What is your favorite campaign?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What is your favorite mainline campaign?

Heir to the Throne
20%
A Tale of Two Brothers
No votes
An Orcish Incursion
2%
The South Guard
No votes
Liberty
4%
Legend of Wesmere
4%
The Eastern Invasion
No votes
The Hammer of Thursagan
No votes
Descent Into Darkness
11%
Delfador's Memoirs
No votes
The Sceptre of Fire
9%
Son of the Black-Eye
4%
The Rise of Wesnoth
13%
Northern Rebirth
13%
Under the Burning Suns
20%

Total votes: 46

Thanatos

Re: What is your favorite campaign?

Post by Thanatos »

DiD definately, mostly due to the attempt at story-telling... and the ending.
Although I still have huge problems whenever I play "Beginning Of The Revenge".
Someday, I will master this one... 8)
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

I particularly liked the writing in SoF. And the campaigns were the most fun, too.

IotU totally messes up the ending of DiD. Malin descends into darkness and gets defeated! He's not supposed to be a good guy! Not to mention each time someone joins, they throw a token fit about allying with undead, and then act like they've been longtime friends with the ancient lich for the rest of the game. And being okay with having their dead raised as undead "because it's necessary". And having him be comic relief? He's an undead lich with a cruel, cruel backstory... I just completely disliked the way Mal Keshar was handled. :/
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Thanatos wrote:DiD definately, mostly due to the attempt at story-telling... and the ending.
Now who would have guessed that one... :lol2:

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

I voted Heir to the Throne for the quality of the artwork, the length, the epic feel, and being the first, classic campaign.

I love the huge battles in Northern Rebirth though, and think that Talin and Haldric of Rise of Wesnoth are both more bad ass leaders than Konrad.

Note: I have only finished Liberty, Heir to the Throne, and, I think, A Tale of Two Brothers. Though I've also played a lot of Legend of Wesmere, Rise of Wesnoth, The South Guard, Eastern Invasion, and Under the Burning Suns, as well as nearly all of Northern Rebirth.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

The Great Rings wrote:I voted Heir to the Throne for the quality of the artwork, the length, the epic feel, and being the first, classic campaign.
There is something to that, the story images really add a great deal to your impression of that campaign, particularly the first time you play through it.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
stupidjaguar

Post by stupidjaguar »

Turuk wrote:
The Great Rings wrote:I voted Heir to the Throne for the quality of the artwork, the length, the epic feel, and being the first, classic campaign.
There is something to that, the story images really add a great deal to your impression of that campaign, particularly the first time you play through it.
I agree.

My only suggestion with Northern Rebirth was that the portraits be changed a little - Father Morvin/Marcus looks about 75, with brown bubbles around him, while Sister Theta/Thera, his wife, looks like an Anime character with a fur coat. Anita/Eryssa also looked a little strange, rolling her eyes and with her hand on her chin. I really, really like the generic portraits for each of those units, so perhaps that might be part of the reason I find the portraits for NR slightly tacky. HOWEVER, I lack the skill to create any of those images, so I am not really complaining here. Just throwing an opinion out there.
I am of two minds; I shall be complete when I can bring them into harmony.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

stupidjaguar wrote:My only suggestion with Northern Rebirth was that the portraits be changed a little - Father Morvin/Marcus looks about 75, with brown bubbles around him, while Sister Theta/Thera, his wife, looks like an Anime character with a fur coat. Anita/Eryssa also looked a little strange, rolling her eyes and with her hand on her chin. I really, really like the generic portraits for each of those units, so perhaps that might be part of the reason I find the portraits for NR slightly tacky. HOWEVER, I lack the skill to create any of those images, so I am not really complaining here. Just throwing an opinion out there.
I doubt few people would disagree with you, as many of the campaigns have dated character portraits. They will be reworked eventually, after all of the generic unit portraits are done.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
stupidjaguar

Post by stupidjaguar »

Turuk wrote:I doubt few people would disagree with you
This means you do not think that very many people would not agree with me.
This means you DO think that very few people would agree with me.

This makes me sad. :(
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

stupidjaguar wrote:This means you do not think that very many people would not agree with me.
This means you DO think that very few people would agree with me.

This makes me sad.
Ah, my mistake, I meant to put "I doubt many people would disagree with you."
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

Zarel wrote:I particularly liked the writing in SoF. And the campaigns were the most fun, too.

IotU totally messes up the ending of DiD. Malin descends into darkness and gets defeated! He's not supposed to be a good guy! Not to mention each time someone joins, they throw a token fit about allying with undead, and then act like they've been longtime friends with the ancient lich for the rest of the game. And being okay with having their dead raised as undead "because it's necessary". And having him be comic relief? He's an undead lich with a cruel, cruel backstory... I just completely disliked the way Mal Keshar was handled. :/
Zarel - Hmm... the same guy who is a Warzone 2100 developer? Same screen name, same avatar.

IfTU is not canon as such, since it's not a mainline campaign. The entire time between SotBE and UTBS, the time around and after UtBS and the time before TRoW are largely left untouched and shrouded in mystery for now.
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Skrim wrote:Zarel - Hmm... the same guy who is a Warzone 2100 developer? Same screen name, same avatar.
Indeed. The FOSS gaming world is a small world, innit? ;)
Skrim wrote:IfTU is not canon as such, since it's not a mainline campaign. The entire time between SotBE and UTBS, the time around and after UtBS and the time before TRoW are largely left untouched and shrouded in mystery for now.
IftU isn't canon, but it looks like it's intended to eventually be canon. It's roughly on the same quality level that UtBS is.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

I'm playing the campaigns in menu order and am currently on Son of the Black Eye, and personally I think that they get steadily more fun and creative as you go down the list (with the exceptions of Eastern Invasion, which is the one I like least, and HttT, which I think is somewhere in the middle). From a game design perspective, I think that makes sense--if you spend less time teaching people how to master the basics of gameplay, you spend more time getting the most out of the nuances of the game.

I would say that THoT and DiD have had the best storytelling so far (SotBE is pretty good too), and SotBE and SoF have the most fun and interesting overall level sets. I still have three more campaigns to go, though.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

What do people think of the two newest campaigns added, Legend of Wesmere and Delfador's Memoirs?

More to the point, since the above is a poll for your favorite campaign, what is your least favorite campaign and why?
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Turuk wrote:What do people think of the two newest campaigns added, Legend of Wesmere and Delfador's Memoirs?

More to the point, since the above is a poll for your favorite campaign, what is your least favorite campaign and why?
LoW was fairly fun, as much of it as I've played anyways. I haven't played Delfador's Memoirs yet, so I can't comment. I didn't even realize it was mainline.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
stupidjaguar

Post by stupidjaguar »

LoW was fun. Actually having the opportunity (and incentive) to level multiple Sylphs was a great experience. Even though the thing with the invisibility and the wolves was due to chance half the time, it was still pretty fun.

Is Delfador's Memoirs anything like the version back in 1.2 or 1.3? My cousin had downloaded it and there was a purple Delfador... so I know at least that was changed. I am really interested, the "wise old one" motif in fantasy stories (Count of Monte Cristo, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, etc.) has always enchanted me and I would like to play. Is it safe to play? Isn't the 1.7 branch buggy?