Nightmares

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Noyesdude

Re: Nightmares

Post by Noyesdude »

These are Awesome like a lot of people here can't wait till it up on the servers :)
mystic x the unknown

Post by mystic x the unknown »

another update, some of these are already included...

updated: (screenshot in previous post)
armored Child of Foolishness, Avatar of Foolishness
cat L1,2, spectre L2
new:
creepers
earth elemental
temporary sprites:
eye -uses the snake version until the final design of all 3 levels is decided (ideas wanted)
jungle elemental -uses edited wose shaman, wip below
I wanted to make several versions of the elementals and these were meant just as quick replacements to remove the wose shaman sprite, but turned out pretty well so they might stay like this. The vegetable thing is jungle elemental wip. For it's slowing attack, I thought it could throw some of these hanging vines instead of entangling with roots.

I'd like to see some more critique or ideas, if you be so kind. Doesn't have to be just drawing errors but also suggestions for style, design or color changes. Whatever you think could get better.
Last edited by mystic x the unknown on February 3rd, 2010, 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
you are not gonna make it
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Lookin' good :cool:
I like the new jungle elemental! Can't wait to see it finished.
The only thing I would say is, the level two and three egg-advancements that aren't the CoF look pretty similar... Maybe a slightly different pose for the L3? :hmm:
Anyway, great job! Keep at it, and this faction will have some of the best art of any UMC :D

Edit: Ack, missed some stuff...

I like the idea of the triple-eyed L2 cat! I definitely think that that sort of unreal, creepy stuff will suit this faction great. If you could pull it off, a multi-bodied L3 Spectre could work nicely, too.
Stylistically, I'd say just try to make it as creepy as weird as possible, and it'll work great :)
Ryorin

Post by Ryorin »

Holy crap...

I love the Avatar/Child of Foolishness...

Good design!
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

really good work.
look like some new stuff for an SX Level :D

seriously, this is really nice work
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Wow, I like them a lot. :) You're really good at making sprites, Mystic x the unknown.
Check out my sprites!
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

I think this is as close as it gets to people salivating over art...

3 thumbs up.
PsychoticKittens

Post by PsychoticKittens »

Dude your stuff is amazing. These'd be awesome for just about anything you used 'em for. Being disturbed never helps more than with artistic abilities :D
Creator of: Mercenaries Era; Modern Combat
Future Projects: Faunima: Land of Monsters
Temporarily Dropped Projects: Zombie Horde
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

era of the future wants you! to help with art.

those sprites are very good, even though i don't care much for the faction myself. maybe you could put some red eyes in the clouds of darkness lvl ups? because the only difference between the different sprites are size and shape. not much more in a cloud of darkness, is there?

where is the red orb in the forest elemental? it's there in all of the other ones. no cave elemental?
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

wesfreak wrote:era of the future wants you! to help with art.

those sprites are very good, even though i don't care much for the faction myself. maybe you could put some red eyes in the clouds of darkness lvl ups? because the only difference between the different sprites are size and shape. not much more in a cloud of darkness, is there?

where is the red orb in the forest elemental? it's there in all of the other ones. no cave elemental?
This topic has been inactive for three months. That should tell you something.

Also, if you were just posting to recruit an artist you should have just PMed the guy and asked him. A quick glance at his profile shows that he has indeed been active on the forums and would get your message.
mystic x the unknown

Post by mystic x the unknown »

hello.
sorry, I made some stuff that I haven't posted.. here is a small update.

new eye. higher levels could be lined with eyelash-like spikes and maybe extra warts
attempt at TC (recoloring iris looked bad)
updated elementals.. with TC test (sand and water ones have changed too)
Last edited by mystic x the unknown on October 14th, 2009, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
you are not gonna make it
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

They almost look like they have tentacles coming out of their mouths. Not sure if that's good or not but it's inventive to be sure.
xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

Haha reminds me alot of Silent Hill the games and the movie. Nicely done and they're quite disturbing/freaky too :)

EDIT: Although I think the differences between the level 1,2 and 3s of each line of troops seem to be too subtle.
Current Projects:

UMC Campaign Guardian Order.
Main Campaign Thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26895
Art Thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 28&start=0
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

xbriannova wrote:Although I think the differences between the level 1,2 and 3s of each line of troops seem to be too subtle.
How do you know they're lv 1, 2, and 3s? Maybe they're variations of the same unit or he's asking which one is better.
xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

mystic x the unknown wrote:thanks for all the on-topic replies!
I decided to make rough outlines for most of the unit levels. They looked too different from other sprites so I coloured them as well. Please tell about any interesting ideas how to change or even completely redo individual units.
-----
wip of all units: (except eyes and elementals) Image

an attempt at armored Child and Avatar of Foolishness: (armor because it has resistantances)
-----
notes

I couldn't come up with much diversification for higher levels, especially for the spectre. Some of my (bad) ideas were making higher level made of 2 specters leaning on others back sideways to enemy and making level-1 spectre a caterpillar.
I'll try to change the spectre to make the antennae and tongue during attack better visible. (ideas for that welcome)

the cat level 2's head could be shown as beginning to split into 2, which would look like some of the 2 headed animals that have merged heads with 3 eyes total.
Zerovirus wrote:
xbriannova wrote:Although I think the differences between the level 1,2 and 3s of each line of troops seem to be too subtle.
How do you know they're lv 1, 2, and 3s? Maybe they're variations of the same unit or he's asking which one is better.
I was talking about this one post above ^^^. Sorry if its outdated or that I misunderstood.
Current Projects:

UMC Campaign Guardian Order.
Main Campaign Thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26895
Art Thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 28&start=0