Add Forum Friends To MP

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
DEATH_is_undead

Add Forum Friends To MP

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

I believe your friends/foe list should be added to the MP server. This way, I don't have to add all my old friend's every time i update, but there already there.
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Caphriel

Re: Add Forum Friends To MP

Post by Caphriel »

I really like this idea, and would like the addendum that it'd be neat if the server commands would update your friend/foe list if the player they were used on was registered. Not sure how easy/hard that'd be, though.
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

Caphriel wrote:I really like this idea, and would like the addendum that it'd be neat if the server commands would update your friend/foe list if the player they were used on was registered. Not sure how easy/hard that'd be, though.
Another good idea is the server would tell you when you got a post.
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Baufo
Inactive Developer

Post by Baufo »

Caphriel wrote:I really like this idea, and would like the addendum that it'd be neat if the server commands would update your friend/foe list if the player they were used on was registered. Not sure how easy/hard that'd be, though.
It's actually kind of doable, even though not entirely trivial. But is it really worth the effort? I doubt all too many people use the forum friends list.
I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again. -- Oscar Wilde
mabeenot

Post by mabeenot »

Baufo wrote: It's actually kind of doable, even though not entirely trivial. But is it really worth the effort? I doubt all too many people use the forum friends list.
It might encourage people to use the forum friends list more...

If nothing else, it would help tie those two elements of the Wesnoth community together. You already need to create an account on the forum if you want to reserve a name on the MP server. If you play a great MP game (or find a bug) and want to show it to everyone, you post a replay on the forum. The forum and MP server rely upon each other, but they currently don't mesh very well.
Last edited by mabeenot on July 31st, 2009, 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

mabeenot wrote:It might encourage people to use the forum friends list more...

If nothing else, it would help tie those two elements of the Wesnoth community together. You already need to create an account on the forum if you want to reserve a name on the MP server. If you play a great MP game (or find a bug) and want to show it to everyone, you post it on the forum. The forum and MP server rely upon each other, but they currently don't mesh very well.
People don't use A, and so there's no need for B, but if we make B, people might use A, providing that they use B.

They are reliant on each other for the sole fact that it allows you to reserve a name, but many players do not use this feature when playing online.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
mabeenot

Post by mabeenot »

Turuk wrote:People don't use A, and so there's no need for B, but if we make B, people might use A, providing that they use B.
"If you build it, they will come." :mrgreen:
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

mabeenot wrote:If you build it, they will come.
I checked with Kevin Costner about how well that worked out for him, and he said it was a once in a lifetime thing. So that argument doesn't hold water either.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Baufo wrote:
It's actually kind of doable, even though not entirely trivial. But is it really worth the effort? I doubt all too many people use the forum friends list.
I didn't think it was easy. Actually, I thought it would be prohibitively difficult. The reason I suggested it is that it would provide an external friend-management system, and a friend list independent of the user's computer. It's probably not worth the effort, but might be worth adding to a list of neat features to add when everything else is done? Given the number of people on the server with registered names, compared to the number who are unregistered, I wouldn't put in a non-trivial effort when there are other, more useful things to work on. And if I wouldn't do it myself... :lol2: