wrote:I just noticed... why are almost all the attacks pierce? and what's a hunter's long range attack type?
Because piercing is probably the most effective physical attack form underwater.
as kingfishers catch fire
so dragonflies draw flame
-GMH
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

autolycus wrote:Because piercing is probably the most effective physical attack form underwater.
why aren't water units resistant to other forms of attack, then?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

autolycus wrote:
Elvish Pillager wrote:I just noticed... why are almost all the attacks pierce? and what's a hunter's long range attack type?
Because piercing is probably the most effective physical attack form underwater.
realism is irrelevant. ;)

and i think a blade attack would be effective too... the problems would come with impact or fire.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager

turin wrote:the problems would come with impact or fire.
Fire->boiling water->your gills/lungs/whatever->YOU DIE!

Fire would have 100% hit chance and dodouble damage in water. :twisted:

(not)