Mabuse

Re: Origins of the Naga (Wip)

Post by Mabuse »

nice work
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Finally some freetime to play a bit more with it.

The middle fin should be removed (or have simply a vestige of it), I tweaked a pixel near the chest area (near her left arm)

Its an improvement over the other one?

Waiting to see if the base frame is completed, I'm itching to pass the changes to the other frames as well, but need to wait for responses :P

Edit: Forgot to add the image :augh:
Attachments
Altered base frame due to suggestions
Altered base frame due to suggestions
jackla-base.png (2.43 KiB) Viewed 5377 times
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Looks good. Nice work.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I just gave a pass at the chest & shoulders, trying to make the features smaller. Not sure if it was really an improvement, but in case it's any help, here it is:
Attachments
jackla-base.png
jackla-base.png (2.46 KiB) Viewed 5335 times
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

to Doofus: I just saw your post :(

to TSI, there are all the frames (base, attack, defend, magic) for the naga jackla.

if you consider an improvement the changes doofus did, feel free to change the sprite (after all it isn't my pet) and I desire it to be in the game so I allow total "change" of the frame if thats for the better :)

As a note, I'm not sure about the shadows, so it is best if someone more expert than me can do the final touchs (I hope it isn't too taxing and they can do so when they please)

for my part, I consider the naga jackla finished and ready for the developers check dismissak/approval. It was nice to work with it and thank you for all the critique and help :mrgreen:
Attachments
NagaJackla.zip
all frames tweaked with the last changes.
(17.76 KiB) Downloaded 402 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

I'm not sure why you're addressing this to me, the Jackla is not a mainline unit, nor is this a mainline campaign. I've just been trying to help you get the art looking right =)
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Well, its addressed to the main developers, I remember a long time ago they said they would like to have units that even if they aren't in multiplayer, etc... could splice the game a bit (like campaings, and other stuff)

The purpose of this unit, is just that, an unit that people could easily add to their game/scenarios, especially since the nagas are rather short on the amount of units (and usually people don't use mermans as "enemies".

I was previously waiting for jetryl (now jetrel) to complete its nagini unit (sepparate branch as I remember reading) but decided that completing this first could somehow help a bit with that.

I don't know if any of the developers would include it in the game for use, but at least the unit has "good enough" quality and a decent amount of frames to be useable (I hope).
melinath

Post by melinath »

It would indeed be helpful to have some sort of "already-made, non-mainline, good-quality units" database. Perhaps on the wiki. I don't feel like making it at the moment, but maybe later, if someone doesn't beat me to it.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

I'll speak with Jet about his plans for the nagini when I next see him. I don't know exactly what he wants to do with them, so don't be too disappointed if this isn't used.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

thespaceinvader wrote:I'll speak with Jet about his plans for the nagini when I next see him. I don't know exactly what he wants to do with them, so don't be too disappointed if this isn't used.
Ok, I have sent him a pm about it too, tought as I wrote this is something that he may check when he wishes (since I think he has enough on his plate with the mermans and the drakes) as to be able to check this.

Thank you again for your time, and worry not, because even if its may not be used for mainline at least I hope it may slith its way into another user campaing.

Cheers and good summer!
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Nothing like talking directly with the boss to see the direction were things should go, and I hope I get some questions that I had not clear enough resolved.

So, UMC lovers you can take the naga as it is (its perfectly useable) as the jetman told me, BUT the main block I have now is that its "a naked naga with a wand so its boring". So I'll need to work more on the base frame to see if I can manage something more likeable. :hmm:
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Well don't have the naked naga with a wand keep having the wand. Exotic weapons. Like wrist knives or tail blades. Use some imagination maybe.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Bleh, gimp decided to hang and a few hours totally wasted. =(

So, this is a simple base frame with the weapon changed.
Attachments
Here is a test of weapon change to a kris (probably failed)
Here is a test of weapon change to a kris (probably failed)
jacklatestweapon.png (2.43 KiB) Viewed 5227 times
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

If I'm right a Kris is a wavy dagger right?

Yeahh... That's probably too detailed to fit into such a small size. My first impression was a white caterpillar or snake with a golden head.

Just go with a normal dagger, maybe make it serrated to look similar to the scales on the body.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Beyond the above advice about using a different weapon, you might want to also try facing the weapon upwards.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time