What is your favorite campaign?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What is your favorite mainline campaign?

Heir to the Throne
20%
A Tale of Two Brothers
No votes
An Orcish Incursion
2%
The South Guard
No votes
Liberty
4%
Legend of Wesmere
4%
The Eastern Invasion
No votes
The Hammer of Thursagan
No votes
Descent Into Darkness
11%
Delfador's Memoirs
No votes
The Sceptre of Fire
9%
Son of the Black-Eye
4%
The Rise of Wesnoth
13%
Northern Rebirth
13%
Under the Burning Suns
20%

Total votes: 46

Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: What is your favorite campaign?

Post by Turuk »

stupidjaguar wrote:Is Delfador's Memoirs anything like the version back in 1.2 or 1.3? My cousin had downloaded it and there was a purple Delfador... so I know at least that was changed. I am really interested, the "wise old one" motif in fantasy stories (Count of Monte Cristo, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, etc.) has always enchanted me and I would like to play. Is it safe to play? Isn't the 1.7 branch buggy?
There are dangers of bugs, but that does not mean you will definitely get anything that is game-stopping. You are safe to play through that campaign though.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Turuk wrote:What do people think of the two newest campaigns added, Legend of Wesmere and Delfador's Memoirs?

More to the point, since the above is a poll for your favorite campaign, what is your least favorite campaign and why?
I liked LoW; it's the best elf campaign. But that's mostly because in AOI, one of my Enchantresses got one-shotted in 60% terrain by a troll. AOI was kind of boring, actually; I remember it being too much of just "defeat these enemies" over and over (but that was a long time ago, so my memory may be off).

DM was boring in the beginning, but the middle was pretty interesting. I haven't finished it yet.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
mabeenot

Post by mabeenot »

My favorites are TRoW and HttT, partly because they establish two pivotal moments in Wesnoth's history and feature characters that are often referred to in other campaigns.
Turuk wrote:What do people think of the two newest campaigns added, Legend of Wesmere and Delfador's Memoirs?

More to the point, since the above is a poll for your favorite campaign, what is your least favorite campaign and why?
I just finished LoW and I think it's one of my least favorite. There were some high points, including the invisibility scenario and the ability to give commands to some allied AI players, but I thought the last few scenarios were a little anti-climactic and defeated the purpose of leveling up a bunch of units earlier in the game.

I bet a lot of new players go down the list of campaigns in order. This is good at first for learning how to play the game, but some might find the middle campaigns less exciting and move on to something else before they get down to some of the really inventive ones at the bottom. I jumped down to TRoW after only playing HttT, AOI, and AToTB simply because I wanted to know how it all began. Then I went back and played the rest knowing (for the most part) where everything fit along the timeline. TRoW and AOI definitely gave me an historical point of reference when I played LoW.

It'd be nice if players had an option as to how the campaigns were ordered. As an alternative to ordering them by difficulty, a player could push a button to have them listed in roughly chronological order.
Oliphant

Post by Oliphant »

UtBS, the first time I played it it was complete, but since then seems to have been in revision more often than not. I'm just about to fire up 1.6.4, I hope the campaign is complete and working now!
-- * ;) Grey as a mouse, Big as a house ;) * --
"I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV"
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

DiD, SoF, SotBE, and UtbS in that order.
stupidjaguar

Post by stupidjaguar »

mabeenot wrote:It'd be nice if players had an option as to how the campaigns were ordered. As an alternative to ordering them by difficulty, a player could push a button to have them listed in roughly chronological order.
This sounds like a very interesting idea. If not "push a button", at least a pop-up dialog somewhere that lists the campaigns in chronological order. One of the most interesting aspects of Wesnoth (among pretty much everything else) is that campaigns refer to each other and that they all have their place in Wesnothian history.
I am of two minds; I shall be complete when I can bring them into harmony.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

mabeenot wrote:It'd be nice if players had an option as to how the campaigns were ordered. As an alternative to ordering them by difficulty, a player could push a button to have them listed in roughly chronological order.
Hmm, potentially, the years(s) the campaigns cover could be included in their description shown to the right when selected.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

I liked LoW quite a bit. Many of the scenarios were pretty generic, but there were a few that really stood out, and it gave me a lot of opportunity to develop interesting elf units that I wasn't able to get in AOI.

I think the earliest campaigns (in terms of dev chronology, not Wesnoth's history) were less interesting because they focused more on good vs. evil. Since then, the various mainline campaigns have turned the history into a series of racial wars, power plays, and misunderstandings--which I find much more interesting. HttT and EI stand out like sore thumbs in this regard, but HttT can be forgiven because it has a widely varied set of missions and because none of those missions are Evacuation.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Zarel wrote:AOI was kind of boring, actually; I remember it being too much of just "defeat these enemies" over and over (but that was a long time ago, so my memory may be off).
It probably is more boring than most others because it was designed as a beginner's campaign so it can't be too complex and innovative: it has to teach the basics to you.
Turuk wrote:
Hmm, potentially, the years(s) the campaigns cover could be included in their description shown to the right when selected.
I agree completely. It would definitely add to the coherency of the canon campaigns. Of course, I'd advocate UtBS to be "???" as I do not believe it has a time given in the standard YW.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Aethaeryn wrote:I agree completely. It would definitely add to the coherency of the canon campaigns. Of course, I'd advocate UtBS to be "???" as I do not believe it has a time given in the standard YW.
I'll look into sorting this out tonight or tomorrow.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

I'm a little surprised that Northern Rebirth is lagging so low.

Dialog and characterization-wise, its arguably the strongest mainline campaign I've played.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
stupidjaguar

Post by stupidjaguar »

I am surprised too. DiD was interesting, but favorite campaign to play? The final showdown, two scenarios before the end, where all your veterans die, is NOT fun to play. I really enjoyed the long battles in NR where you could strategically implement several plans. Plus, the characters were interesting and fun, it's just the portraits I didn't like. I intend on playing it again soon. Just as soon as the bug in DM is sorted out.
I am of two minds; I shall be complete when I can bring them into harmony.
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

The Great Rings wrote:I'm a little surprised that Northern Rebirth is lagging so low.

Dialog and characterization-wise, its arguably the strongest mainline campaign I've played.
I dunno. Parts of its dialog and characterization were really good, but parts of it were less so. I've always thought the idea of having a designated comic relief character to be rather poor, especially if overdone (of course, NR isn't the only campaign that suffers from this). And I think the characterization tries to make the characters seem different, which is good, but it does this by trying to push the characters into flat stereotypes, which gets old quickly and is unrealistic. Parts of the dialog are amazing, I agree, but much of it's just: character saying something stereotypical of them, other characters say something stereotypical of them, oh, now all the characters have to say their catchphrases...

That's one of the things I think TSoF did best. All the characters were interesting and unique, without seeming flat.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Crunchy

Post by Crunchy »

Currently I've only played:

TSG
HttT
AOI

in that order and I'm currently playing LoW.

So far HttT was by far the best, but LoW seems really promising. I quite like having to lvl up my elves as I usually just level up a few captains/marshals and say screw the rest.
azhag_pl

Post by azhag_pl »

My favourites are IftU and ANO (few first scenarios didn't impressed me, but later it was the best campaign ever, until I played IftU).

From mainline: DiD and SotBE. I also like HttT and TRoW.

PS Hello everyone. :)