Mermen Tree Proposal

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Nobody suggested new terrains IIRC...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Jetryl,

The merman looks pretty cool with its tail moving, but I'm not sure how good it will look when the merman is actually moving.

The problem is that units in Wesnoth move so fast, even in non-accelerated mode, that I'm not sure if you can do a convincing looking animation. A swimming animation would probably be easier than most though.

I don't think that making decent looking gallops or walking would be possible without slowing down the rate units move at, and I don't think we want to do that. The speed the game moves at now is good, and we don't want to sacrifice good functionality for eye candy.

The functionality is pretty trivial to add, so if it can be demonstrated that it's useful, I'll add it.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber »

I would very humbebly suggest that you finish the branches for the mer/maid/man and then start making the extra eye candy. Which btw if you ask me ain`t necesarry
Read about the adventurers of my pen & paper RPG group

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on." - Guess who?
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

Jetryl, I really like your tail animation is great...

it's the body that's wrong. I don't know how hard it would be to do, but I think the mermen should lean forward while swimming...

a straight stance is ok when it's not moving, but I think leaning forward when swimming is a natural movement...
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Nice as the animation is, I really do think we're getting side-tracked here. Let's focus on fleshing out the Merfolk first, then we can add the pretty little touches which will make them really shine.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

result of the animation - you now have several base frames to decide from. I am going to build some units from the "old" base frame, but will keep the body in a separate layer in PS so they can get spliced if you want a different one.

And yes, I think more water terrain would be a good thing. Let's finish the units that use it though, first, so that it isn't the same for all units.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

so, uh anyways, here is a polish of the triton.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

merman warrior - can't look as manly as the triton, but can have a lot of gold bling-bling to distinguish him from the plain old merman.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

The merman hoplite.

Note that this is the one name that I feel rather adamant about - I want hoplite, not guard. The other names Sangel suggested are rather good - especially that javelineer - the word I was thinking of but couldn't remember at the time.

This one could possibly stand to have some edits by neo, especially around that shield.

Also, sangel, if you would, kindly, try and make a decent graphic for the hunter.

The netcaster is nice... though, um.. Shoot - we should probably don that line in iron and leather (there are kinds of leather that work just fine in water - usually from aquatic animals).

The javilineer line will definitely need a sling of javelins on his back - and those lines should not have tridents - not shiny gold ones. It might be okay for the netcaster line - but definitely not for the javilineer.

I liked sangel's original, simple spear he had made, and it should be on those.
Burnsaber

Post by Burnsaber »

They look awesome! Nice to have some more water units in wesnoth. Where are going to put the thread about the statics?
I foresee great arguments in that section and it would be great to put the discussion rolling early. It wouldn`t be very fun to have complete images but no statics.
Read about the adventurers of my pen & paper RPG group

"How could drops of water know themselves to be a river? Yet the river flows on." - Guess who?
autolycus

Post by autolycus »

About the merman hoplite: could you make the shield a bit more streamlined? Make it look a bit like a fin; some medieval shields had an upswept edge looking like a dorsal. Reason: underwater combat probably doesn't favour big flat shields. Too much resistance. Thanks!
as kingfishers catch fire
so dragonflies draw flame
-GMH
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Perhaps mermen shields can be a bit more like the elvish shields in the lord of the rings movies, where everything is very natural, graceful, and elegent. Remember the hoplite has to swim underwater carrying that shield, so you would want it to be as light and streamlined as possible.

Still, great to see new merfolk units.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Here are a couple more possible shield designs for the hoplite, one slightly "wavy", the other a split-shield design.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
autolycus

Post by autolycus »

Sangel: I like the split-shield look; the wavy one doesn't have the smooth clean curve which a fin-shaped design would have - it also looks a bit 'warped'. The split-shield merman also looks more aggressive because of the more obvious points of the shield.
as kingfishers catch fire
so dragonflies draw flame
-GMH