Lore Collection Project

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

melinath

Lore Collection Project

Post by melinath »

This thread is to keep track of the Lore Collection Project. Basically, the idea is to go through all the mainline text and pull out just what exactly we're saying about the races, factions, and world of Wesnoth right now. This would then be condensed into a single reference document containing the current lore about everything in Wesnoth, as codified in mainline campaigns. It's best to reference wesnoth-unstable for the most up-to-date text, since there have been some changes since 1.6.

The procedure I personally would suggest is:
1. Extract all text specific to the segment of mainline in question and post it on the wiki. (~30 minutes for a scenario, but it varies a lot)
(Example: TRoW has already been extracted.)
Don't forget to check for campaign-specific units and text embedded in macros!

2. Analyze the extracted text.
Example:
TRoW Analysis.pdf.tar.gz
(96.82 KiB) Downloaded 1420 times
These tasks are very independent of one another. This means that if you have time to pull the text, you can give it a shot, even if you don't think you'd be able to analyze it.

Here's a list of the mainline segments. I've listed the number of scenarios next to each campaign; however, keep in mind this is not an exact measure of how much text there is. Some campaigns may be more text-heavy than others, some campaigns may have branches that aren't taken into account by the basic scenario count, and some campaigns may also have custom units or objects that would need to have their descriptions transcribed.
Red=nothing done.
Light blue=Text extraction underway/claimed.
Dark blue=Text extraction complete.
Light green=Text extraction complete, analysis underway/claimed.
Dark green=Text extraction and analysis complete.

The Rise of Wesnoth - 25 scenarios (melinath/melinath)
Delfador's Memoirs - 23 scenarios (melinath/melinath)
The Scepter of Fire - 9 scenarios ( Deusite/Deusite)
Descent into Darkness - 11 scenarios ( Deusite/Deusite)
The Eastern Invasion - 18 scenarios (Deusite/Deusite)

A Tale of Two Brothers - 4 scenarios (Turuk/???)
Under the Burning Suns - 13 scenarios ( Deusite/???)

An Orcish Incursion - 7 scenarios (Turuk/???)
The South Guard - 9 scenarios (Turuk/???)
Liberty - 9 scenarios (Turuk/???)
Northern Rebirth - 14 scenarios (esr/esr)
The Hammer of Thursagan - 13 scenarios (esr/esr)
Heir to the Throne - 25 scenarios (LBD/???)
Son of the Black Eye - 18 scenarios (LBD/???)
Dwarf Descriptions - 15 descriptions (Skrim/Skrim)
Elf Descriptions - 22 descriptions (Skrim/Skrim)

Legend of Wesmere - 17 scenarios
Remaining Mainline Unit Descriptions - 167 descriptions
Mainline race descriptions - 1 file
Last edited by melinath on August 14th, 2009, 2:57 am, edited 20 times in total.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Lore Collection Project

Post by Turuk »

I will do the text extraction for these.

A Tale of Two Brothers - 4 scenarios
An Orcish Incursion - 7 scenarios
The South Guard - 9 scenarios
Liberty - 9 scenarios
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
melinath

Post by melinath »

Noted.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Slight delay due to other issues, but Two Brothers extraction is complete.

Link: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/CampaignDialogue:TB
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
melinath

Post by melinath »

Thanks, Turuk. Nice thought to analyze where the village lies! I've updated the list in the first post and added a link to the page on the Campaign Dialogue hub.
LBD

Post by LBD »

I will do the extraction for Heir to the throne and son of blackeye
melinath

Post by melinath »

Noted. Thanks!
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

melinath wrote:Thanks, Turuk. Nice thought to analyze where the village lies! I've updated the list in the first post and added a link to the page on the Campaign Dialogue hub.
Actually, I'm pretty sure part of that was done by esr and it was done quite a while ago. (there are inconsistencies on the wiki that have long been fixed ingame)
melinath

Post by melinath »

AI wrote:Actually, I'm pretty sure part of that was done by esr and it was done quite a while ago. (there are inconsistencies on the wiki that have long been fixed ingame)
Ah... that explains why it speaks in the first person about setting the date for when TB takes place when that was done quite a while ago by esr. First person reference has been removed.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

AI wrote:Actually, I'm pretty sure part of that was done by esr and it was done quite a while ago. (there are inconsistencies on the wiki that have long been fixed ingame)
I made no claim to doing any of that.
melinath

Post by melinath »

Turuk wrote:
I made no claim to doing any of that.
True. I assumed you wrote it because it was on the page of the campaign dialogue which you had extracted and because it contained a first-person statement. Sorry.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

melinath wrote:True. I assumed you wrote it because it was on the page of the campaign dialogue which you had extracted and because it contained a first-person statement. Sorry.
Not your fault, I'm just speaking to any assumption that might exist that I was claiming someone else's thoughts as my own.
LBD

Post by LBD »

This is more work then I thought it was... still working on it.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

LBD wrote:This is more work then I thought it was... still working on it.
Indeed, it seems like a simple project but it will consume more of your time than you expect. Good luck getting your first campaign done and if you feel it is not something you'd like to do a second time around, please let melinath know as soon as possible so we can keep it open for others to attempt.
LBD

Post by LBD »

Oh crud... I accidentaly deleted the sixth campaign file for Heir to the throne. Specificaly I accidentaly blanked then saved the seige of einlanfador. Could I get a clean coppy? I'm worried I might have damaged other files, though I figure this as unlikely