ice terrain?

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

I also have a problem with the change to alpha channel. I tried to use it for the convertion of ice terrain and my essay at cave wall but I failed. My old version of photoshop doesn't seem to handle alpha channel. When I try to apply alpha channel with graphic converter I either get the whole picture blank or I appear to succeed to get the alpha to over the hex mask but when I try the picture in BfW the mask come as white around the hex. It' s very frustrating :?
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
miyo

Post by miyo »

GIMP.

- Miyo
ettin
Lord of Glamdrol

Post by ettin »

miyo wrote:GIMP.
MacGIMP, Fink, Darwinports.
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

Here is the zipped folder with the 12 ice terrains reduced tto 70x70 and placed in the mask. I haven't made any special effort to deal with the alpha channel and won't be able to do much for the rest of the week.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Perhaps if cracking ice only turned into shallow water, suddenly slowing your unit?
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

fmunoz wrote:Yes there are seamless terrain functions insome programs ... but only for square tiles.. not for hexagonal ones..
I made a photoshop action that really helps make the tiles seamless. No gurantees that it will work in versions other than CS.

Basicly you put a correctly sized hex on it's own layer in the middle of the template psd. Making sure your new tile layer is selected, you can run either action:
One will show you how about a dozen of the hexes look together,
and the other will shift your hex around so the edges become 3 seams in the middle of the hex, and you can easily paint over the glitches.

Also don't delete the "master shape" layer. It's neccesary for one of the actions to run.

No warrently of suitibility for any purose is implied, :wink: but it works for me.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Looking at the ice terrain in wesnoth recently, it occured to me that Christophe's ice is better than what we have, especially with the circular cracks. Is there a reason why the icepack he posted back in March was never implemented? Or was it replaced by the ice images we currently have, which were deemed even better?
miyo

Post by miyo »

Eleazar has CVS write access and is supposed to commit his own stuff. If it is not committed, blame him.

Btw, did you check if ice in CVS HEAD is the new one? At least changelog claims there is new or improved ice =)

- Miyo
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

This ice is from March, so it's very old.

I assume Eleazar has added much improved ice to the CVS-Head. I don't have access to the CVS, so that's why I forgot to check. I'll be interested to see what ice looks like when 0.8.3 comes out.
miyo

Post by miyo »

I have added new redirector;

http://webcvs.wesnoth.org

There you can browse to images/terrain/ and check what is in CVS HEAD.

- Miyo

ps. don't click the filename when you find the file you want to see... click the version number next to it
miyo

Post by miyo »

Btw, Web based CVS browser has been available as long as we have been using CVS.

- Miyo
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

About the ice terrain: The one witch was used is an really old version I made and that should have been replaced with a more recent one 6 month ago. I noticed it wasn't the case about 2 month ago and informed Dave about it. It was apparently a simple mistake of using tan outdated file and Cedric was supposed to replace the file in June but it didn't happen. It would be nice if the proper ice terrain was included, included the broken ice variant.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Miyo, thanks I hadn't realized I could browse the contents of CVS head online.

It would be nice to see Christophe's ice terrain implemented after all this time. IMO his cracks are much better than the current ones.
miyo

Post by miyo »

WebCVS tells that last commit of ice.png is by Eleazar, so actually he has committed the latest version. I trust Eleazar is doing the right thing for the tiles.

- Miyo
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

quartex wrote:I assume Eleazar has added much improved ice to the CVS-Head.
I'm in the process of moving and won't have regular net access for a few weeks. However i can clear up this confusion. :?

The change i made to the CVS head was just a minor housekeeping one. I don't remember if i was fixing a minor glitch or just shrunk the file size.

I wasn't aware of C33's ice at the time, but even if i was i would have needed upper Dev go-ahead to commit it.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity