This is a Great, Great, Game.

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ancestral
Inactive Developer

Re: This is a Great, Great, Game.

Post by ancestral »

Actually Jetrel, you make a good point.

Despite the commercial aspect of creating an expansion, sequel, or re-imagination, sometimes it can ignite much new interest. (Of course, all the same, it can easily fail, too.) A lot of it is marketing, I'm sure — after all, we get new campaigns and multiplayer maps all the time — but usually people who are downloading software or reading gaming blogs don't hear about that.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

With just the major improvements over the last few versions (1.2, 1.4, 1.6), I think it's safe to say that Wesnoth 2.0 will feel like a totally different game than 1.0.

The "sequel" is coming, we'll just get to play the in-between stages too.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Not... really. After 1.8/1.9 will come 1.10/1.11. 2.0 is currently a nonentity to the best of my knowledge, since a 2.0 release generally implies a radical mechanic change rather than a gradual improvement, and such radical changes are just not in the offing.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

thespaceinvader wrote:Not... really. After 1.8/1.9 will come 1.10/1.11. 2.0 is currently a nonentity to the best of my knowledge, since a 2.0 release generally implies a radical mechanic change rather than a gradual improvement, and such radical changes are just not in the offing.
Didn't say it's coming after 1.6, just saying that 2.0 is going to eventually come. Even GNOME, king of gradualism, reached 2.0 eventually and will reach 3.0 eventually.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
PsychoticKittens

Post by PsychoticKittens »

Wesnoth 2.0 will definatly have trolls with laser-vision, and cyborg elves who launch rockets instead of arrows. Drakes will probly be Mecha-s, and dwarves will ride jet-planes instead of gryphons.
Creator of: Mercenaries Era; Modern Combat
Future Projects: Faunima: Land of Monsters
Temporarily Dropped Projects: Zombie Horde
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Jetrel is absolutely right about sequels. Think about it, in the commercial world you might have Warcraft I, which was good, and then Warcraft II, which was better, and then Starcraft, better again; all different content, built on an improving engine. The unfortunate thing is, once Starcraft is out, Warcraft I looks kinda crappy because it is built around this old engine, so hardly anyone plays it.

With Wesnoth, we provide something better: You got earlier versions of Wesnoth, which had just Heir to the Throne, as the only campaign. Then we added The Rise of Wesnoth (amongst other campaigns), as we improved the engine, but we also have kept polishing, and maintaining, Heir to the Throne, keeping it up to date with the latest release. Then we added Under the Burning Suns, and since then many new campaigns, and more content of all different types. We simultaneously maintain our legacy and release new content too.
thespaceinvader wrote:Not... really. After 1.8/1.9 will come 1.10/1.11. 2.0 is currently a nonentity to the best of my knowledge, since a 2.0 release generally implies a radical mechanic change rather than a gradual improvement, and such radical changes are just not in the offing.
Release numbers are kinda arbitrary. Our development model is one of evolution, A Good Thing in my view, and has worked well for us. This means that every new release will only have a certain amount of difference with the previous. Nevertheless, we will eventually recognize all the great changes we've made since 1.0 by making a 2.0 release. It'll reflect what we feel is a large set of additions to 1.0 that deserve recognition in a 2.0 release.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Crunchy

Post by Crunchy »

I just finished the Heir to the Throne campaign. I am simply amazed that this game is so high quality. It's very professional. Great art, great music, great story (I like the easter eggs too), great gameplay. Simply stunning. I play a lot of games with the latest cutting edge graphics and technology and I would still say this is one of the best games I've ever played. It kind of reminds me of Final Fantasy Tactics. If you haven't played that game it is almost nothing like a normal final fantasy game. It is a strategy rpg.

Anyway, great job guys and thanks!

PS. Version is apparently 1.6.4 for Linux.
Oliphant

Post by Oliphant »

This IS a great game, probably the best I've played in terms of both AI and quality of opponents available for MP.

The only thing that bugs me about the AI is how vicious it is in nailing your about to level units. It's supposed to make it tougher, it definitely makes me cry sometimes... but it is occasionally exploitable too. Carry around some units you don't want to level anyway who just happen to have XP as throwaways and you can get the AI to attack them (to its detriment) even when no human player would fall for the trick. But AI programming is really hard and I can't complain. It is the best I've played.

I'd like to see a variant where leaders are distinct units from armies, as in 'Sword of Aragon'. (check it out if you haven't it's an old DOS game, great engine (for the time), terrible AI, but still fun to play at least once).
-- * ;) Grey as a mouse, Big as a house ;) * --
"I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV"